Professional Staff Collective Agreement 2014 - 2017
58. Abandonment of Employment
- Professional staff collective agreement
- Where an employee is absent from duty without permission for a continuous period of 5 working days or more, the Head of Cost Centre, or nominee, will make all reasonable attempts to contact the employee requesting the reason for the unauthorised absence.
- This will include the Head of Cost Centre, or nominee sending a registered letter to the employee at their last known address informing them that, unless they inform the Head of Cost Centre of the reason for their absence, or unless they return to duty within 10 days after the date of which the letter was sent, the employment of the employee may be terminated.
- If the employee fails to respond to the University’s correspondence within 10 working days then the Head of Cost Centre will send the employee a letter advising them that their appointment has been terminated effective from the date of that letter.