An A–Z listing of helpful web pages and services
Check out the desk plus the A to Z listing of services further below.
The Desk is a useful link that we encourage all UNE students to access and aims to support Australian tertiary students to achieve mental and physical health and well-being. Being a student can be a challenging time and many students do not access support services for a range of reasons including time pressures, not knowing where to go for help and feeling embarrassed.
Download this list of mental health support Websites, Phone Lines and Apps compiled by the Youth Mental Health Project team within Hunter New England Local Health District.
- Tenants NSW
- The Share House Survival Guide http://rlc.org.au/publication/share-housing-survival-guide-nsw
- UNE Life Advocacy & Welfare Accommodation Information
- Housing NSW 1800 152 152
Alcohol and other drugs
- Alcohol and Drug Information Service - 24/7 education, information, referral, crisis counselling and advice. Regional and Rural NSW Freecall 1800 422 599
- Alcohol and Drug Foundation or ADF
- ADF Drug Facts Up-to-date information on drugs and drug prevention
- National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre Provides information on publications, useful links, research, drug trends, drug information and the latest research
- Counselling Online is a service where you can communicate with a counsellor about an alcohol or drug related concern using text interaction.
- Drug Information @ the State Library NSW Free information about drugs, alcohol and the law for the community of NSW.
- Your Room A place to get facts about alcohol and other drugs.
- S.M.A.R.T. - Self Management and Recovery Training - is a peer managed, self-help group that assists you to recover from alcohol and drug use. SMART Recovery teaches practical skills to help you deal with your problems enabling you to abstain and achieve a healthy lifestyle balance.
- Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre - Treatment, education, and research
Community Self-help Groups
- Information about the Armidale region
- Armidale Regional Council Includes a comprehensive community directory
- Armidale Volunteer Referral Service, 141 Faulkner Street Armidale. Contact (02) 6770 3838
- Armidale Men's Shed (02) 6772 5899
- Neighbourhood Centre (Armidale) – information and referral, especially on welfare related matters – (02) 6772 4373
- Volunteering Australia
- Salvation Army social services Social services without discrimination
- Lifeline Get Help - Facts and Information about a range of issues and services.
- The Butterfly Foundation - comprehensive information and support for people with eating disorders
Emergency Relief Providers
- UNE Advocacy and Welfare The UNE Student Food Pantry, Advocacy and Welfare Office, Armidale campus
- UNE Student Emergency Assistance Fund For students experiencing unexpected or unforeseen financial hardship
- Global Care Food Pantry Armidale Affordable food items supplied by Christian Outreach Centre, Claude Street, Armidale
- St Vincent de Paul Society Armidale Diocesan Central Council. Check out how to get help for finances, food and more
- ASIC's Money Smart Guide - See links to directories for emergency relief in your area
- Foodbank - Click the Need Help? tab to find the Food Bank contact in your state, who can then link you to local organisations who distribute food to individuals
Family Support Services
- Family Support Service (Armidale) – advocacy, referral, support and practical assistance for families with young children – 89 Rusden St Armidale 9.00am to 4.00pm Mon to Thurs (02) 6772 7243
- Brighter Futures New England - services and targeted support for children aged 0-8 years and their families -Suite 1/215 Beardy St Armidale, phone (02) 6771 4700. Details about Brighter Futures programs here.
- HCFA Helping Children and Families Association Inc. – Armidale charity whose mission is to connect famiies of young children within the community. (02) 6776 6209
- Centacare New England North West - Support to strengthen family relationships, help families stay together, and assist families through separation
- Relationships Australia is a not-for-profit organisation with no religious affiliations, and provides relationship support services for individuals, couples, families and communities.
- Parentline- telephone counselling for parents with children aged 0 – 18 years, 9 to 4.30pm, Monday to Saturday 132 055
- What's OK at Home? Website by the Domestic Violence Resource Centre to help people understand what family violence is, how to get help, and more.
- Fly Lady: Many women students who are running a house and/or raising a family have recommended the following website for how to get one's house, studies and life in order, and how to do so with lots of humour and compassion.
- Gamblers Anonymous (Armidale) – meets at Armidale Neighbourhood Centre, 129 Rusden St - 7pm Thursdays.
- Gambling Help Online: Counselling and support online 24/7
- NSW Gambling Help – 24hr phone counselling service for people with a gambling problem. 1800 858 858
- The Northern Rivers Gambling Service A website "designed to help those who may have a gambling problems and those who are affected by someone with a gambling problem"
Gay and Lesbian - GLBTIA+
- Q Life is Australia's first nationally oriented counselling and referral service for people of diverse sex, genders and sexualities. Call 1800 184 527.
- ACON Community, Health and action Information on health promotion, especially within the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender communities
- 2010 – support for young gays, lesbians, bisexual and transgender 10am to 6 pm 1800 652 010.
- The Gender Centre - A Sydney-based site which offers a wide range of services and information for people with gender issues, their partners, families and friends. Good information on all aspects of transition.
- PFlag Australia for accurate and unbiased information for families and friends regarding gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersex, and queer issues.
- healthdirect Symptom Checker Free Australian online health advice from Australian State and Federal Departments of Health.
- Hepatitis NSW NSW Hepatitis Information Line 1800 803 990
- AMSA — A wellbeing guide for medical students - by the Australian Medical Students Association
- Tune In Not Out (TINO) Stories, videos, topics relevant to youth - including sexual health, body image, mental health, sexuality, communication and lots more!
- Canteen - Online support for young people (12 to 24 year olds) living with cancer
- Positive Life NSW: The voice of people with HIV since 1988. Treatments Officer (02) 9206 2177
- HIV Information Line – The Albion Centre - telephone information and advice Mon to Fri 9am to 4pm, 1800 451 600 or (02) 9332 9700
- HIV/AIDS Positive Counselling, AIDS Council of NSW 1800 063 060
- North and North West Community Legal Service Inc. (Armidale) 1800 687 687 or (02) 6772 8100
- Chamber Magistrate (Armidale). Call in service at the Court House for free procedural advice (not legal representation) Mon to Fri 10am to 12.30 pm and 2pm to 3.30 pm - Armidale Court House.
- Legal Aid NSW. Advice and assistance in Armidale on bi-monthly basis. Ph. Tamworth Office, (02) 6766 6322 to arrange appointment.
- Family Law Court Information – phone the National Enquiry Centre 1300 352 000
- Law Society of NSW - For the Community – Provides information about finding a solicitor, disputes and mediation, making a complaint, and more.
- Tenants NSW - the website of the Tenants' Union of NSW and network of Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services 1800 088 592
- Redfern Legal Centre - Free, confidential legal advice to international students living in NSW.
- Armidale Men's Shed Building connections in the Armidale Community through arts and crafts.
- Mensline Australia (24 hours) Support and resources for men who are dealing with family and relationship difficulties such as separation 1300 789 978
- White Ribbon Australia - Engaging men to make women's safety a man's issue too
- Mentalhealthonline - For a list of national and statewide mental health crisis services.
- NSW Mental Health Services - For a list of mental health and other support services.
- Head to Health - For a comprehensive list of links to online self-help sites
- Understanding Anxiety: A NSW Health web site to help you recognise and understand signs and symptoms of anxiety and how to get treatment to manage it
- Blue Pages: Provides advice about depression for consumers
- Beyond Blue: Information about depression and available treatments
- Batyr: A for purpose organisation that focuses on preventative education in the area of youth mental health.
- Blue Knot Foundation: Supports survivors, their families and communities through professional phone counselling, information, resources, advocacy and educational workshops.
- Carer Services - Support for Mental Health Carers
- dNet: Depression services - Information, help and support for people who have depression or are depressed
- Flourish Australia - Where mental well-being thrives.
- Headspace Australia's National Youth Mental Health Foundation
- Health Direct Up-to-date information on A to Z of health topics including mental health issues such as bipolar disorder or schizophrenia
- Embrace Mental Health Empowering Australians from multicultural backgrounds to embrace mental health and wellbeing
- Reach Out Information for young people in issues such as mental health, drugs and alcohol, eating disorders, relationships, school and university, sexuality and coming out
- SANE Australia - Information about mental health and illness, including treatments, support, and how you can help yourself
- The Mood Gym
- The Black Dog Institute is an educational, research, clinical and community-oriented facility dedicated to improving understanding, diagnosis and treatment of mood disorders.
- NEPIR - New England Partners in Recovery: Supporting people living with mental health issues, their families and carers, and supporting services.
- Virtual Clinic A website used for research for Internet Treatment of Anxiety and Depressive Disorders
- Marie Stopes Australia Non-profit organisation. National, independently accredited safe abortion, vasectomy and contraceptive provider
- Family Planning NSW referral and information on reproductive and sexual health services in NSW
- Pregnancy, Birth and Baby helpline - provides counseling and support for women or their partners who are experiencing an unplanned pregnancy. Free call 1800 882 436 or website information here
- PANDA - Support for Perinatal Anxiety and Depression Australia
- Armidale Sexual Assault Service (02) 6776 9655 (BH). The Sexual Assault Crisis Team is available via the 24hr Emergency Department of the Armidale Hospital on (02) 6776 9500. For a list of Sexual Assault Services in the New England area, go here.
- NSW Rape Crisis Centre – 24hr state-wide telephone and online, crisis intervention, support counselling and referral service for anyone who has been sexually assaulted. 1800 424 017. Special number for hearing impaired TTY (02) 9181 4349
- NSW Police — information about adult sexual assault
- Victims Services has information on how to access counselling and financial assistance and your rights as a victim. 1800 633 063
- Blue Knot Foundation Empowering recovery from childhood trauma. Blue Knot helpline 1300 657 380.
- For information about deciding if, how, when, why, where, and with whom to be sexually active, go to our comprehensive sexual health webpage.
- Women's Shelter (Armidale) – As part of Armidale Women's Homelessness Support Service Inc., the Shelter provides emergency accommodation, medium term housing and/or personal support for women and children escaping domestic violence and/or facing homelessness 1800 005 352 or (02) 6772 5352
- Women NSW – Free Confidential information and referral to a wide range of service in NSW. Issues covered include domestic violence, anti-discrimination, women's health, education and training, women and work, accommodation, child care, government services and student resources. 1800 817 227.
- 1800RESPECT National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service. - 1800 737 732 or 1800RESPECT
- Women's Legal Service NSW – free legal advice (02) 8745 6988, 1800 801 501
- When Love Hurts — A woman's guide to understanding abuse in relationships
- Many UNE students who are running a house and/or raising a family have recommended the following website for how to get one's house, studies and life in order, and how to do so with lots of humour and compassion. www.flylady.net