English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
The EAP course is designed for those who wish to develop their English language proficiency and study skills for tertiary study in Australia. Upon successful completion of the course, students who meet the academic requirements may be eligible for direct entry into The University of New England.
This course is also useful for students who wish to improve their English language skills to an advanced level, but do not necessarily want to undertake further study.
The EAP course aims to:
- develop skills and strategies in
- speaking and understanding English in academic contexts
- speaking and understanding English in informal social/community contexts
- reading English
- for academic purposes
- for general communication purposes
- writing English
- for academic purposes
- for more general communication purposes
- using study resources
- library research skills
- introductory computing skills for study purposes
- extend learners' awareness of cross-cultural differences and of how to use language appropriately to negotiate these differences
- develop strategies appropriate for independent learning in an Australian university.
Candidates must meet the following entry requirements:
- completion of secondary school
- have completed some English studies at secondary school
- be of university entrance age (17 years or above)
|EAP Module 1||IELTS 4.5 with no sub-band less than 4.0, or equivalent.|
|EAP Module 2||IELTS 5.0 with no sub-band less than 4.5, or equivalent.|
|EAP Module 3||IELTS 5.5 with no sub-band less than 5.0, or equivalent.|
|EAP Module 4||IELTS 6.0 with no sub-band less than 5.5, or equivalent.|
|EAP Module 5||IELTS 6.5 with no sub-band less than 6.0, or equivalent.|
Students with low English proficiency levels may be required to undertake preliminary study in General English for up to 20 weeks prior to entering EAP. Classes operate for 25 hours each week, Monday to Friday, from 9am to 4pm.
If students do not meet the direct entry criteria for UNE upon completion of the course, they'll be given the option of sitting for the next IELTS test conducted at the centre.
Students will receive a Progress Report and a Certificate of Completion at the conclusion of the course.
Dates and Fees
View our course Dates and Fees for further information on associated costs and intake periods.