SSAF Fact Sheet for Students and Stakeholders

What is the SSAF?

The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) is a fee charged to the students for the services and amenities of a non-academic nature. The allocation of SSAF funds are determined in consultation with students and student representative bodies, and guided by the SSAF Committee. All SSAF funded projects must be considered by the Committee and are subject to Executive approval.

What is the fee used for?

Funds generated by the SSAF are used to improve the quality and quantity of services and amenities that fall within one or a number of expenditure categories, as specified under legislation. These categories include:

  • Providing food or drink to students on a campus of the higher education provider
  • Supporting a sporting or other recreational activity by students
  • Supporting the administration of a club most of whose members are students
  • Caring for children of students
  • Providing legal services to students
  • Promoting the health or welfare of students
  • Helping students secure accommodation
  • Helping students obtain employment or advice on careers
  • Helping students with their financial affairs
  • Helping students obtain insurance against personal accidents
  • Supporting debating by students
  • Providing libraries and reading rooms (other than those provided for academic purposes) for students
  • Supporting an artistic activity by students
  • Supporting the production and dissemination to students of media whose content is provided by students
  • Helping students develop skills for study, by means other than undertaking courses of study in which they are enrolled
  • Advising on matters arising under the higher education provider's rules
  • Advocating students' interests in matters arising under the higher education provider's rules
  • Giving students information to help them in their orientation
  • Helping meet the specific needs of overseas students relating to their welfare, accommodation and employment.

A detailed list of allowable expenditure and examples are available on the SSAF website. SSAF funds must not be used to support any political party or the election of a person to a federal, state or local government body.

Who is charged the fee, do I have to pay?

All domestic students are liable to pay the Student Services and Amenities Fee. Internation students studying on-campus are also required to pay the SSAF. From 2020, All students will be liable to pay the SSAF.  Failure to either pay the Student Services and Amenities Fee or complete an SA‐HELP form by the Fee Payment or Census date will result in access to the following services being suspended:

  • Academic Transcripts
  • Awarding your Testamur at Graduation.

Who much is the fee and when do I pay?

The fee will be invoiced per unit that you are enrolled in. The SSAF is due on the Census Date for each Trimester, at the same time as other course fees. You can find the relevant dates on the Principal Dates page.

The table below illustrates the 2019 Student Services and Amenities Fees

Enrolment Type

Liable for SSAF in 2019

Per 6 credit points*


Domestic coursework (including, sub-degrees, honours, non award, OUA)



Deferral of the fee to SA-HELP is available for eligible students

Higher Degree Research


$113.50 Per Research Period for F/Time
$85.00 P/Time

Deferral of the fee to SA-HELP is available for eligible students

International on campus students



SSAF is payable per Study Period

Cross Institutional



SSAF is paid at the home institution

International Exchange Students


Pathway Enabling  No 

Am I eligible for SA-HELP?

SA‐HELP is a loan scheme that can assist eligible students by deferring student services and amenities fees through the Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP). Find out if you are eligible for SA‐HELP at the following website:

Do I have a say in how the fee is used?

Yes. UNE has a formal consultation process with students and their representative bodies to consider the specific uses and priorities for the allocation of student services and amenities fees. Consultation is conducted through forums, surveys, regular feedback and the SSAF Committee. There are a number of ways you can have input to SSAF allocation, contact details are included below.

Where do I find more information?

The best place to start is the UNE SSAF website. This will provide links to relevant legislation, guidelines and supporting material.

Alternatively, you can contact the SSAF Project Manager by email at