Examination Room Instructions
Examination Room Instructions
EXAMINATION ROOM INSTRUCTIONS
- Candidates are required to obey any instructions given by a Supervisor during the conduct of examinations.
- Failure to follow any reasonable instruction from an Examination Supervisor will be treated as Academic Misconduct for which penalties apply.
- On the instruction of the Supervisor, candidates may enter the examination room a few minutes before the commencement of their examination.
- Unless otherwise specified no textbooks, notes, written materials or blank sheets of paper may be taken to examination desks. They must be left at the front of the room or in an area specified by the Supervisor.
- Electronic devices (iPods/iPads/iPhones, smart watches, MP3 players, cameras, recording devices, headphones, Kindles and e-readers, electronic dictionaries and any communication device) are not permitted in the exam room. Mobile phones may be turned off (including alarms) and placed face down under your chair. An electronic device on your person or in your pocket during the exam, even if turned off, will be treated as misconduct.
- Mobile phone detectors may be in use in your examination venue.
- Smart watches are prohibited in the exam room.
Normal watches are permitted but must be removed from the candidates wrist and
placed on the corner of the desk for the duration of the exam. All
watches will be checked. Some Fit Bit type devices are internet enabled
and capable of some communication. To avoid any problems during your
exam, please do not bring any device which resembles a smart watch.
- When the use of textbooks or other aids is permitted in an examination these may be taken to the desks and will be scrutinised by the Supervisor.
- Candidates may place wallets and purses under their desks. Bags may not be taken to desks but must be placed at the front of the room or in an area specified by the Supervisor.
- Security cannot be provided for any item left outside a room, at the front of a room or in an area specified by a Supervisor. Candidates are advised to bring only essential items to the examination rooms and to remove any valuables from bags left unattended.
- The start time shown for the commencement of examinations in your examination details, on the instruction of the Supervisor, is the time at which candidates may commence their examination question papers. Some external venues have different start times to UNE and it is the candidate’s responsibility to check their venue instructions carefully.
- Candidates may not enter the examination room after one hour has elapsed since the time writing commenced. Late arrivals will not be allowed additional time except in special circumstances where permission has been granted by the Coordinator, Examinations Unit.
- No candidate shall be permitted to leave the examination room until after one hour has elapsed since the time of commencement of writing. Candidates who present themselves at the wrong examination room may if they have sighted the paper being held in that room, only leave when escorted by a Supervisor.
- Examination question papers, answer sheet or examination booklets must not be marked in any way until the instruction to commence writing has been given by the Supervisor.
- Candidates are advised to read with care all instructions at the beginning of an examination paper and to note particularly:
- the number of questions to be answered;
- any compulsory questions; and
- whether separate books are required for the various sections.
- All examination answers must be written in the examination books provided or on the question paper and candidates are advised to note the following directions regarding their use:
- handwriting must be legible;
- answers must be numbered to correspond with the numbers of the questions;
- examination answer books must be handed in entire. No writing is allowed on any other paper except that which is provided with an examination paper by the supervisor;
- the cover of each examination book must be fully and correctly filled in during the time allowed for the examination. The numbers of the questions attempted and the number of books used should be stated on the covers of the books in the areas provided for this purpose;
- the candidate's name must appear on the right hand corner of all graphs and maps which must be placed inside the cover of the examination books.
- No conversation is permitted in the examination room except with an examination Supervisor. Candidates who wish to consult a Supervisor should raise their hand.
- Candidates will be permitted to leave the examination room temporarily during an examination only if escorted by a Supervisor.
- Smoking is not permitted in the examination room.
- A warning will be given by the Supervisor ten minutes before the end of an examination.
- Candidates may not leave their desks during the final ten minutes of the time allowed for an examination.
- When the Supervisor announces the end time for an examination, candidates must cease writing immediately
- Candidates must remain seated at the end of the examination until advised by the Supervisor that they may leave the examination room. All examination books must be collected from the desks before candidates may leave.
- No examination stationery may be removed by the candidates from an examination room.
- All examination question papers and booklets and other materials must be handed in.
Penalties will apply if examination question papers or answer booklets are removed from the examination room, even for short periods of time, including loss of any marks for the work removed from the exam room.