Supporting Information for International Students

For information regarding Online Exams, Graduation, Extensions, Colleges, Intensives, Services, and any other information that may apply to both domestic and international students, please refer to the Supporting Information for Students.

I would like to apply for the Student Emergency Assistance Fund. Am I eligible?

Funding has been made available from the University to support quick response grants for UNE students experiencing financial hardship impacting their ability to continue their academic studies (course program or research) at the University.

Student Emergency Assistance Fund

The grants are intended for students who find themselves in unexpected or unforeseen financial hardship, specifically as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. The fund does not have the capacity to support a recipient with ongoing costs, and students should note that funds, where provided, are done so on a one-off basis and there are limits in terms of how much funding is available or can be provided to each applicant.

When will the change to studying online take place?

Departments and faculties are in the process of transitioning units to an online format. Each student will be contacted directly by his or her course faculty regarding online units and information so please be patient until they contact you with further guidance.

Until you are officially able to study units online, lectures and tutorials are running as usual on-campus unless you are notified otherwise.

I don’t feel comfortable attending classes face-to-face, what should I do?

If you do not feel comfortable, attending classes during this interim period will not be enforced and you do not need to attend. However, please inform your unit coordinators of this so they can provide you with any further information you may need to be able to allow this to happen.

Will studying fully online in Australia breach my visa obligations?

Switching to an online delivery of your units will not affect compliance with your student visa conditions.

Do I need to change my enrolment to ‘online’ officially while studying in Australia?

No, you will remain enrolled as an on-campus student in accordance with your visa. No changes to your official enrolment will be made.

How long will I be required to study online?

For the rest of Trimester 1 studies will move to online. Should future studies be required to be online (ie. from Trimester 2 onwards) UNE will keep you updated. These arrangements however, are subject to change.

If I am studying online, can I return to my home country and do so?

We cannot advise you to return home at this stage, as further travel bans may arise that will impact your study for the remainder of 2020. Although you will not need to be on campus for Trimester 1, the Federal Government has stated that international travel is not advised for the near future.

I do not wish to study online and would like to return home – what now?

You are able to suspend your studies for Trimester 1 without academic or financial penalty. You will be required to have evidence of a current travel ticket for the suspension to be processed and approved.

I am studying at UNE as an exchange student, what should I do?

You should continue with your UNE studies unless your home university or government recalls you home. If you are recalled, then you must contact UNE International and we can discuss options of continuing your exchange studies online from your home country.

Please note that UNE cannot continue your enrolment if you are formally recalled and choose not to go. In this circumstance, UNE would have to cancel your enrolment which may result in the cancellation of your student visa.

I have not arrived in Australia yet, but I will be arriving in the near future. Is there anything I need to know before coming?

The Federal Government has put in place an enforced 2-week self-isolation period for all international travelers arriving in Australia. From now, if you are arriving in Australia you will be required to self-isolate for 14 days. We have isolation areas setup on-site at our residential colleges.

We are advising all incoming students to bring a laptop or large device with them to use during potential self-isolation and/or for online study.

I have to self-isolate on-campus, what do I need to know?

If you are required to self-isolate, you will:

  • Stay in your accommodation (on-campus or your own private accommodation)
  • Not see visitors
  • Ask others who are not required to be isolated to get food and necessities for you – the colleges and UNE International are prepared to support you with this service if you are new and do not have anyone to help you.
  • Practice simple hygiene by covering your cough, sneezes with your elbow, and wash your hands thoroughly.
  • Allow fresh air into your room by opening windows, if possible.
 I am residing in private accommodation when I arrive – how do I self-isolate? 

It is important you know that you are responsible for ensuring you self-isolate in your residence in a suitable way that meets NSW Health requirements.

Please follow the same self-isolation items as per the above and the below:

  • Only people you live with should be permitted to come inside your place of residence (where applicable), however you should stay in a different room or be separated as much as possible. Get others such as friends or family, who are not required to isolate, to bring you food or other necessities. If you do not have access to this, please contact UNE International directly.
I am an international HDR student, what are my options during this period?

It is our aim to support all our HDR candidates through this difficult time. To do this, a range of options are available to overcome any difficulties that may be encountered. For example:

  • deferred commencement of candidature and/or scholarship
  • leave of absence
  • extension of candidature
  • continue to work “in-country” on your research project, by developing a research plan with regular remote contact (via skype, zoom) with your supervisory team etc.

Please speak to your Principal Supervisor, Supervisory Team or the Research Services Office if you would like to discuss your circumstances and the options available to you whether or not you are still in your home country or have arrived in Australia.

Support and Wellbeing

We understand that there have already been some significant changes to your study experience throughout Trimester 1 and appreciate that this is a stressful time for everyone.

University support services remain available to all students to ensure that you can access the help that you need to succeed in your studies. We are here to work with you in overcoming any challenges that you may experience due to necessary changes.

Does UNE offer a counselling service?

Yes. Our Counselling and Psychological Services Team is available to offer support both over the phone or Zoom.

How do I book a counselling appointment?

You can arrange an appointment by phoning (02) 6773 2897 between 9am-4pm weekdays.

I need support quite urgently, can you help me?I need support quite urgently, can you help me?

Certainly. If you need an appointment sooner rather than later, please ask to be placed on a waiting or cancellation list. We can then contact you as possible appointment times become available.

Where should I go if I require urgent support outside of office hours?

Please call the UNE After Hours Crisis Support Line on 1300 661 927 for assistance. You can also text on 0488 884 169.

Check out the Urgent Help Directory for additional services.

I had a counselling appointment, but my circumstances have changed and I won’t be able to attend anymore. What do I do?

We understand that things come up. If you can’t make your appointment, please phone to let us know. This also helps your fellow students as we may be able to offer your appointment to another student on the waitlist.

My circumstances have changed and I no longer have access to reliable internet. Are you able to help me?

We know that for many of our on-campus students in particular, the last week has seen a significant change to your living situation. If you are now in a situation in which you have unreliable internet connections and will struggle to access your lectures and unit content, please contact the Student Access & Inclusion Team.

What is Student Access & Inclusion?

The Student Access & Inclusion Team is able to provide practical support and assistance for students impacted by a variety of circumstances and conditions to ensure that you are not disadvantaged and can continue to access your studies.

How do I contact Student Access & Inclusion to register?How do I contact Student Access & Inclusion to register?

If you’d like to discuss your situation, you can make a phone appointment with one of our team members by calling (02) 6773 2897. If you are more comfortable with email, you can send a confidential email to

 Do you offer any other personal support?

Sometimes, it’s comforting to know that you’re not alone in your concerns or worries, and to read about ways that you may be able to address those concerns in your own day-to-day life. The counselling team has a wide variety of information and tips sheets that we’d encourage you to check out.

I’m feeling quite isolated as a result of the changes. I don’t think I need a counselling appointment, but is there a way I can stay connected with others?

It’s normal to feel a bit uncertain as you adjust to significant changes, and you aren’t alone in feeling this way. But we’re glad you asked this, as the UNE Life Team has created the perfect space for you. Make sure to check out the Bunker Down website, a place to escape, connect, and check out a tonne of wonderful resources whilst we all stay safe at home. If you’re on Facebook, we’d love to have you join the Bunker Down Facebook Group, where hundreds of other students in similar circumstances are chatting about how they’re getting through.