Vice-Chancellor, Professor Annabelle Duncan, presented Professor Barbara Chambers and Professor Snow Barlow with Distinguished Alumni Awards during functions held in Canberra and Melbourne last week.
Officially ‘retired’, Prof. Chambers was recognised for her tireless work to empower women and girls in developing countries. Since 2003 her work has taken her to Papua New Guinea, Cambodia and Pakistan and she is currently advising on gender equity in international development projects.
Prof. Barlow, an eminent plant physiologist and agricultural scientist, was recognised for his leadership roles as science educator and in examining the impact of greenhouse gases on agricultural and natural resource-based industries. He is currently Foundation Professor of Horticulture and Viticulture at the University of Melbourne.
Professor Sean Grimmond was also presented with a 2015 Distinguished Alumni Award at the Melbourne event.
Recipient of the Young Distinguished Alumni Award, Dr Manit Arora, will be presented with his award at UNE’s Spring Graduation ceremony on Friday 21 October.
Dr Arora’s research is focused on orthopaedic and sports medicine and he has a special interest in shoulder and knee arthroscopy. He has multiple research publications and presentations to his credit and is also an authority in the field of burnout among health professionals. Dr Arora is an Orthopaedic Registrar and Conjoint Associate Lecturer with both UNE and the University of NSW.
UNE first recognised the outstanding achievements of its alumni with the introduction of the Distinguished Alumni Awards in 1994. Since then, a number of other awards have been added to fully recognise significant graduate achievements at different life and work stages.
The full list of 2016 awardees.
Distinguished Alumni Awards
- Professor Kym Anderson AC – Prof. Anderson is a leading academic and researcher in agricultural economics, international trade and poverty reduction in developing countries, and the viticulture industry.
- Professor Snow Barlow, who is a leading science educator and scientist and committed advocate for climate change research.
- Professor Barbara Chambers is a tireless advocate for gender equity in developing countries.
- Dr Seweryn Ozdowski AM is the Chair of the Australian Multicultural Council and a pioneer and advocate in the field of anti-discrimination and human rights.
Young Distinguished Alumni Awards
- Dr Manit Arora is an Orthopaedic Registrar at the St George and Sutherland Clinical School, UNSW, and a leading researcher in sport medicine.
Alumni Achievement Awards
- Mr Peter Carter, who through his executive role in The International Society for Quality in Health Care, has made a difference globally in the delivery of education opportunities in the field of health care safety and quality.
- Dr Irawati Chianiago is a senior lecturer in Agriculture and has a particular interest in bringing international students to the Universitas Andalas in Indonesia, and providing strong support to them while there.
- Mr Sam Levy is a successful creative theatre director and producer in New York and London. He is currently producing the musical Come from away in New York.
- Ms Pat Yeoh is the President of the Malaysia Australia Alumni Council, an organisation that represents those who have studied in Australia, and a strong advocate for UNE and the benefits of study in Australia.