UNE to help link bicultural workers with local community

Published 30 September 2011

bicultural_support_programDo you speak a language other than English? Do you have an Indigenous background?   If you answered “yes” to one or both of these, and if you also have a good command of English and enjoy working with children, you may be interested in attending an information session at the University of New England next Wednesday about part-time work opportunities in the Australian Government’s Bicultural Support Program.

The Bicultural Support Program is run by Ethnic Child Care Family & Community Services Co-operative for Children’s Services Central (funded by the Australian Government under the Inclusion and Professional Support Program). It aims to provide additional resources to eligible children’s services to assist with the inclusion of children from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds (CALD), refugee and Indigenous children by offering time-limited support from either bicultural support workers or bicultural support consultants.

The session will be presented by Ms Meni Tsambouniaris, coordinator of the Bicultural Support Program. It has been organised in conjunction with the BSP by a team comprising Lesley Nies of UNE International, Dr Liz Ellis of Linguistics, and Marg Hogan of NSW North Inclusion Support Agency, as part of an initiative to link the resources of UNE with those of the New England community.

Ms Tsambouniaris said, “We are always looking to recruit potential bicultural support workers and bicultural support consultants  and promote the program across the state, and look forward to providing information to interested people in your region.”

Dr Ellis said, “The program is open to any eligible member of the community, but we think this could be a particularly good opportunity for our international and Indigenous students to become involved with the local community and do some meaningful part-time work while they study.”

Part of the process of applying for the above positions requires a Working with Children Check.  The Employment Screening Unit of the NSW Government Education & Training carries out this check.  This check can only be done if you have been living in Australia for at least 12 months. Ms Tsambouniaris said applicants should be aware of this if they were considering applying for these positions.

The information session will take place at UNE’s Lewis Lecture Theatre (C028) on Wednesday, October 5, at 11:30 AM. Visitor parking is available in the Northern Carpark off Clarks Rd.

For further information, contact Lesley Nies at lnies2@une.edu.au.