Duval has twelve different blocks — A Block to L Block. Four blocks have ground floors, all blocks have a mid and a top floor. Each floor has around eight people mixed by gender, at different stages of their study.
- Gym:equipped with treadmill, bike, stepper, rower, weights machine, and punching bag.
- A new communal kitchen equipped with ovens, hotplates, microwaves and a fridge freezer was opened in 2016 for cooking main meals. Residents can access this facility 7 days a week from 7am – 9pm; inside and outside dining areas are available.
- Junior Common Room: a welcoming, cosy space for that lazy Sunday afternoon in front of the fireplace, but also hosts pre-dinner drinks for many formal dinners and even converts to a heaving dance floor.
- Senior Common Room: for senior students with kitchen facilities, couches and bean bags, and pay TV. It's a quiet place for our senior students to relax.
- Music room with piano, drum kits and other musical equipment, and anyone who plays an instrument is encouraged to bring it along to college.
- Entertainment Centre: Duval's entertainment centre, 'Tanderra', has comfortable chairs, a big screen LCD TV and DVD player, as well as a pool table and football tables. There's also a large space for College meetings, yoga, band practice, aerobics and a variety of study groups.
- Our own bike shed for the storage of motorbikes and pushbikes. Residents can get a key to this secure building from the College office.
- A shared laundry in each Courtyard. Washing machines are FREE but residents need to provide your own washing powder. There are also ironing boards with irons, drying rooms, and clothes lines.
Duval College has two courtyards where you can study in the shade or kick a ball around with friends, and celebrate birthdays. Our courtyards are a favourite place for social get-togethers.
Brick Courtyard adjoins the Junior Common Room — this is where most College functions start and finish with drinks or nibbles. Barbecues and band nights are also hosted in the courtyard. Surrounded by gardens, 'Brick' is a popular spot to hang out.
Each floor within Duval has:
- Kitchenette: Every kitchenette has a fridge, sink, microwave and kettle. Many students also bring other appliances, from toasted sandwich makers to milkshake makers — check the list of what to bring to check requirements for bringing electrical appliances.
- Bathroom: Most bathrooms have two sinks, two showers and two toilets. Some bathrooms even have bath for a good soak after a long day of lectures.
- Cleaning service: Bathrooms, kitchenettes and common areas are regularly cleaned by our dedicated housekeeping staff.