What to bring
Your UNE college will feel like a home away from home with some of your personal things in your bag when you arrive. But, what to bring?
Although it does get chilly in Armidale, you won't need a heater because your room is centrally heated.
Here's our guide to things you might like to bring, and what you shouldn't. Make sure you check your College's accommodation page to see what is provided for you. Every college is a little different. Of course, we do have shops in Armidale, so don't overdo it!
- Items to make your room feel like home
- Paintings / Posters (blu-tack for posters!)
- Indoor plants
Bedding & manchester
- Doona and cover
- Pillow cases
Kitchen and dining
- Cooking utensils (even our catered colleges have kitchens)
- Crockery and cutlery for late-night snacks
- Plastic containers for storing food
- Cling wrap and foil
For self-catered colleges:
- Pots and pans
- Washing basket
- Laundry powder / liquid
- Coat hangers
- Clothes horse
- Warm clothes! (Armidale is in the highlands, it can get quite chilly at any time of year)
- Formal outfits (suits or dresses for college formal dinners)
- Costumes (check your college pages for an idea of what kind of theme events they have) you will get plenty of time to get some in Armidale!
- Exercise gear
- Bath robe for the dash to and from the bathroom in winter
- UggBoots (Nice in Winter months!)
- Soap, shampoo etc.
- Toothbrush, toothpaste
- Shaving materials
- Toilet paper (Wright College & Village only)
- Musical instruments: guitar, keyboard, trumpet - you'll have plenty of chances to play
- Sporting equipment: Tennis racket, frisbee, football, cricket bat
- Towels, swimmers, goggles
- Cards and board games
- Picnic rug
- Hiking gear - Armidale is surrounded by national parks
- Bicycle, scooter - there are bike paths and Mountain bike tracks around UNE and Armidale.
Please note: All electrical equipment must be safety tagged by an electrician or electrical store before you arrive.
- Power board
- Extension cord
- Ethernet cable (category 5)
- TV, mini fridge, radio, stereo, dvd player, or fairy lights
- Fan (optional: college rooms not air conditioned)
Self-catered colleges only:
- Kitchen appliances: kettle, toaster, rice cooker, portable oven
- Untagged electrical items, electric blankets or double adaptors
- Heaters — the colleges are centrally heated
- An ironing board, iron, microwave, toaster or kettle. These are provided in the common rooms on each floor, except in Wright College & Village
- For fire safety reasons the following items are not permitted in College (except Wright College & Village): electric rice cookers, woks, mini ovens and cooktops, etc
- Pets - nothing bigger than a goldfish is permitted
- Anything illegal or dangerous - illicit drugs, weapons, flammables. Disciplinary action* will be taken for any banned items.
*The Agreement Terms, incorporating the Residential Code of Conduct, provide more information about banned items and disciplinary action.