Frequently Asked Questions

Am I covered by UNE’s insurance while staging an event?

Staff members will be covered in most situations, through the University's Workers Compensation policy.

Students shall be covered in most situations, through the University's Personal Accident policy.

There will be times when, for example, the use of contractors and/or specialist materials and equipment, may require specific agreements to be in place. Full details of the cover are available upon request from the University's Insurance office via

What is the difference between ‘Acknowledgement to Country’ and ‘Welcome to Country’?

Anyone can do an acknowledgement to country and we recommend you use the sentence below:

We/I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land on which we gather and pay my respects to elders past and present.

Some other words can be used in conjunction with the above sentence. The Oorala Aboriginal Centre recommend:

The University of New England respects and acknowledges that its people, programs and facilities are built on land, and surrounded by a sense of belonging, both ancient and contemporary, of the world's oldest living culture. In doing so, UNE values and respects Indigenous knowledge systems as a vital part of the knowledge capital of Australia.

A 'Welcome to Country' is where Traditional Aboriginal Custodians (mostly local Elders) welcome people to their land. This is a formal process and should always occur during the opening ceremony of the event.

Can I make special parking arrangements for my event?

Special event parking, VIP parking arrangements and event signage can be made upon request. Contact Parking Administration by contacting or 02 6773 3161 at least ten (10) working days prior to the event.