Inverse problems in deterministic coherent diffractive imaging
Project title: Inverse problems in deterministic coherent diffractive imaging
Principal investigator:A/Prof. Konstantin Pavlov (UNE)
Other participants: Adj. Prof David Paganin (Monash University), Prof Vasily Punegov (Russian Academy of Sciences), Dr Sergey Kolosov (Russian Academy of Sciences), Dr Kaye Morgan (Monash University), A/Prof Gerd Schmalz (UNE), A/Prof Nikolai Faleev (Arizona State University), Dr David Vine (ALS), Dr Lutz Kirste (IAF-FhG)
This project includes development of novel imaging and diffraction approaches to extend the current capabilities of the characterisation techniques of condensed matter physics, e.g., development of deterministic approaches to Bragg/Laue coherent diffraction that are rapid, exact and give a unique analytical solution to the inverse problem with nano-resolution. In particular, this project deals with inverse problems in statistical dynamical X-ray diffraction theory to provide detailed knowledge of properties directly impacting on micro- and opto-electronic device functionality, such as structure, internal strain, growth modes and ordering. This technique helps elucidate the structure of self-assembled quantum dots (QDs) and wide band-gap semiconductors based on alloys of AlN, GaN and InN. This research is motivated by both the exciting fundamental physics to be uncovered in studying the link from structure to functionality, and by the sustained technological pressure to further develop micro- and opto-electronic materials.
- K. M. Pavlov, V. I. Punegov, K. S. Morgan, G. Schmalz, D. M. Paganin. Deterministic Bragg Coherent Diffraction Imaging. Scientific Reports (accepted 24 March 2017) (IF=5.228)
- V.I. Punegov, S.I. Kolosov and K.M. Pavlov. Bragg-Laue X-ray dynamical diffraction on perfect and deformed lateral crystalline structures. J. Appl. Cryst. 49, 1190-1202 (2016). (IF=2.57)
- V.I. Punegov, S.I. Kolosov, K.M. Pavlov. Darwin's approach to X-ray diffraction on lateral crystalline structures. Acta Cryst. A, 70(1), 64-71 (2014). (IF=2.325)
- S.G. Podorov, K.M. Pavlov and D.M. Paganin. A non-iterative reconstruction method for direct and unambiguous coherent diffractive imaging. Optics Express 15(16), 9954-9962 (2007). (IF=3.488)
- K.M. Pavlov, D.M. Paganin, D.J. Vine, and L. Kirste. Wide angle X-ray dynamical diffraction by deformed crystals: recurrence relations. Phys. Status Solidi A, 204(8), 2613-2619 (2007). (IF=1.616)
- V. I. Punegov, A. I. Maksimov, S. I. Kolosov, and K. M. Pavlov. Calculating X-Ray diffraction from multilayer lateral crystal structures with arbitrary shapes and composition profiles. Technical Physics Letters 33(2), 125-127 (2007).
- S.G. Podorov, N.N. Faleev, K.M. Pavlov, D.M. Paganin, S.A. Stepanov and E. Förster. A New Approach to Wide-Angle Dynamical X-ray Diffraction by Deformed Crystals. J. Appl. Cryst 39, 652-655 (2006). (IF=3.984)
- V.I.Punegov, S.I. Kolosov, K.M. Pavlov. X-ray diffraction theory on a lateral crystal with elastically bent atomic planes. Technical Physics Letters 32(18), 65-72 (2006)
- V.I. Punegov, D.V. Kazakov, K.M. Pavlov, S. Mudie, Y. Takeda, M. Tabuchi. Synchrotron x-ray scattering from InGaN nanostructures: Experiment and numerical modeling. Poverkhnost (Surface Investigation: X-Ray, Synchrotron and Neutron Techniques) No8, 25-31 (2005).
- L. Kirste, K.M. Pavlov, S.T. Mudie, V.I. Punegov and N. Herres. Analysis of the mosaic structure of an ordered (Al,Ga)N layer. J. Appl. Cryst. 38, 183-192 (2005) (IF=3.984)
- S.T. Mudie, K.M. Pavlov, M.J. Morgan, J.R. Hester, Y. Takeda, M. Tabuchi, Collection of reciprocal space maps using imaging plates at the Australian National Beamline Facility at the Photon Factory. J. Synchrotron Radiation 11, 406-413 (2004). (IF=2.794)
- K.M. Pavlov, V.I. Punegov, L. Kirste, N. Herres, Y. Takeda, M. Tabuchi, M.J. Morgan, S.T. Mudie, J. Hester, Applications of statistical X-ray diffraction theory for study of multilayer systems. Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Physics) 68 (4), 650-654 (2004).
- Mudie, S.T., Pavlov, K.M., Morgan, M.J., Tabuchi, M., Takeda, Y. and Hester, J. High-resolution X-ray diffractometry investigation of interface layers in GaN/AlN structures grown on sapphire substrates. Surf. Rev. Lett. 10, No.2&3, 513-517 (2003).
- Pavlov, K.M., Petrakov, A.P., Punegov, V.I. and Jakovidis, G. Sulphur passivated GaAs investigation using high resolution X-ray diffractometry. Surf. Rev. Lett 10, No.2&3, 533-536 (2003).
- Pavlov, K.M. and Punegov, V.I. Statistical dynamical theory of X-ray diffraction in the Bragg case: application to triple-crystal diffractometry. Acta Cryst., A56 , 227-234 (2000). (IF=2.325)
- Faleev, N.N., Egorov, A.Yu., Zhukov, A.E., Kovsh, A.R., Mikhrin, S.S., Ustinov, V.M., Pavlov, K.M., Punegov, V.I., Tabuchi, M. and Takeda, Y. X-ray diffraction analysis of multilayer InAs-GaAs heterostructures with InAs quantum dots. Semicond. 33, 1229-1237 (1999).
- Pavlov, K., Faleev, N., Tabuchi, M. and Takeda, Y. Specific aspects of X-ray diffraction on statistically distributed QDs in a perfect crystal matrix. Jp. J. Appl. Phys. 38, 269-272 (1999). (IF=1.127)
- Faleev, N., Pavlov, K., Tabuchi, M. and Takeda, Y. CTR and DCXRD studies of lateral ordering of quantum dots in multilayer periodic structures. Jp. J. Appl. Phys. 38, 277-280 (1999). (IF=1.127)
- Nesterets, Ya.I, Punegov, V.I., Pavlov, K.M. and Faleev, N.N. High resolution X-ray diffractometry of the structural characteristics of a semiconducting (InGa)As/GaAs superlattice. Techn. Phys. 44, 171-179 (1999).
- Faleev, N., Pavlov, K., Tabuchi, M. and Takeda, Y. Influence of long-range lateral ordering in structures with quantum dots on the spatial distribution of diffracted X-ray radiation. Jp. J. Appl. Phys. 38, 818-821 (1999). (IF=1.127)
- Pavlov, K.M., Punegov, V.I. The equations of the statistical dynamical theory of X-ray diffraction for deformed crystals. Acta Crystallographica A 54, 214-218 (1998). (IF=2.325)
- Pavlov, K.M., Punegov, V.I. Comment on 'Characterization of InxGa1-xAs/InP epilayers by X-ray double crystal rocking curve peak profile analysis by Haiyan An, Ming Li, Shuren Yang, Zhenhong Mai, Shiyong Liu' [J. Crystal Growth 148 (1995) 31], J. Cryst. Growth 179, 328-329 (1997). (IF=1.698)
- Pavlov, K.M., Punegov, V.I. Der Einflu? kugelsymmetrischer Kristalldefekte auf die Winkelverteilung gebeugter Röntgenstrahlung. Phys. Status Solidi (b) 199, 5-15 (1997). (IF=1.469)
- Herres, N., Fuchs, F., Schmitz, J., Pavlov, K.M., Wagner, J., Ralston, J.D., Koidl, P., Gadaleta, C. and Scamarcio, G. Effect of interfacial bonding on the structural and vibrational properties of InAs/GaSb superlattices. Phys. Rev. B 53, 15688 - 15705 (1996). (IF=3.736)
- Pavlov, K.M. and Punegov, V. I. Models of spherically symmetric microdefects in the statistical dynamical theory of diffraction: II. Correlation length. Crystallogr. Rep. 41, 585-591 (1996).
- Punegov, V.I. and Pavlov, K.M. Models of spherically symmetric microdefects in the statistical dynamical theory of diffraction: I. Correlation function. Crystallogr. Rep. 41, 575-584 (1996).
- Punegov, V. I., Pavlov, K. M., Podorov, S. G., Faleev, N. N. Determination of structural parameters of a gradient epitaxial layer by high-resolution X-ray diffractometry. II. Solution of the inverse problem in terms of a kinematic and statistical dynamic theory of a diffraction. Physics of the Solid State 38, 148-152 (1996).
- Pavlov, K.M., Punegov, V.I., Faleev, N.N. X-ray diffraction diagnostics of laser structures. Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics (JETP) 80, 1090-1097 (1995).
- Punegov, V.I., Pavlov, K.M. Influence of elastic bending and defects of the crystal structure on the X-ray-acoustic resonance. Tech. Phys. 39, 1190-1192 (1994).
- Pavlov, K. M., Punegov, V. I. Dynamic Laue diffraction by an harmonic superlattice with randomly distributed amorphous clusters. Phys. Solid State 36, 518-525 (1994).
- Punegov V.I., Pavlov K.M. Kinematic theory of X-ray diffraction from a harmonic superlattice with microdefects. Crystallogr. Rep. 38(5), 602-606 (1993).
- Punegov, V. I., Pavlov, K. M. Effect of structural defects on the angular distribution of X-ray Laue-diffraction in a thin crystal. Sov. Tech. Phys. Lett. 18, 390-391 (1992).