Professor David Lamb - Curriculum Vitae
- PhD (Physics), University of New England, 1993
- BSc (Hons), University of New England, 1987
- BSc (Physics), University of New England, 1986
- Member, Australian Society of Information and Communication Technologies in Agriculture (No. 20141049)
- Member, Australian Institute of Physics (MAIP) Member, Institute of Physics (UK) (MInstPhys)
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), No. 85020557 (SMIEEE) (incl. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society, IEEE Photonics Society, and IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Society)
- Member, Australian Society of Viticulture & Oenology (ASVO) Member, International Society of Horticultural Science (ISHS) Member, Surveying and Spatial Sciences Institute (SSSI)
- (Foundation Member of pre-cursor Spatial Sciences Institute SSI) Member, Southern Precision Agriculture Association (SPAA) Member, Australian Society of Animal Production (ASAP)
- Member, Australian Society of Agronomy (ASA)
- Member, New England Vigneron’s Association (SNEVA)-Scientific Panel Member, Earle Page College Senior Common Room, elected 26th October 2009 Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplanes), No. 545676, 1997-present
- UAV Controllers Certificate, No. 545676 (multi rotor <7 kg), 2015-present NSW Waterways Boat Driver’s Licence, No. 01071478
- National Work-Cover Certificates of Competency (‘ticket’) Front-end Loader
- Loader Backhoe Forklift
- AQF3 (Certificate 3) Chemical Application 2011-2016 (NSW DPI SMART train) Chainsaw Operations (Level 1) (Statement of Attainment, NSW TAFE)
- ‘Select the Best’ (UNE), 2008
- First Aid Certificate, Work and Train Australia (current) Science in Media Training Course, Sydney, November 2013
- Animal Ethics Online Course (UNE, ID no. 1454), December 2014
- The UNE SMART Farm was awarded ’2014 Innovation of the Year’, Regional Development Australia-Northern Inland NSW Innovation Awards in Moree, November 2014.
- UNE-PARG awarded Winner of the ‘Research and Education’ category at the Regional Development Australia-Northern Inland NSW Innovation Awards in Moree, November 2014.
- Invited presenter- Cotton Futures Forum, Brisbane, 9-10th December 2013.
- Invitation to participate in “National Economic Review 2013: Global Access Partners Annual Growth Summit”, 19-20 September 2013, NSW Parliament House, Sydney.
- Guest and keynote presenter, Norm Corkill Luncheon, Speakers Dining Room, NSW Parliament House, 28th November 2012.
- Nominee for the international, Pierre C. Robert Precision Agriculture Award for individuals who have made significant contributions to precision science and technology (2010).
- Invitation to present research achievements of the Precision Agriculture Research Group to a joint Australia Academy of Sciences/China Academy of Sciences forum (2008) , Canberra November 4-5, 2008.
- Elevation to the grade of Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc (2007). Fewer than 8% of over 374,000 members achieve this level in the world's largest technical professional society.
- UNE Vice Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Research (2007)
- Finalist (2006), The Daniel McAlpine Outstanding Achievement Award, Victoria DPI. Contribution to research conducted in collaboration with Vic-DPI Phylloxera Team. Presented, 1 March, 2006, Parliament House, Melbourne Victoria.
- "This Award is given to a DPI staff member or team, or an individual or team working in collaboration with DPI. It is awarded for outstanding achievement
in science (research, extension, policy or regulation). Work must have been completed within the last three years, and must have contributed significantly to the sustainable development of Victoria's primary industries."
- Inclusion in the Carrick Institute website on 'Snapshots of good learning and teaching in physics', 2006.
Service on External Committees, Reference, or Working Groups
- Technical Northern Inland Weeds Advisory Committee, Integrated Aerial Surveillance Innovative Project, Project Management Team, 2013-14.
- Interviewee, “Inquiry into the opportunities to use telecommuting and E-business in rural and Regional Victoria”, Parliament of Victoria, Rural and Regional Committee, Kirby Smart Farm, 8 October 2013.
- Participant “National Economic Review 2013: Global Access Partners Annual Growth Summit”, 19-20 September 2013, NSW Parliament House, Sydney.
- Foundation Convenor, Digital Rural Futures Conference, University of New England, Armidale NSW, 26-28th June 2013.
- Member, Prime Minister’s Forum on the Digital Economy, Sydney, 5th October 2012.
- Member, International Technical Committee, 34th International Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment Sydney, April, 2011.
- Foundation Co-chair, 1st Australian and New Zealand Symposium on Spatially Enabled Livestock Management, 15 July, 2010.
- Theme Organiser/Chair, “Precision Livestock Management”, 10th International Conference on Precision Agriculture Denver USA, 18-21 July, 2010.
- Member, Programme Committee, 10th International Conference on Precision Agriculture Denver USA, July, 2010.
- GRDC “Precision Agriculture” Think-tank, 9th February Canberra
- Conference Convenor, 13th Symposium on Precision Agriculture in Australasia, University of New England, Armidale, NSW Australia 10-11 September 2009.
- Member, International Scientific Committee, 8th International Symposium on Information and Technology for the Sustainable Production of Fruit, Vegetables, Nuts, Winegrapes and Olives (Fruitic 2009), Concepción, Chile, January, 2009.
- Member, International Scientific Committee, Global Workshop on High Resolution Digital Soil Sensing and Mapping, Sydney Australia,, February 2008.
- Member, International Organising Committee, Frutic 2005, Montpellier France, September 2005.
- Expert Member (Remote Sensing), Project Steering Committee, Phylloxera & Grape Industry Board of South Australia, February 2001- 2005.
- Project Reviewer, Sugar Research and Development Corporation, 2011 - present.
- Project Reviewer, Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program for the U.S. Department of Agriculture, 2000 - present.
- Project Reviewer, Israel Science Foundation, 2003 - present.
- Project Reviewer, Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council, Canada, 2004 - present.
- Project Reviewer, Qatar National Research Fund, 2008 - present.
- Member, New England & Northwest Food and Wine Industry Development Project, Reference Group, 2004-2005.
- Project Leader, “Biomass Business”, CRC Spatial Information, 2010 – 2014 ($1.8M)
- Bid Team - CRC Spatial Information II (2009-2017)- ($36.6 Million)
- Project Leader, “Clever Cattle & Cropping Systems”, CRC Spatial Information, 2007 - 2010
- Bid Team (Supplementary Funding Bid), CRC Spatial Information (2006-2007)- Successful ($2.7M)
- Principal Researcher, "Precision Viticulture", CRC Viticulture & multi-organisation project 1999-2006.
- Researcher, CRC Sheep 2005-2007
- Project Leader, CRC-Irrigation Futures 2004-2008
- Bid Leader, CRC Precision Agriculture Technologies (2004-2005)- Unsuccessful
- Supervisor of 34 PhD, Masters & Honours research students in applied physics/remote sensing projects
- Examiner of 18 PhD & Masters theses
- Received almost AU$8.4 million of research funding
- Contributed to successful applications exceeding AU $2.5 million of Commonwealth or ARC LIEF funding
- Authored 86 refereed scientific journal and conference papers
- Authored 1 book, 4 book chapters, and 3 conference proceedings
- Authored 164 conference papers and 22 articles for industry publications
- Presented 34 International and National (invited) keynotes
- Referee of papers for international scientific journals including International Journal of Remote Sensing, Remote Sensing of Environment, Weed Research, Weed Technology, Australian Journal of Grape & Wine Research, Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture, Journal of Agricultural Water Management, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, Acta Horticulturae, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture.
- Currently Member, CRC Spatial Information
- Previously scientific member of CRCs for Weed Management Systems, Sustainable Rice Production, Viticulture, Irrigation Futures, and Sheep
- Member, Teacher Education Course Reference Group (TECRG), School of Education 2012 - present Chair, Research Committee, School of Science and Technology (2011-2015)
- University IP Committee (2005- 2010)
- Rural Properties Management Group (2007 – 2010)
Teaching Committees, Course Administration
- Course Developer- Grad Cert Precision Agriculture, Bachelor Engineering Technology (Telecommunications and Networks) (present)
- Discipline Review Panel- Computer Science (UNE, 2012) Award Coordinator, B.Eng.Tech (UNE, 2002-5)
- Award Coordinator, B.Sc. (CSU, 1999-2002)
Other University Service
Mentor, Duval and Drummond & Smith Colleges 2012 Professional Development Program (2012) Mentor, UNE Mentor Program for local secondary school students (2008 – present)