To assist you with funding your overseas study experience, you may be eligible to apply for OS-HELP (a government loan) for exchange, study abroad or short term study programs, as long as you meet the criteria set by the government.

In 2017, the maximum OS-HELP loan is $7,880 if you are studying in Asia.  You can have a maximum of two loans over two teaching periods/semesters if you meet the relevant criteria.  You pay these back in the same way you undertake repayment of your HECS-HELP debt.  You do not have to pay anything up front and only start repaying once you meet the minimum income requirements, just like your HECS-HELP debt.  You must have completed at least 48 credit points (8 units) of your course and have at least 6 credit points or one unit left upon your return, to meet the OS-HELP requirements.

If you are undertaking studies in Asia, you may also be eligible to apply for another $1,050 supplement loan in addition to the above if you undertake introductory studies in a relevant Asian language, such as Thai.  

More information on OS-HELP loans can be found here .

The 2016 OS-HELP "Thinking About Studying Overseas?" brochure is available here and the 2017 brochure should be available soon.

You can access the UNE OS-HELP Loan Application and Information page online.

UNE’s Partner institutions can be found here.