English, Literacies and Languages Education (including TESOL & EAL/D)
Teach English Language, Literacies and Literature
As a student teacher of English, you will be offered traditional and contemporary perspectives on the teaching of English language, literacies and literature. By studying with us, you will learn how to teach using a range of media including text, images, graphics and multimedia.
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) / English as an Additional Language (EAL/D)
When you study at UNE to become a teacher of English as a second or additional language, you will acquire an understanding of the way language and culture interacts while considering the various roles and tensions that English now faces in the world as a global language.
Students studying TESOL / EAL/D will be required to complete a professional experience placement to a satisfactory standard of proficiency.
Units of study
For a detailed description of EDEE units, refer to the Course and Unit Catalogue.
For a detailed description of EDLA units, refer to the Course and Unit Catalogue.
For a detailed description of EDLI units, refer to the Course and Unit Catalogue.
At least one English education unit is core across all pre-service teaching courses.
Courses of study
English Education units of study are integrated into the following courses:
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood and Primary)
- Bachelor of Education (K-12 Teaching)
- Bachelor of Education (Primary)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary Arts)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary Business)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary Music)
- Bachelor of Special Education (Primary) / Bachelor of Disability Studies
Postgraduate study in English Literacies and Languages Education provides you the opportunity to upgrade your teaching skills and professional qualifications in regard to knowledge about language (text and grammar), literacy, literature, and multimodal communication. Course afford opportunities to participate in local, national and international research networks to enhance reflective and enquiry-oriented classroom practice in languages, literacies and literature education.
- Graduate Certificate in Education Studies (Literature and New Literacies)
- Graduate Certificate in Education Studies (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- Master of Education (Literature and New Literacies)
- Master of Education (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- Master of Teaching (Primary)
- Master of Teaching (Secondary)