Welcome to Japanese at UNE! We cater for a range of proficiency levels from complete beginners to native speakers. You can find the undergraduate and postgraduate programs in which you can study Japanese here at UNE below. We've also listed our units. Off-campus students study the same material as on-campus ones, submit the same assignments and sit the same exams.

You can also choose to spend a trimester or two overseas in Japan. In-country study is compulsory in the Bachelor of Languages, the Bachelor of Languages and International Business, and the Bachelor of International and Language Studies. You can find out more below.

Why study Japanese at UNE?

With approximately 75% of UNE students of Japanese studying off-campus, our teaching staff has a wealth of experience in distance and online delivery. We also offer:

  • Small class sizes, personal attention
  • Step by step, structured units
  • Challenging and fun learning activities!
  • From beginners to advanced
  • All units available by distance education
  • Great opportunities and encouragement to study in Japan for credit towards your UNE degree (with some scholarships available).
In-country language study

You can study in Japan as part of your degree. UNE has exchange agreements with universities in Japan for in-country study which can be credited to UNE degrees.

If you enrol in the Japanese major in the Bachelor of Arts, the Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Business, the Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws, the Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science, the Bachelor of Education (Secondary Studies), or the Bachelor of International Studies, you can choose to spend one or two trimesters studying a language in-country.

If you enrol in the Bachelor of Languages, the Bachelor of Languages and International Business, or the Bachelor of International and Language Studies, it is compulsory to undertake in-country study.

The universities with which UNE has agreements or bilateral exchange agreements are:

Find out more about overseas language study

Undergraduate courses

Japanese can be studied as a major in the following courses:

Bachelor degrees

You can also study Japanese as an elective in almost any Bachelor's course offered at UNE; check the course rules to see how many electives you are permitted to include.

For Bachelor Honours see under postgraduate courses.

Undergraduate Diplomas

in which you can study Japanese

Postgraduate courses

Japanese can also be studied at postgraduate level in coursework or research programs.

Bachelor Honours

Find out more about Honours

Postgraduate research

Find out more about Higher Degree Research


Career directions for graduates with Japanese proficiency are constantly expanding …

  • Teaching: primary, secondary, tertiary
  • Business
  • Marketing
  • Tourism
  • Hospitality
  • Translation and interpreting
  • Customs
  • Immigration
  • Foreign Affairs
  • Defence
  • Intelligence
  • Foreign aid
  • NGOs
  • Trade
  • Banking
  • Research
  • Community services
Partnerships and networks

UNE has formal exchange programs with the following universities in Japan:

Further information

For more information about studying Japanese at UNE, please contact:

MsTherese Burton
Convenor of Japanese

Lecturer (Japanese)
School of Arts
University of New England

Telephone (02) 6773 3515. International: +61 2 6773 3515      
email: tburton@une.edu.au