Creative Practice Higher Degrees

UNE encourages Higher Degree Research (HDR) in creative practice for the Master of Philosophy (Arts) and the Doctor of Philosophy.

Creative practice projects must include two interrelated components: a creative work and a written exegesis.

The types of creative work that may be considered include, but not limited to:

English, Media and Communications, WritingTheatreMusic
FictionTheatre Performance (which might include acting, directing, devised work, physical theatre, documentary theatre, multi/intermedial performance, puppetry)Music performance
Non-fiction (e.g. life writing)Playwriting and/or adaptationExhibition
Creative non-fictionDesign and/or scenographyNotated or graphic score
AdaptationDrama pedagogyVideo recording
  Audio recording
  Other new media technologies and modes of presentation

Admission to candidature depends on the availability of supervision and resources.

Supervision is potentially available from staff in the disciplinary areas of English, Media and Communications, and Writing; Music; and Theatre and Performance. Co-supervision may be drawn from other Schools.

UNE does not provide film, video, and music production facilities so creative work in these areas would need access to independent resources.

It is assumed that candidates entering these HDR courses will already have the knowledge and techniques needed to embark on advanced research and relate creative practice to scholarship in their chosen field.

Supervision assists candidates to apply their skills to complete a project that extends and disseminates new knowledge.

The Higher Degree Research programs in Creative Practice are administered by Arts:

Further information

For further information about these Higher Degree Research programs specifically in Creative Practice, see:

Master of Philosophy (Arts) in Creative Practice

Doctor of Philosophy in Creative Practice

For further information about the admission criteria and course requirements and rules for Higher Degrees in Creative Practice for the Master of Philosophy (Arts) and the Doctor of Philosophy in general:

How to apply

Applications for admission must be made directly to Research Services at UNE using the Research Services Candidature Application Form.

NB.  For Creative Practice degrees, please refer to the following document when preparing your research proposal.

Research Proposal for Creative Practice Higher Degrees Applications

General inquiries may be directed to the Arts Higher Degree Research Coordinator: