Promotion of scholarships to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
UNE promotion of scholarship opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students in 2014 included:
- UNE Undergraduate and Commonwealth Equity Scholarships are advertised on UNE’s Scholarships homepage
- All scholarships administered by Research Services are advertised on their website
- Promotion through Oorala as noted under Oorala’s role in ‘Outreach Activities’.
Scholarship take-up rates
2014 take-up rates were as follows for scholarships offered for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students:
- The take-up rate for Indigenous-specific UNE undergraduate scholarships improved in 2014 compared to 2013, however the take-up rate for other UNE undergraduate scholarships was low compared to previous years.
- The overall take-up for Commonwealth Equity Scholarships in 2014 was 44%, and this had declined compared to the 63% take-up rate in 2013.
- 100% take-up rate for postgraduate scholarships offered for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.
The following factors may have affected 2014 take-up rates for Commonwealth Equity Scholarships and are being reviewed by UNE in 2015:
- Requirements of supporting documentation to be submitted by applicants.
- Since the introduction of trimesters at UNE in 2012, for CES applicants who do not demonstrate exceptional circumstances for part-time study, UNE has required students to be enrolled full-time in Trimesters 1 and 2 (3-4 units each trimester).
As take-up rates for Commonwealth Equity Scholarships (CES) were considerably lower in 2014 than in previous years, strategies to address these factors and increased promotion and support for applicants have resulted in greatly improved take-up rates in 2015.