- Read the advertisement carefully
- Take the time to carefully identify the employers requirements. It may help to underline or highlight key words and requirements.
- Write down the role requirements
- Brainstorm or mind-map your skills, experience and qualities which might match the requirements. Make a note of any particular experiences or roles which might evidence your ability to undertake the role
- Research the organisation - seek information about the size of the organisation, location/s, history and functions. You might seek information directly from the organisation e.g a website or you might find media and news reports. Is the company on social media such as LinkedIN, Facebook or Instagram? This may also provide some insight into the culture and 'feel' of the organisation. This will give you an idea of whether the role might be suitable for you.