You are required to complete an audition as part of the entry requirements to the following courses:
- Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary Music)
- Diploma in Music Skills and the
- Bachelor of Education (In-Service Conversion): Schedule C (Music)
IMPORTANT: Applications for these courses have early closing dates. You are strongly advised to apply well before the closing date to ensure you allow yourself time to complete the audition requirements. Remember, you must also complete the application to audition form.
Applications are open for:
- Trimester 1, 2018 admission: Applications are now closed.
- Trimester 2, 2018 admission: Applications close midday Thursday 14 June 2018 (final date for submission of audition materials is Friday 29 June 2018).
- Trimester 3, 2018 admission (Bachelor of Music and the Diploma in Music Skills only). Dates to be advised.
Please email email@example.com with any queries.
Applying for admission and to audition
You must apply online for admission to one our Music degrees. As part of the online application process, you will be prompted to fill out an application to audition form. Following the submission of your audition form, you will be contacted via email with further information about the audition, including how to access our online music auditions site.
Important: Our Music courses have early admission closing dates to allow for the processing of your audition. You are advised to apply for admission to your preferred course as early as possible to ensure that you allow time for the processing of your application and for you to prepare and submit your audition materials prior to the due date.
There are three components to the audition (see further information below):
- Practical Performance Video
- Theory Examination
- Personal Statement (you will be required to upload your personal statement during the online application process).
Applicants must pass all three components.
A waiver of the practical performance component and/or the theory component may be granted under certain circumstances. If you have been awarded any of the following qualifications (or their equivalent) within the last 8 years please include copies of your certificates with your application to audition form so that we can assess your eligibility for an audition waiver.
- AMEB Grade 6 in your instrument/voice
- AMEB Grade 4 in musicianship/theory
- Associate Diploma in Music (AMusA)
- Licentiate Diploma in Music (LMusA)
Please email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries about whether you qualify to apply for an audition waiver.
Applicants are required to perform two contrasting pieces totalling up to 15 minutes, i.e. different genres, or styles or tempo or articulation. This could also consist of two distinctly contrasting pieces within the same genre. One of the aims of undertaking the performance audition is to demonstrate the varied aspects of your musical abilities. Pieces chosen should be at least Grade 6 AMEB (or equivalent) level or higher.
Please note that backing tracks are acceptable accompaniment.
The theory examination tests general knowledge and analytical ability including rudimentary knowledge such as notation skills, key signatures and harmonic analysis. It is expected that applicants will have an understanding of Grade 4 AMEB Theory or above in order to successfully complete the exam.
This is a brief composition (total 750 words) consisting of three well-constructed and coherent paragraphs, addressing the following points:
- Summarise your prior musical study and experience (250 words)
- Briefly describe your knowledge and interest in specific musical repertoires (250 words)
- Outline how tertiary study will assist you in your musical, professional or scholarly goals for the future (250 words)
Quality of written expression and presentation is assessed.