Research and Grants
As a core activity, Academic Development staff undertake a diverse range of teaching and learning research directed toward advancing knowledge and evidence-based practice to support scholarly and innovative teaching and learning. Research projects can be both initiated by TLC staff or collaborative ventures with colleagues in the disciplines. For further information, or to discuss a potential collaborative research project, contact the Academic Coordinator, Melanie Fleming.
Teaching Development Grants
TLC administers and provides project management for this UNE scheme, which funds small-scale research and development projects aimed at fostering innovation in teaching and learning. A call for applications is made in March.
Office for Learning and Teaching Grants and Awards Programs
On 16 November 2011, Senator the Hon Chris Evans announced the establishment of the Office for Learning and Teaching (OLT). The OLT has funding of $50 million over four years through the Promotion of Excellence in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education Program. The OLT promotes and supports change in higher education institutions for the enhancement of learning and teaching.
Its responsibilities include:
- providing grants to academics and professional staff to explore, develop and implement innovations in learning and teaching and to develop leadership capabilities
- commissioning work on issues of strategic significance to the higher education sector to inform policy development and practice in relation to learning and teaching
- managing a suite of awards to celebrate, recognise and value teaching excellence and programs that enhance student learning
- funding fellowships and secondments for leading educators to address significant national educational issues
- disseminating resources on innovations in learning and teaching
- supporting the development of effective mechanisms for the embedding of good practice in learning and teaching in Australian higher education;
- encouraging collaboration and sharing of good practice for improved student learning outcomes and
- facilitating networking and professional development opportunities for academics and professional staff.
Further information about UNE support, application processes and timelines is available here.
All enquiries should be directed in the first instance to Alicia Zikan, OLT Institutional Contact officer, Teaching and Learning Centre.
Tel: (02) 6773 5190