Welcome to Japanese at UNE! We cater for a range of proficiency levels from complete beginners to native speakers. You can find the undergraduate and postgraduate programs in which you can study Japanese here at UNE below. We've also listed our units. Off-campus students study the same material as on-campus ones, submit the same assignments and sit the same exams.
You can also choose to spend a trimester or two overseas in Japan. In-country study is compulsory in the Bachelor of Languages, the Bachelor of Languages and International Business, and the Bachelor of International and Language Studies. You can find out more below.
Why study Japanese at UNE?
With approximately 75% of UNE students of Japanese studying off-campus, our teaching staff has a wealth of experience in distance and online delivery. We also offer:
- Small class sizes, personal attention
- Step by step, structured units
- Challenging and fun learning activities!
- From beginners to advanced
- All units available by distance education
- Great opportunities and encouragement to study in Japan for credit towards your UNE degree (with some scholarships available).
In-country language study
You can study in Japan as part of your degree. UNE has exchange agreements with universities in Japan for in-country study which can be credited to UNE degrees.
If you enrol in the Japanese major in the Bachelor of Arts, the Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Business, the Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws, the Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science, the Bachelor of Education (Secondary Studies), or the Bachelor of International Studies, you can choose to spend one or two trimesters studying a language in-country.
If you enrol in the Bachelor of Languages, the Bachelor of Languages and International Business, or the Bachelor of International and Language Studies, it is compulsory to undertake in-country study.
The universities with which UNE has agreements or bilateral exchange agreements are:
Japanese can be studied as a major in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary Arts)
- Bachelor of International Studies
- Bachelor of International and Language Studies
- Bachelor of Languages
- Bachelor of Languages and International Business
You can also study Japanese as an elective in almost any Bachelor's course offered at UNE; check the course rules to see how many electives you are permitted to include.
For Bachelor Honours see under postgraduate courses.
in which you can study Japanese
- JAPN101 Japanese Language 1A
- JAPN102 Japanese Language 1B
- JAPN201 Japanese Language 2A
- JAPN202 Japanese Language 2B
- JAPN215 Introduction to Japanese Sociolinguistics
- JAPN235 Extensive Reading in Japanese
- JAPN245 Introduction to Japanese Popular Culture
- JAPN301 Japanese Language 3A
- JAPN302 Japanese Language 3B
- JAPN311 Written Japanese 4A
- JAPN312 Written Japanese 4B
- JAPN401H Japanese Hons Coursework
- JAPN402H Japanese Hons Dissertation
- JAPN421 Japanese Language 5A
- JAPN422 Advanced Japanese Reading Unit
- CIJ 210 Cultural Expression in Modern Asia
Career directions for graduates with Japanese proficiency are constantly expanding …
- Teaching: primary, secondary, tertiary
- Translation and interpreting
- Foreign Affairs
- Foreign aid
- Community services
Partnerships and networks
For more information about studying Japanese at UNE, please contact:
Convenor of Japanese
School of Arts
University of New England
ARMIDALE NSW 2351
Telephone (02) 6773 3515. International: +61 2 6773 3515