Universities use a number of terms which may be sometimes confusing and most of the questions asked about applying to uni have to do with deciphering terminology. Below is a glossary that may help you, or you can use the AskUNE system for more FAQs.

Advanced standing: Collective term including credit transfer and credit for prior learning. It means credit granted towards a course at the University for relevant learning experience at the University or elsewhere.

Assumed knowledge: This is an expectation of a specified HSC course or equivalent, prior to beginning your course.

Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR): A measure of academic achievement in the HSC that assists institutions in NSW and the ACT to rank applicants for selection to tertiary educations courses. The ATAR is a rank, not a mark.

Award: Formal academic qualification acquired after successful completion of a course. This is a collective term for all the kinds of qualifications you can receive – degrees, diplomas etc.

Bachelor degree: The qualification awarded to students after the successful completion of an undergraduate course, for example Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science.

Campus: The physical location of the university.

Certified copy: Photocopy of an original document that has been signed by a Justice of the Peace, Commissioner for Declarations, the issuing authority or other approved person stating that the photocopy is a true copy of the original.

Combined/double degree: For a combined degree a student takes an equal weight of units from two chosen courses resulting in a single award on completion. For double degrees students take the full workload of units for each degree and receive a separate award for each degree.

Commonwealth Supported Place: Places in courses which attract a student contribution fee which can be loaned to you by the Government under HELP (previously known as HECS). The student contribution is variable depending on the course chosen. See for more information.

Corequisite: One or more units specified by the degree rules that a student must complete prior to, or simultaneously with, a particular unit before the student's enrolment in that unit will be regarded as effective. Corequisites are specified in the Course and Unit Guide.

Credit Points (cps): A tool the university uses to calculate how much study you have done. You need 144 credit points for a standard bachelor degree. Most units are 6 credit points, but some are more or less depending on the work load and difficulty of the unit. A six credit point unit is equivalent to 150 student workload hours of lectures, practicals, assessment tasks, reading, etc.

Cut-Off: The minimum OP, Rank, or grade point average required for entry to a program in a particular year. Cutoffs are not predetermined and vary from year to year.

Defer: Delaying the start of your studies at UNE. You can defer for up to two years.

Distance education: This is an old term used to describe students studying off campus, also sometimes called external study. Now we refer to all studying that doesn't happen in a classroom on campus as online education.

Domestic student: A student that is an Australian citizen, a New Zealand citizen or the holder of a permanent visa.

Elective unit: A unit that is not prescribed as a core part of a course, but which may be undertaken and credited towards the course.

Foundation studies: A course available to enable you to achieve the required level of assumed knowledge needed for enrolment at UNE if you don't qualify for entry to university another way.

Full Fee: Full Fee paying places cover the full cost of courses, and domestic students studying in Full Fee places are eligible for a Government loan called FEE-HELP. Full fee paying fees will vary for each course, but are the same, no matter whether courses are studied on-campus or via distance education.

Most postgraduate coursework degrees at UNE have both Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) and Full Fee paying places available, though CSP places are subject to availability each year.

Honours: Additional period of advanced study (usually one year full time) following completion of all requirements of a bachelor degree in which a given number of specified units were passed at distinction standard.

Intensive schools: Sometimes called 'Residential Schools', are intense periods of study undertaken at the campus (or other agreed venue) for students studying by distance education. Usually lasting from two to five days, intensive schools may be optional or mandatory.

International student: A student who is not a citizen of Australia or New Zealand and is not a permanent resident.

Level of a unit: For accurate identification each unit at the University has a unique alpha-numeric code eg ENGL101. Introductory units in a subject area will be indicated by codes in the 100 range with more advanced units indicated in the 200 or 300 range and so on. 100 level units are often taken in the first year of study, 200 level units in the second year of study and so on, although this is not the case in all schools.

Major: Specified combination of units within a discipline or area of study.

Masters degree (by coursework): Designed for in-depth study on a topic of academic or professional interest. A Masters by coursework can include up to 66% research (ie minor thesis).

Masters degree (by research): Is self-directed research in a topic of academic or professional interest leading to a major project or thesis. A Masters by research degree has a greater than 66% research component (ie major thesis).

Mode: The way a course or unit is delivered, either full time, part time or by distance.

Module: At UNE a module is a unit of study. Some schools will use the term module instead of unit. Module can also be used to describe part of a unit within our online learning system Moodle.

MyUNE: Online study portal for UNE students. Through MyUNE, you can access everything from study notes, discussion boards and results to submitting your assignments and updating your personal details.

Offer: The allocation of available tertiary places to eligible applicants. Offers are made over several rounds.

Online Education: Courses and units available for flexible study supported by online tools. Almost all UNE units are available by online education.

Podcasts: Most UNE lectures are now podcasted – meaning the audio is available for download via the internet.

Postgraduate: Postgraduate study involves further study for a higher degree following the successful completion of an undergraduate degree. Masters and PhD degrees are postgraduate degrees.

Prerequisite: One or more units of the University, which are specified by the degree rules that must have been successfully completed before a student may enrol in a particular unit.

Professional Doctorate: is an innovative course designed to enable students from different professions and industries to work together on the coursework. The key student outcome of this award is the set of research products. The research products will have 'academic rigor' as well as 'workplace rigor'. Advisors, from UNE and from industry (the latter selected by the student), collaborate to teach the coursework and to design and advise the research. Successful completion of the coursework is a prerequisite for the research.

Residential Colleges: These refer to on-campus accommodation for students, where students are provided with their own serviced room, meals in the college dining room, live-in tutors, support and resources to facilitate learning. Self-catering and 'Flexi Choice' catering options is also available.

Restriction: Units in which you may not enrol if you have already completed another unit with equivalent content.

Semester: UNE previously operated on a semester based academic year, with two main teaching periods. We now operate on trimesters (see below).

School: A School at the UNE is a management area of a particular area of study. For example, the School of Business, Economics and Law looks after the administration of all units in those study areas.

Trimester: Formal university teaching period. The UNE academic year consists of three formal teaching periods.

Undergraduate: Studies undertaken in order to gain an advanced diploma, diploma or bachelor degree. You will be an undergraduate if you have not studied at university before.

Unit: A subject or component to be studied as part of a course, and which has its own code and name. Units mostly have a value of six credit points. Units may be core (compulsory) or elective (non-compulsory), and are mostly of one semester duration.

Universities Admission Centre (UAC): Universities Admission Centre (UAC)  is the central office that receives and processes applications for admission to most undergraduate courses in NSW and the ACT. The Queensland equivalent is the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC)