Policies and rules

National Code 2007

From 1 July 2007, new legislation regulating the provision of education to onshore international students took effect. The new National Code 2007 is part of the ESOS Act (Education Services for Overseas Students Act). This Act governs the provision of education to onshore international students in Australia.

If you are studying in Australia on a student visa, there are changes that will apply to you.

For more information, visit: ESOS Framework: Australian Government information website

From 1 July 2007, the following applies to all new and continuing onshore international students studying on a student visa.

Full-time Study

International students are required to complete their study within the expected program duration.

The expected duration is given on your eCoE (Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment). To complete your program in the expected duration, you will need to be enrolled in a 100% load each Trimester (T1 and T2).

There are now situations, however, where you can enrol in a less than full-time load:

  • as part of a documented intervention strategy under the UNE Course Progression Rule.
  • when you have Compassionate and Compelling circumstances.
  • students requesting a less than full-time study load complete and return the Non-Standard Enrolment form to International Services.

For more information, email askUNE or if on the Armidale campus come and talk to UNE International (Building C30).

Transfer to Another Provider

Students are restricted from transferring to another Australian education provider if they have not yet completed 6 calendar months of study in their principal program. (If you are here to study a single program, that program is the principal program. If you are here to study more than one program, the principal program is the final program of a packaged offer.)

Students who wish to transfer before they have completed 6 calendar months of study in their principal program, must apply in writing to International Services for a Release Letter. The grounds for a Release Letter are as follows:

  • UNE has cancelled/ceased to offer the program (letter from UNE required)
  • Government sponsor considers the change to be in my best interest (letter from sponsor required)
  • Unable to meet academic requirements for entry into program
  • Exceptional circumstances (documentation required)

Students who wish to transfer after they have completed 6 calendar months of study in their principal program, can do so freely.

For more information, email askUNE.

Leave of Absence

To apply for Leave of Absence, you must show that you have "compassionate or compelling" circumstances. Your Leave will need to be approved by your Head of School, Research Services (for postgraduate research students) and authorised by International Services.

Please note: if you are granted Leave of Absence, you must leave Australia within 28 days. If you are away for more than six months, your visa may be cancelled. Please contact Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) for information about your visa before submitting a Leave of Absence application.

Examples of acceptable "compassionate or compelling" circumstances include:

  • serious illness or injury (supported by medical certificate which states the student was unable to attend classes)
  • bereavement of close family members such as parents or grandparents (supporting documentation required)
  • major political upheaval or natural disaster in the home country requiring emergency travel, which has impacted on the student's studies (supporting documentation required)
  • a traumatic experience eg, involvement in, or witnessing a serious accident,
  • witnessing or being the victim of a serious crime (supported by police or psychologists' reports)
  • UNE University was unable to offer a prerequisite unit or courses needed to meet award requirements
  • delay in receiving a student visa (supported by relevant, dated visa documentation)
  • other (attach supporting documentation)

For more information, email askUNE.

Online and Distance Study

International students can enrol in online/distance study modes, when such modes are offered as part of CRICOS-registered programs. However, there are limitations:

  • Online and distance courses can only make up 25% of your total program; and
  • In each compulsory Trimester, you must be enrolled in at least one unit that is delivered face-to-face.

In a non-compulsory Trimester (i.e. summer school), you may enrol full-time in online/distance courses. However, these will be counted towards your 25% limit.

For more information, email askUNE.

Disability Standards and Discrimination Information
The Disability Standards for Education 2005 and the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 only apply to students, while they are in Australia. For students studying overseas, it is up to the host institution to provide adjustments according to the regulations and laws appropriate for a particular country.