Gerontology/Aged Care is an important aspect of contemporary health services.
The aged care industry is developing in Australia and there are many opportunities available for interesting and varied work. Therefore, University of New England has catered for special work environments in the aged care industry with streams in aged care, community care, counseling studies, and disabilities studies. Experienced and skilled staff deliver this program and graduates are working throughout the state.
Why Study Gerontology/Aged Care at UNE?
Studying Gerontology/Aged Care at UNE offers great advantages to health professionals entering this field or those who wish to develop their knowledge further. The benefits that our students have found with studying these subject areas at UNE have been the flexible entry arrangements and the choice of streams to follow. The course is designed to cover theoretical and practical issues relevant to working in the aged care industry.
- Bachelor of Health, Ageing and Community Services
- Graduate Certificate of Gerontology
- Graduate Diploma of Gerontology
- Master of Gerontology
In addition to the above awards, the School of Health and University Partnerships offers short training programs in Health specifically designed for the busy health professional requiring updating training opportunities. Please visit the University Partnerships' web site for more information: http://www.unepartnerships.edu.au
Career progression is assisted greatly by the streams of aged care, community care, counseling studies, and disabilities studies. These streams were developed in conjunction with the aged care industry so that graduates would have the skills required.
Partnerships, networks and industry links
- Asia Pacific Journal of Health Management
- Australian Association of Gerontology
- Australian College of Health Services Executives
- Ascent Group Armidale
- Challenge Disability Services Tamworth
- Chinese University Hong Kong
- Institute of Nursing Administrators of NSW and ACT
- Greater Western Area Health Service*
- Hunter New England Area Health Service*
- Naresuan University Thailand
- National Centre for Hospital and Health Management (WHO CCE), Naresuan University Thailand
- New England Institute of TAFE
- New South Wales College of Nursing
- New South Wales Nurses Association
- Public Health Association, Australia
- Royal College of Nursing Australia
- RSLCare, Queensland*
- Sigma Theta Tau – International Nursing Honour Society
- Society of Health Administration Programs in Education
* Denotes organisations where current adjunct appointments are located.