Student Access & Equity
The University of New England takes the rights of staff and students seriously and is committed to eliminating discrimination and harassment in the University environment and embraces the concept of inclusiveness.
Student Access & Equity provides support and assistance to both internal and external students.
Student Equity provides advice on issues relating to harassment,discrimination,vilification (making vicious and defamatory statements) or bullying. Other equity-related matters covered are policy development and prevention and management strategies within UNE.
Student Access works to provide equal opportunities for all students to participate in study at UNE.
Equity Related Complaints
A complaint is considered to be equity based when you believe you are being discriminated against or harassed in your study because of your sex, sexual preference, transgender status, race, colour, ethnic or entho-religious background, descent or national identity, marital status, disability or age.
Complaints that do not involve allegations of unlawful discrimination or harassment on one of the above mentioned grounds are not considered to be equity-related. For assistance with non-equity based complaints please contact the Service Quality Unit.
Avenues for addressing Equity Related Complaints
Informally – the University’s Equal Opportunity Advisers (EOAs) are available for confidential discussion and can provide an explanation of options available to enquirers. If the complainant wishes, and the alleged offender agrees, an EOA can facilitate an informal discussion, or a mediation, between the parties.
UNE encourages resolution of all issues within the University where possible. However, students also have the right to by-pass University procedures and go directly to the NSW Anti-Discrimination Board or the federal Human Rights and Equity Opportunity Commission if they so wish.
Links to Equity Related Legislation and UNE Policies:
Commonwealth Government Legislation
- Commonwealth Racial Discrimination Act 1975
- Commonwealth Racial Hatred Act 1995
- Commonwealth Disabilty Discrimination Act 1992
- Disability Standards for Education 2005
- Commonwealth Human Rights Act and Equal Opportunity Act 1986 (PDF 342k)
- Sex Discrimination Act 1984
- Age Discrimination Act 2004
New South Wales Legislation
- Anti-Discrimination Act (NSW) 1977
- Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 Amendment 2005
- Community Relations Commission and Principles of Multiculturism Act 2000
- Disability Services Act 1993
UNE Policies and Procedures
- Anti-Racism Policy & Guidance Materials
- Cultural Diversity
- Cultural Diversity Priority Statement
- Disability Action Plan - 2010-2013 (WORD - 153kb)
- Disability Action Plan - 2010-2013 (PDF - 165kb)
- Grievance Mediation Policy & Procedures
- International Students – National Code Guidelines and Policies
- Reconciliation Statement
- Sex-Based Harassment Policy & Procedures
- Student Complaint Handling and Resolution Policy