Dr Same Varayudej
Phone: 2 6773 3806
Prior to joining the academic staff at the School of Law of the University of New England, Dr Varayudej practised several years as a barrister in private legal practice and acting for the Council of State of Thailand. He also taught at the Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University, Bangkok, and has been a guest lecturer at the University of Sydney and the University of New South Wales. Dr Varayudej's teaching commitments and research interests are in the areas of Corporations Law, Securities and Financial Services Law, International Trade Law, International Business Law, International Fisheries Law, Law of the Sea and Public international Law.
Link to UNE's e-Publications for Same Varayudej's publications list.
- 'Thailand's Legal System and Business Law', in Alice E-S Tay (ed), East Asia — Nation-building, Human Rights and Trade, (Nomos, Baden-Baden, Germany 1999) 538–598.
- 'A Right to Democracy in International Law: Its Implications for Asia', (2006) 12 Annual Survey of International & Comparative Law (forthcoming).
- 'Global Challenges to Fisheries Trade: A Case of Thailand', published in the Proceedings of the 3rd Asian Law Institute Conference, on 25–26 May 2006, Shanghai, China, vol 1, 88–97.
- 'Impact of Globalisation on Global Poverty: The Roles of the IMF, the World Bank and the WTO' (2006) 35 (1) Thammasat Law Journal 163–88.
- 'Company Directors' Duties under the Good Corporate Governance Systems and Lessons from the Pin Chakkaphak Case', 32 (2002) Thammasat Law Journal 54–67.
- 'Law Reform must follow Pin case: Thailand's system of corporate law must be revamped', The Nation, 20 August 2001, 5A.
- 'Good corporate governance', Bangkok Post, 5 May 2001
- 'China's Intrusion in Thai Domestic Affairs Sets a Bad Precedent', The Nation, March 2, 2001
- 'WTO: Its Impact on Developing Countries', 9 (1997) Sukhothai Thammathirat Law Journal 89–95.
- 'The Dispute Settlement System within UNCLOS', 95 (1997) Maritime Studies 19–26.
- 'Strafing of Thai Trawler by the Malaysian Navy Was the Excessive Use of Force', The Nation, 2 January 1996, 5.
Conference and seminar papers:
- 'An International Regime for the Conservation and Management of Deep Seabed Genetic Resources beyond National Jurisdiction', presented at the Centre for Maritime Policy, Faculty of Law, University of Wollongong, 14 February 2006.
- 'Is there a Right to Democracy in International Law?', presented at the International Law Society, School of Law, Golden Gate University, San Francisco, USA, on 29 September 2005.
- A Right to Democracy in International Law: Its Implications for Asia, presented at the 2nd Asian Law Institute Conference, Faculty of Law, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand, on 26–27 May 2005.
- 'Corporate Governance and Coporate Responsibilities under the Australian Corporate Law', presented at the School of Law, Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University, Nonthaburi, Thailand, on 10 February 2004.
- 'Globalisation and Global Poverty: Is there an Obligation to Help the Third World Countries', (Paper presented at the Faculty of Economics, University of Chiang Mai, Thailand, on 4 February 2004).
- 'Australian Corporations Law as a Model for Thailand's Corporate Law Reform', (Paper presented at the Ministry of Commerce of Thailand, Bangkok, on 9 January 2002).
- 'Duties of Directors under Good Corporate Governance Systems' (Paper presented at the Faculty of Law, Thammasat University, Bangkok, Thailand, on 20 December 2001).
- 'The Principles of Good Corporate Governance: A Comparative Perspective' (Paper presented at the Registration Office, the Ministry of Commerce of Thailand on 6th December 2001).
- 'Directors' Duties and the New Statutory Business Judgment Rule in Australia' (Paper presented at the Faculty of Law, Thammasat University, Bangkok, Thailand, on 13 September 2001).
- 'Corporate Governance and Duties of Company Directors: The Comparative Approaches of Australian and Thai Laws' (Paper presented at the seminar held by the School of Law, Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University, Bangkok, on 15th December 1999).
- 'The New Statutory Business Judgemnt Rule: Its Impact on the Standard of the Duty of Care of Company Directors', (Paper presented at the School of Law at Northern Territory University, 12 November 1998).
- 'The Dispute Settlement System within UNCLOS and the Role of NGOs in Resolving Maritime Disputes' (Paper presented to the International Conference on Navigation Rights and Freedoms — Contemporary Challenges and Tensions, hosted by Centre for Maritime Policy and Australian Centre for Environmental Law, University of Wollongong, 3–4 April 1997).
LLB (Hons) (Thammasat) LLM (Syd), PhD (Syd)