A/Prof Shubiao Wu (吴树彪)
Associate Professor - School of Environmental and Rural Science
Phone: +61 2 6773 2238; +61 2 6773 2353
A/Prof Shubiao Wu has interdisciplinary expertise in both animal and plant fields particularly in molecular genetics, gut microflora, necrotic enteritis and net energy. Prior to his current position at University of New England, he worked as a research fellow at University of Otago, New Zealand in inherited retinal diseases. He received his PhD in molecular mapping and reproduction of olives from The University of Adelaide in 2002. He also was a visiting Research Associate at The University of Western Australia during 1998 and 1999. Before migrating to Australia, Shubiao held a research position in Shanxi Academy of Agricultural Sciences, China, following completion of his MSc at Inner Mongolia University and BSc at Lanzhou University. Shubiao has published over 60 refereed journal papers. He is Academic Editor of PLOS ONE and serves as reviewers for over 30 scientific journals including Nucleic Acids Research, BMC Genomics and PLOS ONE. His current research interests are in the area of poultry energetics, gut microflora and health, and nutrigenomics. He also has collaborations with researchers in other biological areas involving molecular marker systems and transcriptomics in Australia and internationally.
- PhD - Plant genetics and reproductive biology, The University of Adelaide
- MSc - Plant reproductive biology, Inner Mongolia University
- BSc - Botany, Lanzhou University
World Poultry Science Association
Academic Editor of PLOSONE
Journals served as reviewer
Nucleic Acids Research, PLOS One, BMC Genomics, Plant Methods, BMC microbiology, Peer J, Microbial Ecology, BMC Plant Biology, Molecular Genetics and Genomics, Food Chemistry, Genome, BMC Genetics, Avian Pathology, Molecular Breeding, Animal, BMC Research Notes, British Poultry Science, BioTechniques; Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science, Scientia Horticulturae, Comparative Biochemistry & Physiology Part A, Environmental and Experimental Botany, Journal of Systematics and Evolution, Canadian Journal of Microbiology; SABRAO Journal of Breeding and Genetics, South African Journal of Animal Science, Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research, African Journal of Agricultural Research, and African Journal of Biotechnology.
I teach BCHM210/410 and BCHM220/240 at the University of New England.
- Gut microflora/health
- Animal genetics and nutrigenomics
- Energy system in poultry feed formulation
- Genetics (genetic and QTL mapping)
- Molecular marker assisted breeding
- Plant self-incompatibility and reproductive development
- Retinal degeneration
- 2017-2018: Ingredient matrix values for AME and implementation of net energy system in broilers. Poultry Hub Australia. $468K
- 2017-2018: Effect of DSM 29784 on gut health of broilers infected by necrotic enteritis. Adisseo France $334K
- 2017: Review of AME bioassay for ingredient matrix values of poultry. RIRDC $95K.
- 2015-2016: Bacteriophages to control necrotic enteritis in broiler chickens. Poultry CRC. $137K.
- 2015-2016: Implementation of a net energy system for laying chickens. Poultry CRC and AECL 2.1.11. $805K.
- 2014-2016: Nutritional manipulation of odour emissions from poultry. Poultry CRC 2.2.8. $350K.
- 2011–2014: Implementation of a net energy system for the Australian chicken meat industry. RIRDC RRJ-003306. $830K.
- 2012 – 2014: Optimization of Australian protein meals. RIRDCPRJ-007650. $717K.
- 2013-2014: Replacing oil with full fat canol seed in broilers. Poultry CRC, $120K.
- 2010-2012: Identification of microbial and gut-related factors driving bird performance. Australian Poultry CRC 2.1.5. $323K (UNE), $1.74M (Total).
- 2009: Realtime PCR quantification of gastrointestinal microbes in broiler challenge models. Completed. Australian Poultry CRC 09-22.
- 2008 - 2009: Role of voluntary litter consumption by broiler chickens on gut function and gut health. Completed. Australian Poultry CRC 06-18. $428,817 (collaborative).
- 2007: DNA extraction robotics: X-tractor Gene. Sciences Research Equipment Grant, University of New England. $50,000
Current and previous collaborators
University of New England: Prof Mingan Choct; Prof Steve Walkden-Brown; Prof Bob Swick, Prof Margaret Sedgley (retired), Prof John Gibson, Assoc Prof. Julie Roberts, Dr Wendy Brown, Dr Michael Reid, Dr David Backhouse, and Prof Jeremy Bruhl.
University of Sydney: Dr Sonia Yun Liu;
CSIRO: Dr Peter Hunt
RMIT: Prof Rob Moore
South Australian Research and Development Institute: Dr Reza Barekatain
Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, Queensland. Dr Nalini Chinivasagam
University of Ssaskatchewan: Prof Henry Classen.
Northeast Agricultural University (China): Prof Hui Li
(* corresponding author)
- Samiullah, S., Roberts, J., Wu, S.-B*. 2017. Downregulation of ALAS1 by nicarbazin challenge underlies the discolouration of eggshell in laying hens. Scientific Reports. (In press)
- Samiullah, S., Roberts, J., Wu, S.-B*. 2017. Reference gene selection for the shell gland of laying hens in response to time-points of eggshell formation and nicarbazin. PLOS ONE (In press)
- Kheravii, S, Swick, R., Choct, M., Wu, S.-B*. 2017. Coarse particle inclusion and lignocellulose-rich fiber addition in feed benefit performance and health of broiler chickens. Poultry Science. (In press)
- Keerqin, C., Morgan, N., Wu, S.-B., Svihus, B., Choct, M. 2017. Reintroduction of microflora from necrotic enteritis resistant chickens. Journal of Applied Poultry Science. (In press)
- Sharma, N., Keerqin, C., Wu, S., Choct. M., Swick, R. Emissions of volatile odorous metabolites by Clostridium perfringens in vitro study using two broth cultures. Poultry Science. (In press)
- Xue, G., Wu, S.-B., Choct, M., Pastor, A., Steiner, T., Swick, R.A., 2017. Impact of a Macleaya cordata derived alkaloid extract on necrotic enteritis in broilers. Poultry Science. (In press)
- Keerqin, C., Morgan N., Wu, S.-B. Swick, R.A., Choct, M. 2017. Dietary inclusion of arabinoxylo-oligosaccharides in response to broilers challenged with subclinical necrotic enteritis. British Poultry Science. (In press)
- Xue, G.-D., Wu, S.-B., Choct, M. and Swick, R. A. 2017. The role of supplemental glycine in establishing a subclinical necrotic enteritis challenge model in broiler chickens. Animal Nutrition. (In press)
- Ruhnke, I., Andronicos, N. M., Hunt, P., Hine, B., Sharma, N., Kheravii, S. K., Wu, S.-B. and Swick, R. A. 2017. Immune responses following experimental infection with Ascaridia galli and necrotic enteritis in broiler chickens. Avian Pathology. (In press)
- Erdaw, M., Wu, S., Iji, P. and Perez-Maldonado, R. 2017. Growth and Physiological Responses of Broiler Chickens to Diets Containing Raw, Full-Fat Soybean Meal and Supplemented With A High-Impact Microbial Protease. Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences. (In press)
- Yang, L., Cui, G., Wang, Y., Hao, Y., Du, J., Zhang, H., Wang, C., Zhang, H., Wu, S*. and Sun, Y. 2017. Expression of foreign genes demonstrates the effectiveness of pollen-mediated transformation in Zea mays. Frontiers in Plant Science 8:383.
- Keerqin, C., Wu, S.-B., Svihus, B., Swick, R., Morgan, N. and Choct, M. 2017. An early feeding regime and a high-density amino acid diet on growth performance of broilers under subclinical necrotic enteritis challenge. Animal Nutrition. 3:25-32.
- Wu, D., Wu, S., Choct, M. and Swick, R. 2017. Performance, intestinal microflora, and amino acid digestibility altered by exogenous enzymes in broilers fed wheat-or sorghum-based diets. Journal of Animal Science 95:740-751.
- Sharma, N., Choct, M., Wu, S. and Swick, R. 2017. Nutritional effects on odour emissions in broiler production. World's Poultry Science Journal 73:257-280.
- Sharma, N. K., Choct, M., Dunlop, M. W., Wu, S.-B., Castada, H. Z. and Swick, R. A. 2017. Characterisation and quantification of changes in odorants from litter headspace of meat chickens fed diets varying in protein levels and additives. Poultry Science 96:851-860.
- Toghyani, M., Girish, C., Wu, S., Iji, P. and Swick, R. 2017. Effect of elevated dietary amino acid levels in high canola meal diets on productive traits and cecal microbiota population of broiler chickens in a pair-feeding study. Poultry Science 96:1268-1279.
- Kheravii, S., Swick, R., Choct, M. and Wu, S.-B*. 2017. Potential of pelleted wheat straw as an alternative bedding material for broilers. Poultry Science 96:1641-1647.
- Zhang, F., Wu, S. and Liu, Q. 2016. Main factors influencing sorghum feeding value. . Chinese Journal of Animal Nutrition 28:1-8.
- M'sadeq, S., Swick, R., Choct, M. and Wu, S.* 2016. The Role of Coated Sodium Butyrate on Performance of Broilers Fed High Protein and Reduced Energy Diets. Journal of Applied Animal Nutrition 4:e2.
- M'sadeq, S. A., Wu, S.-B., Choct, M. and Swick, R. A. 2016. Heat production and energy efficiency of broilers infected with necrotic enteritis. Avian Diseases 60:50-55.
- Macharia, I., Backhouse, D., Wu, S. B. and Ateka, E. 2016. Weed species in tomato production and their role as alternate hosts of Tomato spotted wilt virus and its vector Frankliniella occidentalis. Annals of Applied Biology 169:224-235.
- Wu, S.-B.*, Rodgers, N. J., Cui, G., Sun, Y. and Choct, M. 2016. Dynamics of intestinal metabolites and morphology in response to necrotic enteritis challenge in broiler chickens. Avian Pathology 45:346-356.
- Sharma, N. K., Choct, M., Wu, S.-B., Smillie, R., Morgan, N., Omar, A. S., Sharma, N. and Swick, R. A. 2016. Performance, litter quality and gaseous odour emissions of broilers fed phytase supplemented diets. Animal Nutrition 2:288-295.
- Li, L.-S., Meng, Y.-P., Cao, Q.-F., Yang, Y.-Z., Wang, F., Jia, H.-S., Wu, S.-B*. and Liu, X.-G. 2016. Type 1 metallothionein (ZjMT) is responsible for heavy metal tolerance in Ziziphus jujuba. Biochemistry (Moscow) 81:565-573.
- Barekatain, M., Wu, S., Toghyani, M. and Swick, R. 2015. Effects of grinding and pelleting condition on efficiency of full-fat canola seed for replacing supplemental oil in broiler chicken diets. Animal Feed Science and Technology 207:140-149.
- Distefano, G., Piero, A. R. L., La Malfa, S., Caruso, M., Nicolosi, E., Wu, S.-B*. and Gentile, A. 2015. Genotyping and Mutation Scanning by High Resolution Melting (HRM) Analysis of Citrus EST-SNPs and SSRs. Acta Horticulturae 1065:575-584.
- Rodgers, N., Swick, R. A., Geier, M. S., Moore, R., Choct, M. and Wu, S.-B*. 2015. A multifactorial analysis of the extent to which Eimeria and fishmeal predispose broiler chickens to necrotic enteritis. Avian Diseases. 59(1):38-45
- M'sadeq, S. A., Wu, S.-B., Swick, R. A. and Choct, M. 2015. Dietary acylated starch improves performance and gut health in necrotic enteritis challenged broilers. Poultry Science: 94 (10): 2434-2444.
- M'sadeq, S. A., Wu, S.-B., Choct, M., Forder, R. and Swick, R. A. 2015. Use of yeast cell wall extract as a tool to reduce the impact of necrotic enteritis in broilers. Poultry Science: 94 (5): 898-905.
- Sharma, N. K., Choct, M., Wu, S.-B., Smillie, R. and Swick, R. A. 2015. Dietary composition affects odour emissions from meat chickens. Animal Nutrition 1:24-29.
- M'sadeq, S. A., Wu, S.*, Swick, R. A. and Choct, M. 2015. Towards the control of necrotic enteritis in broiler chickens with in-feed antibiotics phasing-out worldwide. Animal Nutrition 1:1-11.
- Macharia, I., Backhouse, D., Skilton, R., Ateka, E., Wu, S.-B., Njahira, M., Maina, S. and Harvey, J. 2015. Diversity of thrips species and vectors of tomato spotted wilt virus in tomato production systems in Kenya. Journal of Economic Entomology 108:20-28.
- Macharia, I., Backhouse, D., Ateka, E., Wu, S. B., Harvey, J., Njahira, M. and Skilton, R. 2015. Distribution and genetic diversity of Tomato spotted wilt virus following an incursion into Kenya. Annals of Applied Biology 166:520-529.
- Wu, D., Wu, S., Choct, M. and Swick, R. 2015. Comparison of 3 phytases on energy utilization of a nutritionally marginal wheat-soybean meal broiler diet. Poultry Science 94:2670-2676.
- Dang, Z.-H., Qi, Q., Zhang, H.-R., Li, H.-Y., Wu, S.-B. and Wang, Y.-C. 2014. Identification of salt-stress-induced genes from the RNA-seq data of reaumuria trigyna using differential-display reverse transcription PCR. International Journal of Genomics 2014: 381501.
- Barekatain, M., Noblet, J., Wu, S., Iji, P., Choct, M. and Swick, R. 2014. Effect of sorghum distillers dried grains with solubles and microbial enzymes on metabolizable and net energy values of broiler diets. Poultry Science: 93 (11): 2793-2801.
- Zheng, L., Dang, Z., Li, H., Zhang, H., Wu, S. and Wang, Y. 2014. Isolation and characterization of a Δ1-pyrroline-5-carboxylate synthetase (NtP5CS) from Nitraria tangutorum Bobr. and functional comparison with its Arabidopsis homologue. Molecular Biology Reports 41:563-572.
- Wu, S.-B.*, Stanley, D., Rodgers, N., Swick, R. A. and Moore, R. J. 2014. Two necrotic enteritis predisposing factors, dietary fishmeal and Eimeria infection, induce large changes in the caecal microbiota of broiler chickens. Veterinary Microbiology 169:188-197.
- Purushothaman, D., Brown, W., Vanselow, B., Quinn, K. and Wu, S*. 2014. Flaxseed oil supplementation alters the expression of inflammatory-related genes in dogs. Genetics and Molecular Research 13:5322-5332.
- Kitessa, S. M., Nattrass, G. S., Forder, R. E., Mcgrice, H. A., Wu, S.-B. and Hughes, R. J. 2014. Mucin Gene mRNA Levels in Broilers Challenged with Eimeria and/or Clostridium perfringens. Avian Diseases 58:408-414.
- Zhao, X., Wu, S., Wang.,Y., Cui, G., Wang, X.,, Du, J., Wang, X., Shang, Y., and Sun, Y. 2014. The Vector Construction of Anthocyanins as a Visual Marker Gene and Its Transient Expression in Maize Immature Embryos. BioTechnology Bulletin 2014:77-82.
- Stanley, D., Wu, S.-B., Rodgers, N., Swick, R. A. and Moore, R. J. 2014. Differential responses of cecal microbiota to fishmeal, Eimeria and Clostridium perfringens in a necrotic enteritis challenge model in chickens. PloS One 9:e104739.
- Purushothaman, D., Vanselow, B. A., Wu, S.-B., Butler, S. and Brown, W. Y. 2013. Whole Body Computed Tomography with Advanced Imaging Techniques: A Research Tool for Measuring Body Composition in Dogs. Journal of Veterinary Medicine 2013: 610654.
- Dang, Z.-H., Zheng, L.-L., Wang, J., Gao, Z., Wu, S.-B., Qi, Z. and Wang, Y.-C. 2013. Transcriptomic profiling of the salt-stress response in the wild recretohalophyte Reaumuria trigyna. BMC Genomics 14:29.
- Distefano, G., La Malfa, S., Gentile, A. and Wu, S.-B*. 2013. EST-SNP genotyping of citrus species using high-resolution melting curve analysis. Tree Genetics & Genomes 9:1271-1281.
- Swick, R. A., Wu, S.-B., Zuo, J., Rodgers, N., Barekatain, M. R. and Choct, M. 2013. Implications and development of a net energy system for broilers. Animal Production Science 53:1231-1237.
- Zhang, Q., Niu, J., Wu, S., Buyantuyev, A. and Dong, J. 2012. Impact of climatic factors on genetic diversity of Stipa breviflora populations in Inner Mongolia. Genetics and Molecular Research 11:2081-2093.
- Distefano, G., Caruso, M., La Malfa, S., Gentile, A. and Wu, S.-B*. 2012. High resolution melting analysis is a more sensitive and effective alternative to gel-based platforms in analysis of SSR–an example in citrus. PloS One 7:e44202.
- Wu, S.-B.*, Rodgers, N. and Choct, M. 2011. Real-time PCR assay for Clostridium perfringens in broiler chickens in a challenge model of necrotic enteritis. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 77:1135-1139.
- Purushothaman, D., Brown, W. Y., Wu, S.-B. and Vanselow, B. 2011. Evaluation of breed effects on n-3 PUFA metabolism with dietary flaxseed oil supplementation in dogs. British Journal of Nutrition 106:S139-S141.
- Tavassolian, I., Rabiei, G., Gregory, D., Mnejja, M., Wirthensohn, M.G., Hunt, P.W., Gibson, J.P., Ford, C.M., Sedgley, M., and Wu, S.-B.* (2010). Construction of an almond linkage map in an Australian population Nonpareil × Lauranne. BMC Genomics 11: 551.
- Wu, S.-B.*, Rodgers, N., and Choct, M. (2010). Optimized necrotic enteritis model producing clinical and subclinical infection of Clostridium perfringens in broiler chickens. Avian Diseases.54: 1058-1065.
- Wu, S.-B.*, Franks, T. K., Hunt, P., Wirthensohn, M. G., Gibson, J. and Sedgley, M. (2010). Discrimination of SNP genotypes associated with complex haplotypes by high resolution melting (HRM) analysis in almond: implications for improved marker efficiencies. Molecular Breeding. 25: 351-357.
- Wang, H.B., Wang, Q.G., Zhang, X. Y., Gu, X. F., Wang, N., Wu, S.-B. and Li, H. (2010) Microarray analysis of genes differentially expressed in the liver of lean and fat chickens. Animal. 4: 513-522.
- Specht, D., Wu, S.-B., Turner, P., Dearden, P., Koentgen, F., Wolfrum, U., Maw, M., BrandstäTter, J. H. and Tom Dieck, S. 2009. Effects of presynaptic mutations on a postsynaptic Cacna1s calcium channel colocalized with mGluR6 at mouse photoreceptor ribbon synapses. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 50:505-515.
- Wu, S.-B.*, Tavassolian, I., Rabiei, G., Hunt, P., Wirthensohn, M., Gibson, J. P., Ford, C. M. and Sedgley, M. 2009. Mapping SNP-anchored genes using high-resolution melting analysis in almond. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 282:273-281.
- Wu, S.-B.*, Wirthensohn, M., Hunt, P., Gibson, J. and Sedgley, M. (2008). High resolution melting analysis of almond SNPs derived from ESTs. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 118: 1-14.
- Hemara-Wahanui1, A., Berjukow, S., Hope, C. I., Dearden, P. K., Wu, S.-B., Wilson-Wheeler, J., Sharp, D. M., Lundon-Treweek, P., Clover, G. M., Hoda, J., Striessnig, J., Marksteiner, R., Hering, S., and Maw, M. A. (2005) A CACNA1F mutation identified in an X-linked retinal disorder shifts the voltage-dependence of Cav1.4 channel activation. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, USA. 102: 7553-8.
- Wu, S.-B., Collins, G. and Sedgley, M. (2004) A molecular linkage map of olive (Olea europaea L.) based on RAPD, microsatellite, and SCAR markers. Genome. 47: 26-35.
- Guerin, J., Wu, S., Mekuria, G., Collins, G., Jones, G., Burr, M., Wirthensohn, M., Lavee, S. and Sedgley, M. 2002. Olive cultivar improvement through selection and biotechnology. Advances in Horticultural Science:198-203.
- Wu, S.-B., Collins, G. and Sedgley, M. 2002. Sexual compatibility within and between olive cultivars. The Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology 77:665-673.
Research Supervision Experience
Dr Natalie Morgan (Postdoc), poultry nutrition
Dr Mehdi Toghyani (Postdoc), poultry nutrition
Mr Chuck Keerqin (Postdoc), broiler gut health
Mr Sarbast Qassim (Kheravii) (PhD student), broiler nutrition, gut health and nutrigenomics
Ms Kosar Gharib (PhD student), broiler necrotic enteritis, gut health, microbiome and nutrigenomics
Mr Sosthene Musigwa (PhD student), broiler net energy and additive
Dr Lihong Qin (visiting academic, Jilin Academy of Agricultural Sciences, China).
Prof Huiqin Lu (visiting academic, Shanxi Academy of Agricultural Sciences, China).
Mr Bruce Murray (PhD student, 2012- ), river ecosystem and biodiversity.
Mr Virgilio Linis (PhD student, 2013 -), bryophyte taxonomy.
Ms Moreen Ali (PhD student, 2014 -), broiler net energy.
Ms Sarah Haberecht (PhD student, 2015 -), poultry nutrition.
Mr Sami Samiullah (PhD student, 2015 -), layer physiology.
Mr Shahram Barzegar (PhD student, 2015 -), layer net energy.
Mr Matthew Hilliar (PhD student, 2016 -), poultry nutrition.
Ms Jessica Tunnage (MSc student, 2016 - ), meat science.
Mr Holy Zanu (PhD student, 2016 -), poultry nutrition.
Mr Biniam Lakew (PhD student, 2017 -), Theileria orientalis epidemiology.
Ms Manisha Kolakshyapati (PhD student, 2017 -), free range laying hens.
Dr Iraj Tavassolian (The University of Adelaide, 2006 - 2008). Almond genetic and QTL mapping.
Dr Gholameraza Rabiei (University of New England, 2006 - 2010). Almond genetic and QTL mapping.
Dr Nick Rodgers (Postdoctorial Fellow 2009-2012), broiler chicken gut microflora.
Ms Dharma Purushothaman (PhD student 2009-2013), canine nutrigenomics and faecal microflora.
Dr Gaetano Distefano (Visiting Postdoctorial Fellow, University of Catania, Italy, 2011), Citrus SNP development.
Dr Jianjun Zuo (visiting A/Prof, South China Agricultural University, China, 2011-2012), broiler gut microflora and gene expression.
Dr Alex Wu (PhD student 2011- 2015), broiler nutrition, microfolra and gene expression.
Dr Shawkat M Sadeq (PhD student 2012- 2015), broiler nutrition, microfolra and fatty acids.
Ms Hong Thi Nguyen (Master student, 2012- 2015), broiler nutrition and net energy.
Dr Isaac Macharia (PhD student, 2012- 2015), tomato spotted wilt virus (TSWV) management.
Mr Wisam Kishlaf (Master student, 2012-2013), broiler nutrition and net energy.
Dr Nishchal Sharma (PhD student, 2013 - 2017), broiler production and environment.
Dr Mehdi Toghyani Khorasgani (PhD student, 2015 - 2017), broiler nutrition.
Mr Guangda (Danny) Xue (PhD student, 2013 - 2017), broiler nutrigenomics.
Mr Chake (Chuck) Keerqin (PhD student, 2013 - 2017), broiler nutrigenomics.
Ms Chrissie Prychid (PhD studemt, 2013 - 2017), monocot taxonomy.