Ian R H Telford
- School of Environmental and Rural Science
Phone: +61 2 6773 2875
- Ensuring best practice in herbarium management
- Application of systematic and nomenclatural changes to the collection
- Leading a team of volunteers performing specimen preparation and data entry
Teaching and training
- Instructing undergraduate and post-graduate students in field collection and herbarium protocol and techniques
- Visiting school groups and university open days
- Carrick teaching excellence award 2006
- Plant identifications
- Assisting naturalist and native plant enthusiast groups
- Herbarium displays for open days
- My main research interests are in the biology, systematics and biogeography of Cucurbitaceae. As part of an international group studying this family, I have contributed to the understanding of relationships of Australia's endemic Cucurbits
- Another area of interest is Phyllanthaceae. Again, an international team is studying the systematics of the family
- Increasing knowledge of the flora of north-eastern New South Wales, at present with its biodiversity highly underestimated, is also a major area of concern of our herbarium team
- I prepare my own scientific line drawings
Current research projects include:
- Species and other taxonomic limits in Phyllanthaceae in Australia
- Revision of Cucumis (Cucurbitaceae) in Australia
- Species delimitation in Phebalium and Philotheca (Rutaceae) in north-eastern N.S.W.
- Species delimitation in Prostanthera (Lamiaceae) in north-eastern New South Wales
- Species delimitation in Xerochrysum (Asteraceae) in eastern Australia
Some recent refereed publications:
Sebastian, P.M., Schaefer, H., Lira, R., Telford, I.R.H. & Renner, S.S. (2012) Radiation following long distance dispersal: the contributions of time, opportunity and diaspore morphology in Sicyos (Cucurbitaceae), Journal of Biogeography 39: 1427–1438.
Stimpson, M.L., Weston, P.H., Telford, I.R.H. & Bruhl, J.J. (2012) First instalment in resolution of the Banksia spinulosa complex (Proteaceae): B. neoanglica, a new species supported by phenetic analysis, ecology and geography, Phytokeys 14: 57–80.
Telford, I.R.H. (2012) Gaultheria viridicarpa, a new name in Ericaceae: Vaccinioideae, Telopea 14: 77–81.
Telford, I.R.H., Sebastian, P., de Lange, P.J., Bruhl, J.J. & Renner, S.S. (2012) Morphological and molecular data reveal three rather than one species of Sicyos (Cucurbitaceae) in Australia, New Zealand and islands of the South West Pacific, Austral. Syst. Bot. 25: 188–201.
Telford, I.R.H., Schaefer, H., Greuter, W. & Renner, S.S. (2011) A new Australian species of Luffa (Cucurbitaceae) and typification of two Australian species of Cucumis, all based on collections by Ferdinand Mueller in 1859, Phytokeys 5: 21–29.
Sebastian, P., Schaefer, H., Telford, I.R.H. & Renner, S.S. (2010): Cucumber (Cucumis sativus) and melon (C. melo) have numerous wild relatives in Asia and Australia, and the sister species of melon is from Australia, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 107: 14269–14273.
Telford, I.R.H., Sebastian, P., Bruhl, J.J. & Renner, S.S. (2010) Cucumis (Cucurbitaceae) in Australia and eastern Malesia including newly recognized species and the sister species to C. melo, Austral. Syst. Bot. 36: 376–389.
Pruesapan, K., Telford, I.R.H., Bruhl, J.J., Draisma, S.G.A. & van Welzen, P.C. (2008) Delimitation of Sauropus (Phyllanthaceae) based on plastid matK and nuclear ribosomal ITS DNA sequence data, Annals Bot. 02: 1007-1018
Schaefer, H., Telford, I.R.H. & Renner, S.S. (2008) Austrobryonia (Cucurbitaceae), a new Australian endemic genus, is the closest living relative to the Eurasian and Mediterranean Bryonia and Ecballium, Syst. Bot. 33: 125–132.
Copeland, L.M. & Telford, I.R.H. & (2007) Pimelea cremnophila (Thymelaeaceae) a new species from the New England Tableland of north-eastern New South Wales, Telopea 11: 111–116.
Telford, I.R.H. (2007) Hernandiaceae, Fl. Australia 2, 224–232. CSIRO Publications.
Telford, I.R.H. & Copeland, L.M. (2006) Philotheca papillata (Rutaceae) a new endemic species from north-eastern New South Wales, Telopea 11: 105–110.
Cayzer, L.W., Crisp, M.D. & Telford, I.R.H. (2005) Cladistic analysis and revision of Billardiera (Pittosporaceae), Australian Syst. Bot. 17: 83–125.
Telford, I.R.H. (2005): Cucurbitaceae, in G.Staples & D.Herbst (eds), Tropical Gardens, Bishop Museum & Uni. of Hawaii Press.