Dr David Paterson
Adjunct Associate Professor - School of Education
David Paterson is an Adjunct Associate Professor in the School of Education
BA DipEd (Mac) Grad Dip Ed Studies - Special Education (UTS) MEd (UNE) PhD (Alberta)
Australian Association of Special Education (AASE) Inc
Australian College of Educators (ACE)
European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI)
American Educational Research Association (AERA)
International Study Association on Teacher Thinking (ISATT)
Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE)
Recent external consultancies
- T.A.L.E. at Westdale - Together a Learning Experience. Australian Government Quality Teaching Program (AGQTP)
- Quality Assessment Through Technology. Australian Government Quality Teaching Program (AGQTP)
- Education in Inclusive Classrooms - Professional learning program. Catholic Schools Office, Diocese of Armidale.
- Strategies Program for Effective Learning/Thinking (SPELT) workshop for teachers. Catholic Schools Office, Diocese of Armidale.
Cognitive and metacognitive instruction
Effective inclusion of students with special needs
Use of adaptive strategies by students with intellectual disabilities in inclusive classrooms
Education in rural and remote schools
- Previous appointments as special education teacher (high support needs) and special education consultant
- Contributed to forums and conferences in areas of special education, effective instruction integration, active learning, cognitive and metacognitive instruction
- Member of writing team - Cognitive and metacognitive strategy instruction manual (Alberta Vocational College, Edmonton, Canada)
- Consultancies with government and private sector school systems in support for students with special needs in regular classrooms.
Books and monographs
Graham, L., Paterson, D. and Stevens, R. (2007). Exceptional educational equity programs Teneriffe, Qld. : Post Pressed.
Paterson, D., Graham, L. and Stevens, R. (2007). Exceptional student welfare plans Teneriffe, Qld. : Post Pressed.
Afamasaga-Fuatai, K., Lyons, T., Merrotsy, P., Paterson, D. & Smith, H. (2006). Not just another face in the crowd: Report from SiMERR NSW. In T. Lyons, (ed.) Science, ICT and Mathematics Education in Rural and Regional Australia: State and Territory Case Studies. Armidale: University of New England. 100-122.
Paterson, D. (2007). Teacher thinking in inclusive classrooms. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 40 (5), 427-435
Pearce, A., Graham, L., Miller, J., & Paterson, D. (2007). Supporting Young Children to Develop Independent Learning and Literacy Skills through the Use of Pictographed Instructions: The Moving with Language Program. Child Health and Education: An interdisciplinary journal, 1 (1), 54-68
Graham, L., Boileau-Little, D., Webster, H., Roach, D., Berman, J., Harrington, I., Paterson, D., Sargeant, J., Maurer, J. (2006). Powerful partnerships: Special education teachers as seconded faculty. Special Education Perspectives, 15 (1), 58-69.
McConaghy, C., Graham, L., Bloomfield, D., Miller, J., Paterson, D., Lloyd, L., Jenkins, K., Hardy, J., Taylor, N., & Noone, G. (2006). Bush Tracks: Exploring Rural Teaching Transitions. Education in Rural Australia, 16 (2), 3-13
Miller, J., Graham, L & Paterson, D. (2006). Bush Tracks: Viewing Teachers' Experiences of Leadership in Rural Schools Through a Contextual Lens. Education in Rural Australia, 16 (2), 31-47
Recent conference presentations
Graham, L., Paterson, D. & Miller, J. (2008) Leadership in Australian Rural Schools: Bush Track, Fast Track. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association (AERA) New York, USA
Paterson, D, & Graham, L. (2007). Self-regulation and Strategy Instruction: Implications for the Inclusive Classroom. Invited keynote presentation at the National Conference of the Australian Association of Special Education Inc (AASE). Sydney, NSW
Paterson, D, (2007). Adaptive Help-seeking Strategies in the Inclusive Secondary Classroom. Paper presented at the National Conference of the Australian Association of Special Education Inc (AASE). Sydney, NSW
Paterson, D. (2007) Adaptive help-seeking strategies in the inclusive secondary classroom. Paper presented at the 12th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI). Budapest, Hungary
Paterson, D. (2005) Risky learning – a challenge for teachers and learners. Paper presented at the International Supportive Education Congress (ISEC). Glasgow, UK