Centre for Agriculture and Law
While we practice and provide innovative scholarship on laws and institutions affecting rural communities, our aim is to develop policies and strategies to improve rural sustainability and social justice.
The strategic direction of the Centre is focused on:
- law reform, with an emphasis upon innovative approaches to improve behavioural effectiveness, reduce transaction costs, and ensure fairness in the governance of natural resources and agriculture
- fairness and justice for disadvantaged rural communities, including access to services by regional and remote communities, and indigenous social justice.
Our focus is on reforms to improve:
- sustainable use of natural resources
- the quality of rural life.
We achieve our aims by:
- drawing on the legal scholarship of the School of Law at UNE
- drawing on the substantial intellectual resources from UNE Schools
- using the Centre's network of local and international academic and commercial collaborators
- working closely with Research Centres hosted at UNE
- supervising Doctoral and Masters students from Australia and overseas
- offering distance-learning Masters subjects in natural resource governance
- working with our research associates.