New England Award Activities
The New England Award works on a points system where each activity undertaken is worth a certain number of 'NEA points'. To receive the New England Award you have to accrue 1000 NEA points.
There is an extensive list of activities that can be counted towards your New England Award. This list may be viewed in your MyNEA. account. Login using your UNE username and password, browse, and add any of the activities that you are partaking in now or in the future. You might also add activities in that you could aim to be doing in the future.
The list of activities are NOT all the activities you are able to do. As a New England Award participant, you are not only encouraged, but expected to find activities in your OWN local community, and activities related to your needs for personal and professional development.
The activities shown are only those that are available on campus, or are widely available.
YOU CAN DEFINITELY ADD ACTIVITIES THAT ARE NOT IN THIS LIST. THESE ARE CALLED CUSTOMISED ACTIVITIES. OFF CAMPUS STUDENTS - ALL your activities might be customised as you will be looking for activities in your own community, and they will probably not appear in the 'standard' activity list.
1. decide what you want to do, and where you feel the activity belongs (which NEA category)?
2. have a look at the list of standard activities to see if there is something similar - that will help you work out how many points you think your activity might be worth
3. if you THINK the activity will be worth 50 or more points email details to email@example.com with links to websites, or any other documenation you have, and let us know what category and how many points you'd like to claim
4. the NEA Program Manager will evalate the activity and advise if you can add it as a customised activity. It might also be something that other participants are able to get involved with, in which case it will be added to the list of standard activities
5. we are very flexibile, and accommodate YOUR development needs with activities that are relevant to each individual participant.
To view the list without logging in to your MyNEA-Portfolio, click here.
When undertaking an activity that will count towards your New England Award it is important that you notify the activity provider. You may also need to provide supporting documentation for activities which are unknown to the NEA Office and/or have been completed external to the university.
Voluntary work for NEA points
If you wish to claim NEA points for undertaking VOLUNTEER work you must ensure that you and the 'employer' have signed the NEA Work Experience Disclosure form and returned it the NEA Office. If the form is not completed and signed you will not be eligible to claim the NEA points for the work undertaken. THIS IS A UNIVERSITY POLICY AND IS TO ENSURE YOU ARE COVERED BY INSURANCE WHILE UNDERTAKING THE WORK PLACEMENT.