The University of New England was the first Australian university established outside a capital city. With a history extending back to the 1920s, UNE has a well-earned reputation as one of Australia's great teaching, training and research universities. The UNE campus is situated on 74 hectares of heritage parklands, overlooking the beautiful city of Armidale. All faculties, residences and recreational facilities are set in idyllic surroundings, within easy walking distance from each other.
Facilities at UNE
- The Café - Located in the centre of the campus, The Café is a great place for lunch, snacks or an espresso coffee during the day.
- The Booloominbah Collection - The Brasserie and Courtyard Café are located in the historic Booloominbah homestead. Relax with coffee and cake or enjoy excellent food throughout the year at Booloominbah.
- Campus Essentials - A retail shop, newsagent and post-office rolled into one, Campus Essentials has everything needed for life at UNE.
- Sleek Hair Studio - UNE 's very own hair salon - with great deals for students on haircuts, massages and beauty treatments and products.
- Campus Bookshop - There are two bookshops on campus; a retail shop which stocks all current student textbooks and a secondhand shop where students can buy used textbooks at reduced prices.
- Medical Centre - The UNE Medical Centre is available specifically for students oncampus. International students are able to access this facility and use their Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for a number of different health services.
- Childcare - UNE offers childcare to staff and students at a university managed centre called Yarm Gwanga (meaning 'place for children') including long day care, residential and vacation care.
- Access to Money - The Armidale campus also has ATMs, a local Credit Union branch and a variety of student welfare services.
- FutureCampus - FutureCampus is an innovation learning hub located at Church Street, Parramatta.
Sport UNE offers students and staff a great range of on campus sporting facilities.
The recreational facilities at Sport UNE include:
- 25m, six lane indoor heated pool;
- Gym with highly accredited staff and modern cardio and weight training equipment
- Group fitness/aerobics classes including bike workout, dance classes and boxing;
- Indoor climbing wall;
- Seven squash courts, eight floodlit hard court and six grass and clay tennis courts;
- Large indoor multi-purpose stadium (for basketball, volleyball, netball, indoor football and badminton);
- Five football (soccer) fields, one rugby league field, two rugby union fields, one Aussie Rules oval;
- Two synthetic surface hockey fields, five cricket wickets; and
- Grass athletics track and training facilities.
Safety and Security
The UNE Campus Safety Centre (B089) is located in the College precinct near the corner of Elm Avenue and Handel St. It is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A Safety & Security officer is always available to attend any urgent incident or provide a helpful presence if for any reason you feel concerned for your safety. Services provided include:
- General Enquiries
- ID Card & Building Access
- Parking Assistance & Way Finding
- Lost Property
- Incident Reporting
- Flat Battery Assistance
- Maps & General Directions
Acknowledgement of Country
The University of New England respects and acknowledges that its people,
programs and facilities are built on land, and surrounded by a sense of belonging, both ancient and contemporary,
of the world's oldest living culture.
In doing so, UNE values and respects Indigenous knowledge systems
as a vital part of the knowledge capital of Australia.