The Special Collections bring together materials which are rare, fragile, valuable, of special importance, or relate to the New England Region. Special collections at University Library include the:
- Armidale Environment Centre Archives
- Australian League of Rights Collection
- Campbell Howard Collection of Australian Plays
- Family History Collection
- Geoffrey Atkinson Collection of Manuscript Letters (letters by famous British and American writers)
- Gordon Athol Anderson Music Collection (medieval music)
- Hoddinott Collection (Aboriginal languages)
- New England Collection (regional publications and/or regional content)
- Rare Books Collection
- RS Neale Collection (English social and economic history)
- Royal Society of NSW Collection (international scientific publications, many in foreign languages)
- Saunders Collection in War and Peace.
UNE staff and students may request retrieval of items from these collections using Search. Other researchers should use the Closed Collection Retrieval Request form. Items requested by 2.00 PM on a weekday are available for use at the Service Desk by 3.00 PM on the same day.
Individuals may photocopy supplied items from the Collection for their own use in accordance with the provisions of the Copyright Act, providing the physical collection of the item allows copying to occur.
Researchers seeking direct access to a specific collection should first read the Policy on Direct Access, and complete the appropriate form.