The Special Collections bring together materials which are rare, fragile, valuable, of special importance, or relate to the New England Region. They include the:
- Armidale Environment Centre Archives
- Australian League of Rights Collection
- Campbell Howard Collection of Australian Plays
- Family History Collection
- Geoffrey Atkinson Collection of Manuscript Letters (letters by famous British and American writers)
- Gordon Athol Anderson Music Collection (medieval music)
- Hoddinott Collection (Aboriginal languages)
- New England Collection (regional publications and/or regional content)
- Rare Books Collection
- RS Neale Collection (English social and economic history)
- Royal Society of NSW Collection (international scientific publications, many in foreign languages)
- Saunders Collection in War and Peace.
Researchers seeking access to materials stored in the Special Collections should read the Policy on Access to Special Collections.