Frequently Asked Questions - Occupational Trainees

What are the UNE Schools contact details?

Arts –

Behavioural Cognitive & Social Sciences –

Environmental & Rural Science –

Science & Technology –

Humanities –

UNE Business –

Education –

Health –

Law –

Rural Medicine –

Who can be an occupational trainee at UNE?

In general, occupational trainees must meet one or more of the following requirements:

  • have been employed in their current occupation, studying or engaged in their field of expertise for at least the last 12 months
  • have recently graduated from a foreign educational institution and are either:
    - seeking occupational training in a closely related field, or
    - undertaking research in their field of study
  • be undertaking a course of study at an overseas educational institution, and be able to provide evidence from that overseas institution that the occupational training will be credited towards the grant of an award.
How do I become an Occupational Trainee at UNE?

You will firstly be required to work with the nominating School at UNE to complete a Visiting Nomination Form, selecting "Occupational Trainee" from the drop down menu.

The School needs to lodge a formal nomination with Department of Immigration and Border Protection before you can apply for your visa. They will require particular paperwork from you, outlined in the Occupational Trainee nomination checklist.

Once the nomination is lodged, the School will provide you will all documentation you require, as listed in the Visa Documentation checklist.

You will receive advice of your visa application approval from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection – this may take up to 3 months.

How long can an Occupational Trainee Appointment be for at UNE?

No longer than twelve months.

How will I find out whether my application for an Occupational Trainee position has been approved?

A confirmation letter will be emailed to the address you provide on the application form, by the appropriate School.

What happens if my application is not approved by the School?

There is no right of appeal, and the application will go no further.

What do I do with the terms and conditions in the confirmation letter?

You will be required to sign the terms and conditions specific to your appointment in the outcome letter and return to the appropriate School.

What forms am I required to complete, for the Department of Immigration and Border Protection?

The School will be required to complete form 1402N and on approval, visa applicant should complete form 1402.

Do I have to submit forms 1283 and 1284 for the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, and if so when?

If you answer no to question 17 in the Nomination for an occupational trainee form 1402N, (indicating that the nominee will not be paid by the University) you will need to submit both forms (1283 and 1284) with the nomination form 1402N. Be aware that 1283 requires signature from the visa applicant and will need to signed prior to lodging the nomination.

What attachments do I need to submit with the Nomination for an occupational trainee form 1402N?
What happens if the Nomination for an occupational trainee form 1402N is rejected?

No visa can be applied for; therefore no Occupational Trainee appointment can be made.

What do I do when the nomination 1402N has been approved?

Note the visa applicant is able to apply for their visa as soon as the nomination is lodged and a Nomination application Acknowledgement of receipt has been emailed- the nomination does not need to be approved for a visa application to be made.

What attachments do I need to submit with the Application for a Training and Research visa – occupation trainee stream, form 1402?

See Visa Documentation checklist for the full list.

What do I do when forms 1402N and 1402 have been approved by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection?

Provide the approvals the appropriate School at UNE, who will provide copies to HRS for staff records and processing.

Who will inform HRS at UNE to finalise the appointment?

The appropriate School will send all documents to HRS, who will then finalise the appointment.

How long will my paperwork take to process, after being sent to HRS?

Your paperwork will be processed within 10 business days, once paperwork is submitted to HRS, from the School. HRS will inform you via email when the appointment has been finalised.

How do I know what my staff number is?

When your visa has been confirmed, and you have notified the School an email will be sent to you from HRS, providing your staff number.

How do I get access to my email?

The School will supply you with a New IT Account Registration Request for staff form – this form needs to be completed and taken to Dixson Library Service Desk, Level 2 in Dixon Library (C31), or submitted via This will give you online access and a @une email address. If you have any queries, please contact IT Service Desk - +61 (2) 6772 5000 or email.

What facilities will I have access to in an Occupational Trainee position?

This is dependent upon the resources of the School who has nominated you. Heads of School will ensure that access to UNE facilities is provided at their discretion. If you have certain expectations and requirements for your role, you must discuss this with the School directly to come to an appropriate arrangement.

Do you keep a copy of my paperwork?

HRS will keep a copy of your paperwork as an electronic document.

Can I cease my appointment early, if necessary?

Yes, HRS at UNE is able to cease the appointment early upon a request by the School where the appointment is held. If you wish to cease your appointment you should contact the appropriate school in the first instance.