Visiting Academics and Non-Academics & Occupational Trainees

Please contact HR Services directly regarding appointments for Visiting Academics and Occupational Trainees due to significant Immigration changes from November 2016

University policy requires that overseas visitors obtain the correct visa while engaged with training or research. Overseas visitors will fall into one of the below categories, listed in line with visas offered by Department of Immigration and Border Protection:

  • Occupational Trainee: Postgraduate students, or recent doctoral graduates who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training or participate in classroom based professional development activities.
    Training Visa (407)
  • Visiting Academics and Visiting Research Students: Individuals who are associated with another institution who are invited to visit Australia to observe or participate in an Australian research project.
    Training Activity Visa (subclass 408)

HRS are currently updating the processes and procedures for both Visiting Academics and Visiting Research Students, and Occupational Trainees. If you are unsure which visa is appropriate or have any other questions, please contact HRS via email or by phoning +61 2 6773 3705.