The University of New England takes the rights of staff and students seriously and is committed to eliminating discrimination and harassment in the University environment and embraces the concept of inclusiveness.
Student Equity, in the Special Needs Office, provides equal opportunities for all students, internal and external, to participate in study at UNE.
Student Equity provides advice on issues relating to harassment, discrimination, vilification (making vicious and defamatory statements) or bullying. Other equity-related matters covered are policy development and prevention and management strategies within UNE.
A matter is considered to be equity-based, when you believe you are being discriminated against or harassed in your study because of your sex, sexual preference, transgender status, race, colour, ethnic or religious background, descent or national identity, marital status, disability or age.
If you have any equity-related questions, please contact the Special Needs Office on 02 6773 2897 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Avenues for addressing Equity Related Complaints
UNE encourages resolution of all issues within the University where possible. As a first point of call, we encourage you to raise the matter with the individual involved, if possible.
You can either contact the Special Needs Office to seek advice, or submit a complaint with the Student Grievance Unit (SGU). SGU offers a formal process to address complaints related to a student's studies or relationship with UNE.
If your complaint is not resolved within the University, you have the right to by-pass University procedures and go directly to the NSW Anti-Discrimination Board or the Australian Human Rights Commission.
Equity Related Legislation and UNE Policies:
UNE Policies and Procedures
- Cultural Diversity
- Cultural Diversity Priority Statement
- Disability Action Plan 2014-2017 ()
- Gender Representation on Decision Making & Advisory Committees Policy
- International Students – National Code Guidelines and Policies ()
- University Ombudsman
- UNE Reconciliation Statement
- Sex-Based Harassment Policy
- Student (Related) Grievance Handling Policy
- Student (Related Grievance Handling Procedures
New South Wales Legislation
- Anti-Discrimination Act (NSW) 1977
- Community Relations Commission and Principles of Multiculturalism Act 2000