An A–Z listing of helpful web pages and services
Check out the desk plus the A to Z listing of services further below.
The Desk is a useful link that we encourage all UNE students to access and aims to support Australian tertiary students to achieve mental and physical health and well-being. Being a student can be a challenging time and many students do not access support services for a range of reasons including time pressures, not knowing where to go for help and feeling embarrassed.
- Tenants NSW
- The Share House Survival Guide http://rlc.org.au/publication/share-housing-survival-guide-nsw
- Uni4Me Accommodation Information
- Housing NSW 1800 152 152
Alcohol and other drugs
- Alcohol and Drug Information Service - 24/7 education, information, referral, crisis counselling and advice. Regional and Rural NSW Freecall 1800 422 599
- Alcohol and Drug Foundation or ADF
- ADF Drug Facts Up-to-date information on drugs and drug prevention
- National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre Provides information on publications, useful links, research, drug trends, drug information and the latest research
- Counselling Online is a service where you can communicate with a counsellor about an alcohol or drug related concern using text interaction.
- Drug Information @ Your Local Library How to access drug information "that you can trust" from your local library, plus links to websites on drugs and drug issues.
- Just Ask Us website is aimed at university students who are seeking information or help in relation to a wide range of health issues, including alcohol, drugs, mental health and well-being.
- Your Room A place to get facts about alcohol and other drugs.
- S.M.A.R.T. - Self Management and Recovery Training - is a peer managed, self-help group that assists you to recover from alcohol and drug use. SMART Recovery teaches practical skills to help you deal with your problems enabling you to abstain and achieve a healthy lifestyle balance.
- Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre - Treatment, education, and research
Community Self-help Groups
- Information about the Armidale region
- Armidale Regional Council Includes a comprehensive community directory
- Armidale Volunteer Referral Service, 141 Faulkner Street Armidale. Contact (02) 6770 3838
- Men's Group (Armidale)- men of all backgrounds and interests welcome to share in a supportive, non-judgemental environment. Contact (02) 6772 0153
- Armidale Men's Shed (02) 6772 5899
- Neighbourhood Centre (Armidale) – information and referral, especially on welfare related matters – (02) 6772 4373
- Volunteering Australia
- Salvation Army social services Social services without discrimination
- Lifeline Get Help - Facts and Information about a range of issues and services.
- The Butterfly Foundation - comprehensive information and support for people with eating disorders
Emergency Relief Providers
- Global Care Armidale and Uralla Food Pantry - Affordable food items supplied by Foodbank NSW
- St Vincent de Paul Society Armidale Diocesan Central Council. Check out how to get help for finances, food and more
- ASIC's Money Smart Guide - See links to directories for emergency relief in your area
- Foodbank - Click the Need Help? tab to find the Food Bank contact in your state, who can then link you to local organisations who distribute food to individuals
Family Support Services
- Family Support Service (Armidale) – advocacy, referral, support and practical assistance for families with young children – 89 Rusden St Armidale 9.30 to 3.30 M to Thurs (02) 6772 7243
- Brighter Futures New England - services and targeted support for children aged 0-8 years and their families -Suite 1/215 Beardy St Armidale, phone (02) 6771 4700. Details about Brighter Futures programs here.
- HCFA Helping Children and Families Association Inc. – Armidale charity whose mission is to connect famiies of young children within the community. (02) 6776 6209
- Centacare New England North West - Support to strengthen family relationships, help families stay together, and assist families through separation
- Relationships Australia is a not-for-profit organisation with no religious affiliations, and provides relationship support services for individuals, couples, families and communities.
- Parentline- telephone counselling for parents with children aged 0 – 18 years, 9 to 4.30pm, Monday to Saturday 132 055
- What's OK at Home? Website by the Domestic Violence Resource Centre to help people understand what family violence is, how to get help, and more.
- Fly Lady: Many women students who are running a house and/or raising a family have recommended the following website for how to get one's house, studies and life in order, and how to do so with lots of humour and compassion.
- Gamblers Anonymous (Armidale) – meets at Armidale Neighbourhood Centre, 129 Rusden St - 7pm Thursdays.
- Gambling Help Online: Counselling and support online 24/7
- NSW Gambling Help – 24hr phone counselling service for people with a gambling problem. 1800 858 858
- The Northern Rivers Gambling Service A website "designed to help those who may have a gambling problems and those who are affected by someone with a gambling problem"
Gay and Lesbian - GLBTIA+
- Q Life is Australia's first nationally oriented counselling and referral service for people of diverse sex, genders and sexualities. Call 1800 184 527.
- ACON Community, Health and action Information on health promotion, especially within the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender communities
- 2010 – support for young gays, lesbians, bisexual and transgender 10am to 6 pm 1800 652 010.
- The Gender Centre - A Sydney-based site which offers a wide range of services and information for people with gender issues, their partners, families and friends. Good information on all aspects of transition.
- PFlag Australia for accurate and unbiased information for families and friends regarding gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersex, and queer issues.
- Hepatitis Australia Whose vision is to end hepatitis B and C in Australia. National Hepatitis Information Line 1800 437 222
- AMSA — A wellbeing guide for medical students - by the Australian Medical Students Association
- Tune In Not Out (TINO) Stories, videos, topics relevant to youth - including sexual health, body image, mental health, sexuality, communication and lots more!
- Canteen - Online support for young people (12 to 24 year olds) living with cancer
- Positive Life NSW: The voice of people with HIV since 1988. Treatments Officer (02) 9206 2177
- HIV Information Line – The Albion Centre - telephone information and advice Mon to Fri 9am to 4pm, 1800 451 600 or (02) 9332 9700
- HIV/AIDS Positive Counselling, AIDS Council of NSW 1800 063 060
- North and North West Community Legal Service Inc. (Armidale) 1800 687 687 or (02) 6772 8100
- Chamber Magistrate (Armidale). Call in service at the Court House for free procedural advice (not legal representation) Mon to Fri 10am to 12.30 pm and 2pm to 3.30 pm - Armidale Court House.
- Legal Aid NSW. Advice and assistance in Armidale on bi-monthly basis. Ph. Tamworth Office, (02) 6766 6322 to arrange appointment.
- Family Law Court Information – phone the National Enquiry Centre 1300 352 000
- Law Society of NSW - For the Community – Provides information about finding a solicitor, disputes and mediation, making a complaint, and more.
- Tenants NSW - the website of the Tenants' Union of NSW and network of Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services 1800 088 592
- Redfern Legal Centre - Free, confidential legal advice to international students living in NSW.
- Men's Group (Armidale). Men of all backgrounds and interests welcome to share in a supportive, non-judgemental environment. Contact (02) 6772 0153.
- Armidale Men's Shed
- Mensline Australia (24 hours) Support and resources for men who are dealing with family and relationship difficulties such as separation 1300 789 978
- White Ribbon Australia - Engaging men to make women's safety a man's issue too
- Way Ahead Directory - A comprehensive online database used to find local services, make referrals and access mental health information and resources.
- Mentalhealthonline - For a list of national and statewide mental health crisis services.
- Head to Health - For a comprehensive list of links to online self-help sites, go to
- Understanding Anxiety: A NSW Health web site to help you recognise and understand signs and symptoms of anxiety and how to get treatment to manage it
- Blue Pages: Provides advice about depression for consumers
- Beyond Blue: Information about depression and available treatments
- Batyr: A for purpose organisation that focuses on preventative education in the area of youth mental health.
- Blue Knot Foundation: Supports survivors, their families and communities through professional phone counselling, information, resources, advocacy and educational workshops.
- Carer Services - Support for Mental Health Carers
- dNet: Depression services - Information, help and support for people who have depression or are depressed
- Flourish Australia - Where mental wellbeing thrives.
- Headspace Australia's National Youth Mental Health Foundation
- Health Direct Up-to-date information on A to Z of health topics including mental health issues such as bipolar disorder or schizophrenia
- Multicultural Mental Health Australia Information on mental health and suicide prevention for Australians from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Reach Out Information for young people in issues such as mental health, drugs and alcohol, eating disorders, relationships, school and university, sexuality and coming out
- SANE Australia - Information about mental health and illness, including treatments, support, and how you can help yourself
- The Mood Gym
- The Black Dog Institute is an educational, research, clinical and community-oriented facility dedicated to improving understanding, diagnosis and treatment of mood disorders.
- NEPIR - New England Partners in Recovery: Supporting people living with mental health issues, their families and carers, and supporting services.
- Virtual Clinic A website used for research for Internet Treatment of Anxiety and Depressive Disorders
- Dr Marie Stopes International
- Family Planning NSW referral and information on reproductive and sexual health services in NSW
- Pregnancy, Birth and Baby helpline - provides counseling and support for women or their partners who are experiencing an unplanned pregnancy. Free call 1800 882 436 or website information here.
- PANDA - Support for Perinatal Anxiety and Depression Australia
- Armidale Sexual Assault Service (02) 6776 9655 (BH). The Sexual Assault Crisis Team is available via the 24hr Emergency Department of the Armidale Hospital on (02) 6776 9500. For a list of Sexual Assault Services in the New England area, go here.
- NSW Rape Crisis Centre – 24hr state-wide telephone and online, crisis intervention, support counselling and referral service for anyone who has been sexually assaulted. 1800 424 017. Special number for hearing impaired TTY (02) 9181 4349
- NSW Police — information about adult sexual assault
- Victims Services has information on how to access counselling and financial assistance and your rights as a victim. 1800 633 063
- Blue Knot Foundation Empowering recovery from childhood trauma. Blue Knot helpline 1300 657 380.
- For information about deciding if, how, when, why, where, and with whom to be sexually active, go to our comprehensive sexual health webpage.
- Women's Shelter (Armidale) – As part of Armidale Women's Homelessness Support Service Inc., the Shelter provides emergency accommodation, medium term housing and/or personal support for women and children escaping domestic violence and/or facing homelessness 1800 005 352 or (02) 6772 5352
- Women NSW – Free Confidential information and referral to a wide range of service in NSW. Issues covered include domestic violence, anti-discrimination, women's health, education and training, women and work, accommodation, child care, government services and student resources. 1800 817 227.
- 1800RESPECT National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service. - 1800 737 732 or 1800RESPECT
- Women's Legal Service NSW – free legal advice (02) 8745 6988, 1800 801 501
- When Love Hurts — A woman's guide to understanding abuse in relationships
- Many UNE students who are running a house and/or raising a family have recommended the following website for how to get one's house, studies and life in order, and how to do so with lots of humour and compassion. www.flylady.net