An A–Z listing of helpful web pages and services
See the A–Z listing further below, after a helpful link for all Australian students to The desk.
The Desk is a useful link that we encourage all UNE students to access and aims to support Australian tertiary students to achieve mental and physical health and well-being. Being a student can be a challenging time and many students do not access support services for a range of reasons including time pressures, not knowing where to go for help and feeling embarrassed.
- Tenants NSW
- The Share House Survival Guide http://rlc.org.au/publication/share-housing-survival-guide-nsw
- Uni4Me Accommodation Information
- Housing NSW 1800 152 152
Alcohol and other drugs
- Alcoholics Anonymous (Armidale) (02) 6771 4445
- Freeman House (Armidale) (02) 6772 4475
- Alcohol and Drugs Information Service - 24/7 education, information, referral, crisis counselling and advice 1800 422 599
- Australian Drug Foundation
- Drug Info Clearing House Up-to-date information on drugs and drug prevention
- National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre Provides information on publications, useful links, research, drug trends, drug information and the latest research
- Counselling Online is a service where you can communicate with a counsellor about an alcohol or drug related concern using text interaction.
- Drug Information @ Your Local Library How to access drug information "that you can trust" from your local library, plus links to websites on drugs and drug issues.
- Just Ask Us website is aimed at university students who are seeking information or help in relation to a wide range of health issues, including alcohol, drugs, mental health and well-being.
- Your Room Discover useful information about drugs and alcohol in this interactive environment - a joint initiative by NSW Health and St. Vincents Alcohol and Drug Information Service.
- S.M.A.R.T. - Self Management and Recovery Training - is a peer managed, self-help group that assists you to recover from alcohol and drug use. SMART Recovery teaches practical skills to help you deal with your problems enabling you to abstain and achieve a healthy lifestyle balance.
- Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre - Treatment, education, and research
Community Self-help Groups
- Information about the Armidale region
- Armidale Regional Council Includes a comprehensive community directory
- Armidale Volunteer Referral Service, 141 Faulkner Street Armidale. Contact (02) 6770 3838
- Men's Group (Armidale)- men of all backgrounds and interests welcome to share in a supportive, non-judgemental environment. Contact (02) 6772 0153
- Neighbourhood Centre (Armidale) – information and referral, especially on welfare related matters – (02) 6772 4373
- Volunteering Australia
- The Salvation Army's Salvo Careline 1300 363 622
- Lifeline's Just Ask (Mental Health Information and Referral) 1300 131 114
- Linkline – information on support groups 1800 811 620
- The Butterfly Foundation - comprehensive information and support for people with eating disorders
Family Support Services
- Family Support Service (Armidale) – advocacy, referral, support and practical assistance for families with young children – 89 Rusden St Armidale 9.30 to 3.30 M to Thurs (02) 6772 7243
- Brighter Futures New England - services and targeted support for children aged 0-8 years and their families -Suite 1/215 Beardy St Armidale, phone (02) 6771 4700
- Hope for the Children (Armidale) – support service for stressed families, especially with new babies (02) 6771 5051
- Relationships Australia is a not-for-profit organisation with no religious affiliations, and provides relationship support services for individuals, couples, families and communities.
- Parentline- telephone counselling for parents with children aged 0 – 18 years, 9 to 4.30pm, Monday to Saturday 132 055
- Family Crisis Service 1300 134 294
- Bursting the Bubble-is for teenagers and is about abuse by family members. It provides quizzes, stories, advice and more.
- Fly Lady: Many women students who are running a house and/or raising a family have recommended the following website for how to get one's house, studies and life in order, and how to do so with lots of humour and compassion.
- Gamblers Anonymous (Armidale) – meets at St. Vincent de Paul, Rusden St. Thursday 7pm and at Freeman House, 1 Crescent St, Saturday 7pm (02) 6772 4475
- Gambling Help Online: Counselling and support online 24/7
- G-Line NSW – 24hr phone counselling service for people with a gambling problem. 1800 858 858
- The Northern Rivers Gambling Service A website "designed to help those who may have a gambling problems and those who are affected by someone with a gambling problem"
Gay and Lesbian - GLBTIA+
- Q Life is Australia's first nationally oriented counselling and referral service for people of diverse sex, genders and sexualities. Call 1800 184 527.
- ACON Community, Health and action Information on health promotion, especially within the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender communities
- 2010 – support for young gays, lesbians, bisexual and transgender 10am to 6 pm 1800 652 010.
- The Gender Centre - A Sydney-based site which offers a wide range of services and information for people with gender issues, their partners, families and friends. Good information on all aspects of transition.
- HIV/AIDS Information Line – telephone information and advice Mon to Fri 8am to 7pm, Sat 10 am to 6 pm 1800 451 600 or (02) 9332 9700
- HIV/AIDS Positive Counselling, AIDS Council of NSW 1800 063 060
- PFLAGAustralia for accurate and unbiased information for families and friends regarding gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersex, and queer issues.
- Healthy Active: Information and initiatives on healthy eating, regular physical activity, overweight and obesity to assist all Australians to lead healthy and active lives
- HepatitisC.org.au is an independent community based organisation providing information, support and advocacy to people effected by Hepatitis C
- AMSA; A wellbeing guide for medical students - by the Australian Medical Students Association
- Tune In Not Out (TINO) Stories, videos, topics relevant to youth - including sexual health, body image, mental health, sexuality, communication and lots more!
- Canteen - Online support for young people (12 to 24 year olds) living with cancer
- Positive Life NSW: The voice of people with HIV since 1988
- North and North West Community Legal Service Inc. (Armidale) 1800 687 687 or (02) 6772 8100
- Chamber Magistrate (Armidale). Call in service at the Court House for free procedural advice (not legal representation) Mon to Fri 10am to 12.30 pm and 2pm to 3.30 pm.
- Family Law Court Information – phone the National Enquiry Centre 1300 352 000
- Legal Aid NSW. Advice and assistance in Armidale on bi-monthly basis. Ph. Tamworth Office, (02) 6766 6322 to arrange appointment.
- NSW Law Society Community Assistance – Provide help with legal information, referral to legal aid and other agencies and solicitors. Mon to Fri 9am to 5 pm 1300 888 529
- Tenants NSW - the website of the Tenants' Union of NSW and network of Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services 1800 088 592
- Men's Group (Armidale). Men of all backgrounds and interests welcome to share in a supportive, non-judgemental environment. Contact (02) 6772 0153.
- Mensline (24 hours) Support and resources for men who are dealing with family and relationship difficulties such as separation 1300 789 978
- Men's Domestic Violence Hotline 1800 000 599
- Mind Health Connect - For a comprehensive list of links to online self-help sites, go to
- Understanding Anxiety: A NSW Health web site to help you recognise and understand signs and symptoms of anxiety and how to get treatment to manage it
- Blue Pages: Provides advice about depression for consumers
- Beyond Blue: Information about depression and available treatments
- Batyr: A for purpose organisation that focuses on preventative education in the area of youth mental health.
- Blue Knot Foundation: Supports survivors, their families and communities through professional phone counselling, information, resources, advocacy and educational workshops.
- Carer Assist - Support for Mental Health Carers
- Depression Net: Depression services Information, help and support for people who have depression or are depressed
- Headspace Australia's National Youth Mental Health Foundation
- Health Insite Up-to-date information on A_Z of health topics including mental health issues such as bipolar disorder or schizophrenia
- Reach Out Information for young people in issues such as mental health, drugs and alcohol, eating disorders, relationships, school and university, sexuality and coming out
- Multicultural Mental Health Australia Information on mental health and suicide prevention for Australians from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- The Mood Gym
- The Black Dog Institute is an educational, research, clinical and community-oriented facility dedicated to improving understanding, diagnosis and treatment of mood disorders.
- Virtual Clinic A website used for research for Internet Treatment of Anxiety and Depressive Disorders
- Dr Marie Stopes International
- Family Planning NSW referral and information on reproductive and sexual health services in NSW
- The National Pregnancy Support Helpline - provides counseling and support for women or their partners who are experiencing an unplanned pregnancy. Free call 1800 422 213;
- Armidale Sexual Assault Service (02) 6776 9655 (BH). The Sexual Assault Crisis Team is available via the 24hr Emergency Department of the Armidale Hospital on (02) 6776 9500
- NSW Rape Crisis Centre – 24hr state-wide telephone and online, crisis intervention, support counselling and referral service for anyone who has been sexually assaulted. 1800 424 017. Special number for hearing impaired TTY (02) 9181 4349
- New reporting options for victims of sexual assault
- Victims Services has information on how to access counselling and financial assistance and your rights as a victim. 1800 633 063
- Blue Knot Foundation Empowering recovery from childhood trauma. Blue Knot helpline 1300 657 380.
- For information about deciding if, how, when, why, where, and with whom to be sexually active, go to our comprehensive sexual health webpage.
- Armidale City Centre Women's and Children's Support Services. Upstairs in Faulkner House (opp. the Police Station). Open weekdays 9.30 to 3.00, Ph: (02) 6771 4221
- Women's Shelter (Armidale) – As part of Armidale Women's Homelessness Support Service Inc., the Shelter provides emergency accommodation, medium term housing and/or personal support for women and children escaping domestic violence and/or facing homelessness 1800 005 352 or (02) 6772 5352
- Women's Information and Referral Services – Free Confidential information and referral to a wide range of service in NSW. Issues covered include domestic violence, anti-discrimination, women's health, education and training, women and work, accommodation, child care, government services and student resources. 1800 817 227.
- 1800RESPECT National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service. - 1800 737 732 or 1800RESPECT
- Women's Legal Resources Centre – free legal advice 1800 801 501
- When Love Hurts. A website for young women.
- Domestic Violence and Incest Resource Centre (DVIRC) is a statewide service in Victoria, Australia. DVIRC aims to reduce and prevent family violence by providing education to improve service and policy responses, and by assisting people who have experienced abuse.
- Texas Women's University - This self help library contains information about important topics including assertiveness, emotions, depression, study skills, stress management, time management, etc. You can view and/or copy handouts from this site.
- Many UNE students who are running a house and/or raising a family have recommended the following website for how to get one's house, studies and life in order, and how to do so with lots of humour and compassion. www.flylady.net