The A to Z listing of web pages and services below includes services in the Armidale area and beyond.
A useful link that we encourage all UNE students to access is thedesk. thedesk aims to support Australian tertiary students to achieve mental and physical health and wellbeing. Being a student can be a challenging time and many students do not access support services for a range of reasons including time pressures, not knowing where to go for help and feeling embarrassed. Providing resources online means that more people will be able to get help to improve their wellbeing and be able to study more effectively. thedesk offers free access to online modules, tools, quizzes and advice. When registering with thedesk, when you indicate you are a UNE student, you will be linked back to relevant UNE services. www.thedesk.org.au
- Tenants NSW - the website of the Tenants' Union of NSW and network of Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services. www.tenants.org.au
- The Share House Survival Guide www.rlc.org.au/sharehousing
- Services UNE Accommodation Information www.servicesune.com.au/student-support/accommodation.php
- The Benevolent Society – Post Adoption resources and support services http://www.bensoc.org.au/postadoption/ Provides post-adoption support in NSW (02 9504 6788 or Regional 1300 659 814) and QLD (07 3170 4600 or Regional 1300 914 819)
Alcohol and other drugs
- Alcoholics Anonymous (Armidale) (02) 6771 4445
- Freeman House (Armidale) (02) 6772 4475
- Alcohol and Drugs Information Service 1800 422 599
- Australian Drug Foundation www.adf.org.au
- Drug Info Clearing House www.druginfo.adf.org.au/ Up-to-date information on drugs and drug prevention
- National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre www.ndarc.med.unsw.edu.au/ndarc.nsf Provides information on publications, useful links, research, drug trends, drug information and the latest research
- Counselling Online www.counsellingonline.org.au is a service where you can communicate with a counsellor about an alcohol or drug related concern using text interaction.
- Drug Information @ Your Local Library www.diayll.sl.nsw.gov.au/How to access drug information "that you can trust" from your local library, plus links to websites on drugs and drug issues.
- Just Ask Us website is aimed at university students who are seeking information or help in relation to a wide range of health issues, including alcohol, drugs, mental health and well-being. www.justaskus.org.au
- Discover useful information about drugs and alcohol in this interactive environment - a joint initiative by NSW Health and St. Vincents Alcohol and Drug Information Service. www.yourroom.com.au
- Methamphetamine self-assessment and information web page www.meth.org.au
- S.M.A.R.T. - Self Management and Recovery Training - is a peer managed, self-help group that assists you to recover from alcohol and drug use. SMART Recovery teaches practical skills to help you deal with your problems enabling you to abstain and achieve a healthy lifestyle balance. www.smartrecoveryaustralia.com.au/
- Youth Drug Support www.yds.org.au/ is a website for young people looking for information about drugs or alcohol, sex or sexuality and includes fact sheets, an interactive poll, forum and the opportunity to ask a health professional a question and recieve a confidentail answer.
Community Self-help Groups
- Armidale Community Directories www.armidaleregion.com
- Armidale Dumaresq Council www.armidale.local-e.nsw.gov.au Includes a comprehensive community directory
- Armidale Volunteer Referral Service, 129 Rusden Street Armidale. Contact (02) 6770 3838 http://www.volunteering.com.au/working_with_volunteers/nsw_volunteer_centres.asp
- Men's Group (Armidale)- men of all backgrounds and interests welcome to share in a supportive, non-judgemental environment. Contact (02) 6772 0153
- Neighbourhood Centre (Armidale) – information and referral, especially on welfare related matters – (02) 6772 4373
- The Salvation Army's Salvo Careline 1300 363 622
- Lifeline's Just Ask (Mental Health Information and Referral) 1300 131 114
- Linkline – information on support groups 1800 811 620
Family Support Services
- Family Support Service (Armidale) – advocacy, referral, support and practical assistance for families with young children – 89 Rusden St Armidale 9.30 to 3.30 M to Thurs (02) 6772 7243
- Brighter Futures New England - services and targeted support for children aged 0-8 years and their families -Suite 1/215 Beardy St Armidale, phone (02) 6771 4700
- Hope for the Children (Armidale) – support service for stressed families, especially with new babies (02) 6771 5051
- Parentline- telephone counselling for parents with children aged 0 – 18 years, 9 to 4.30pm, Monday to Saturday 132 055
- Family Crisis Service 1300 134 294
- Bursting the Bubble-is for teenagers and is about abuse by family members. It provides quizzes, stories, advice and more.. www.burstingthebubble.com
- Many women students who are running a house and/or raising a family have recommended the following website for how to get one's house, studies and life in order, and how to do so with lots of humour and compassion. www.flylady.net
- Gamblers Anonymous (Armidale) – meets at St. Vincent de Paul, Rusden St. Thursday 7pm and at Freeman House, 1 Crescent St, Saturday 7pm (02) 6772 4475
- G-Line – 24hr phone counselling service for people with a gambling problem 1800 633 635 or 1800 622 112; www.gamblinghangover.nsw.gov.au
- The Northern Rivers Gambling Service www.nrgs.org.au A website "designed to help those who may have a gambling problems and those who are affected by someone with a gambling problem"
Gay and Lesbian
- UNE Queer Officer to be determined
- UNE Queer Space, Building EO 16 . Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gender Sexuality Minorities Alliance @ UNE http://callmegay.wordpress.com/about/
- UNE ALLY Program - Equality for all students and staff regardless of their sexual orientation. www.une.edu.au/eeo/ally
- Gay and Lesbian Counselling Service (4pm to midnight) (02) 9207 2800 or 1800 805 379. www.glcsnsw.org.au Free, anonymous, confidential telephone counselling, information; referral services and groups for gay men, lesbians, bisexual and transgender persons through NSW on sexuality and life issues.
- ACON Community, Health and action www.acon.org.au Information on health promotion, especially within the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender communities
- 2010 – support for young gays, lesbians, bisexual and transgender 10am to 6 pm 1800 652 010. www.twenty10.org.au/
- The Gender Centre - A Sydney-based site which offers a wide range of services and information for people with gender issues, their partners, families and friends. Good information on all aspects of transition. www.gendercentre.org.au/
- HIV/AIDS Information Line – telephone information and advice Mon to Fri 8am to 7pm, Sat 10 am to 6 pm 1800 451 600 or (02) 9332 9700
- HIV/AIDS Positive Counselling, AIDS Council of NSW 1800 063 060
- Rainbow Visions Hunter http://www.rainbowvisions.org.au/ aims to enhance the health, well-being and social life of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer people in the Newcastle and Hunter Region.
- We can influence our happiness through what we do and how we think http://makingaustraliahappy.abc.net.au/
- Information and initiatives on healthy eating, regular physical activity, overweight and obesity to assist all Australians to lead healthy and active lives http://www.healthyactive.gov.au/
- www.hepatitisc.org.au is an independent community based organisation providing information, support and advocacy to people effected by Hepatitis C
- A wellbeing guide for medical students - by the Australian Medical Students Association http://www.amsa.org.au/keepingyourgrassgreener
- Tune In Not Out (TINO) http://www.tuneinnotout.com/ Stories, videos, topics relevant to youth - including sexual health, body image, mental health, sexuality, communication and lots more!
- North and North West Community Legal Service Inc. (Armidale) 1800 687 687 or (02) 6772 8100
- Chamber Magistrate (Armidale). Call in service at the Court House for free procedural advice (not legal representation) Mon to Fri 10am to 12.30 pm and 2pm to 3.30 pm.
- Family Law Court Information – phone the National Enquiry Centre 1300 352 000
- Legal Aid NSW. Advice and assistance in Armidale on bi-monthly basis. Ph. Tamworth Office, (02) 6766 6322 to arrange appointment.
- Law Society Community Assistance – Provide help with legal information, referral to legal aid and other agencies and solicitors. Mon to Fri 9am to 5 pm 1300 888 529
- Tenants Advisory Service 1800 088 592
- Men's Group (Armidale). Men of all backgrounds and interests welcome to share in a supportive, non-judgemental environment. Contact (02) 6772 0153 or (02) 6772 8072
- Mensline (24 hours) 1300 789 978
- Men's DV Hotline 1800 000 599
- Mensline www.menslineaus.org.au Support and resources for men who are dealing with family and relationship difficulties such as separation
- For a comprehensive list of links to online self-help sites, go to http://www.mindhealthconnect.org.au/library/online-program
- A NSW Health web site to help you recognise and understand signs and symptoms of anxiety and how to get treatment to manage it www.understandinganxiety.com.au/
- Blue Pages www.bluepages.anu.edu.au/ Provides advice about depression for consumers
- Beyond Blue www.beyondblue.org.au Information about depression and available treatments
- Carer Assist - Support for Mental Health Carers www.carerassist.org.au
- depressionServices www.depressionServices.org.au Information, help and support for people who have depression or are depressed
- Headspace www.headspace.org.au/ Australia's National Youth Mental Health Foundation
- Health Insite www.healthinsite.gov.au/ Up-to-date information on A_Z of health topics including mental health issues such as bipolar disorder or schizophrenia
- Reach Out www.reachout.com.au Information for young people in issues such as mental health, drugs and alcohol, eating disorders, relationships, school and university, sexuality and coming out
- Multicultural Mental Health Australia www.mmha.org.au/ Information on mental health and suicide prevention for Australians from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- The Mood Gym www.moodgym.anu.edu.au
- The Black Dog Institute www.blackdoginstitute.org.au is an educational, research, clinical and community-oriented facility dedicated to improving understanding, diagnosis and treatment of mood disorders.
- A website used for research for Internet Treatment of Anxiety and Depressive Disorders www.virtualclinic.org.au
- Contraceptive Services www.contraceptiveservices.com.au
- Abortion Access and Information. http://www.abortionaccess.info/abortionclinics.htm This website will give you a full listing of all abortion clinics in Australia
- Family Planning NSW www.fpnsw.org.au/ referral and information on reproductive and sexual health services in NSW
- The National Pregnancy Support Helpline - provides counselling and support for women or their partners who are experiencing an unplanned pregnancy. Free call 1800422213; http://www.health.gov.au/pregnancyhelpline
- Armidale Sexual Assault Service (02) 6776 9655 (BH). The Sexual Assault Crisis Team is available via the 24hr Emergency Department of the Armidale Hospital on (02) 6776 9500
- Child Sexual Assault Counselling Service (Armidale) (02) 6772 9973
- NSW Rape Crisis Centre – 24hr state-wide telephone and online, crisis intervention, support counselling and referral service for anyone who has been sexually assaulted. 1800 424 017. Special number for hearing impaired TTY (02) 9181 4349 www.nswrapecrisis.com.au
- New reporting options for victims of sexual assault http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/community_issues/adult_sexual_assault
- Women's Centre (Armidale and District) – a resource service providing information, referral and support for women, 3/87 Beardy St. Mon – Thurs 9.00 – 3.00pm (02) 6772 9540 http://armidalewomenscentre.com/
- Women's Housing (Armidale) – provides subsidised medium term housing for single women and women with children who meet their criteria and help women find their own accommodation. 188 Rusden St. (02) 6772 8915 http://www.armidalewomenshousing.org/
- Armidale City Centre Women's and Children's Support Services. Upstairs in Faulkner House (opp. the Police Station). Open weekdays 9.30 to 3.00, Ph: (02) 6771 4221
- Women's Shelter (Armidale) http://womensshelterarmidale.org/– provides emergency accommodation and/or personal support for women and children escaping domestic violence 1800 005 352 or (02) 6772 5352
- Women's Information and Referral Services – Free Confidential information and referral to a wide range of service in NSW. Issues covered include domestic violence, anti-discrimination, women's health, education and training, women and work, accommodation, child care, government services and student resources. 1800 817 227. www.women.nsw.gov.au
- 1800RESPECT National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service. www.1800respect.org.au - 1800 737 732 or 1800RESPECT
- Women's Legal Resources Centre – free legal advice 1800 801 501
- When Love Hurts. A website for young women. www.dvirc.org.au/whenlove
- Domestic Violence and Incest Resource Centre (DVIRC) is a statewide service in Victoria, Australia. DVIRC aims to reduce and prevent family violence by providing education to improve service and policy responses, and by assisting people who have experienced abuse. www.dvirc.org.au
- Texas Women's University www.twu.edu/o-sl/counseling/selfhelp.html This self help library contains information about important topics including assertiveness, emotions, depression, study skills, stress management, time management, etc. You can view and/or copy handouts from this site.
- Many UNE students who are running a house and/or raising a family have recommended the following website for how to get one's house, studies and life in order, and how to do so with lots of humour and compassion. www.flylady.net