Kangaroo Island Fossil Beds — Talk and Tour
Answering major evolutionary questions
Date: Fri 21st Sep 2018 1:00pm - 23rd Sep 2018 5:00pm
Location: Kangaroo Island, South Australia
Contact: Wendy DiMonte firstname.lastname@example.org 0408 123 856
Presenter: Professor John Paterson, Earth Sciences, UNE
John Paterson is a palaeontologist who has been researching the world-renowned Emu Bay Shale Konservat-Lagerstätte on Kangaroo Island for the past decade with colleagues from the South Australian Museum. Emu Bay is a world famous fossil site with restricted access. Exciting discoveries have been made of soft-bodied fossils dating back over 500 million years. John will deliver an illustrated talk and a guided tour of the fossil beds.
Snapshot of the weekend
- Friday evening, September 21, a buffet dinner at the Acacia Apartments, Kingscote, where Prof Paterson will address our group
- A half day visit to the Emu Bay fossil beds on Saturday morning with our accompanying world experts (transport provided) BOOKED OUT
- Prices for the Acacia Apartments (our preferred option) will become available shortly, but members are at liberty to organise their own accommodation
- Bus transportation will be available for airport transfers, the Emu Bay field trip and local sightseeing (Prices will follow)
- Chartered flight option to Kangaroo Island – numbers are limited, but for a full plane (19 passengers), the cost will be $256pp return.
- Chartered flight will leave late on Friday afternoon, and return late on Sunday afternoon
- Bob and Jennie are putting together an optional sightseeing program for Sunday, highlighting some of KI’s best icons to be savoured
- Greater detail will come to light closer to the date, but expressions of interest are called for now, particularly for the chartered flight option
We are sure you’ll agree that this is an exciting combined venture with the UNE and our SA Alumni Chapter. We already have 7 confirmed bookings, so please move quickly to secure your place.
- All expressions of interest to our Treasurer, Bruce Dommenz via email on email@example.com by 4 May, 2018
- Please make clear to Bruce your intent to participate in the KI activities only, or your wish to join the chartered flight (money to secure this option will be called for in due course)
- If you wish to attend and you are holding a current full bus licence, we would also love to hear from you!
- Any further queries, please direct to Bob and Jennie Teasdale on firstname.lastname@example.org or to Wendy DiMonte on email@example.com