Armidale, positioned roughly half-way between Sydney and Brisbane, is ideally placed between the metropolitan capitals. With an easy-going and unpolluted lifestyle, it is also the ideal place to live while you study or work.
By road it is:
- 535km north of Sydney on the New England Highway
- 466km south of Brisbane on the New England Highway
- 191km west of Coffs Harbour on the Waterfall Way
- 256km North West of Port Macquarie via the Oxley Highway
Armidale is halfway between Sydney and Brisbane and just a couple of hours from the NSW North Coast. There are lots of ways to get here, including:
Armidale is on the New England Highway, which is the excellent inland route between Sydney and Brisbane. Driving time from Sydney or Brisbane is around 5.5 hours and less than 3 hours from the coast. If you're coming from the coast, enjoy one of Australia's best drives across the Waterfall Way.
You can also hire a car once you're in Armidale:
* Hertz C/- the Airport 02 6772 0620
* Avis C/- the Airport 02 6772 6216
* Budget C/- Precision Motors 101-107 Barney St 02 6772 5866
* Thrifty Cnr Barney & Ohio St, Armidale 02 6772 4551
* Realistic 147 Rusden St, Armidale 02 6772 8078
QANTAS has several flights to and from Armidale each day. Budget for around $200 return from Sydney and $350 return from Brisbane, depending on availability and how early you book.
Countrylink provides 40% discounts on rail travel to Armidale if you can show an International Student Card. You can arrange one through UNE's Student Association. With a discount, expect to pay around $100 return from Sydney.
Finding the University
The main campus of the University of New England is in the upper left of the map of Armidale. The much smaller Newling Campus housing Music and the New England Conservatorium of Music (NECOM) is below the centre of the map in C3 and C4.