About us | School of Humanities
The School of Humanities at UNE offers the opportunity to explore, investigate, and critically analyse a range of aspects of both the ancient and modern world.
Whether you plan to study with us, or simply visit us as an interested observer, we invite you to join us on a journey to explore humanity — our history, philosophies, and politics.
The Roman poet Terence, over 2,000 years ago, wrote: 'there is nothing relating to mankind that does not concern me.' Similarly many hundreds of years later the English poet Alexander Pope was to comment: 'the proper study of mankind is Man.'
The School of Humanities is committed to delivering an outstanding on-campus and online experience to students of all educational levels and backgrounds, and maintaining and enhancing its internationally recognised excellence in research and publications, while fostering a positive learning and teaching environment for all students and staff.
The School of Humanities Strategic Plan supports the UNE Strategic Plan, 'Learning Without Limits', which identifies five strategic priorities:
- To distinguish ourselves by the quality of our on‐campus experience
- To lead the nation in the innovative use of educational technology for distance education
- To achieve international distinction in all our specialist fields of research
- To set the standard for social inclusiveness and access for all to higher education
- To foster business processes that maximise efficiency, promote a service culture and meet the needs of students and staff.