Sociology Research and Resources
Sociology Supervision and Research
If you are a prospective Honours, MA or PhD student looking for a supervisor, you can find out about the research interest of faculty on their personal websites:
The Discipline is able to offer Honours, MA and PhD supervision in the following areas:
- Education Sociology (gender, higher education policy, funding) (please contact Dr Genine Hook. Email: email@example.com)
- Gender & Sexuality (please contact Dr Duane Duncan. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Health Sociology (please contact Dr Cary Bennett Email: email@example.com)
- Media and popular culture (please contact Dr Jo Coghlan. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Development and Globalisation (please contact Dr Cary Bennett. Email:email@example.com)
- Political and Organisational Sociology (please contact Prof. Alan Scott. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Research Methodology (please contact Dr Duane Duncan. Email: email@example.com. Or Dr Genine Hook. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Social and Public Policy (please contact Dr Jo Coghlan Email: email@example.com)
- Social Theory (please contact Prof. Alan Scott. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
For prospective PhD student’s we may also be able to draw on the expertise of our adjunct faculty members:
Emeritus Professor Michael Bittman
Associate Professor Gail Hawkes
Associate Professor Habib Zafarullah
Recent and current research projects
Dr Cary Bennett: Drug policy and the governance of addiction
- Bennett, C. (2014) 'School-based Drug Education: the shaping of subjectivities', History of Education Review, 43 (1): 95-115.
Dr Duane Duncan: Muscling up: sexualisation, body modification and Australian men (ARCDiscovery Grant with Gary Dowsett and Steven Angelides)
- Duncan, D., Prestage, G., & Grierson, J. (2015) 'I'd much rather have sexual intimacy as opposed to sex': young Australian gay men, sex relationships and monogamy, Sexualities 18(7): 798-816.
Dr Jo Coghlan: Media, political symbolism and popular culture
- Coghlan, J. (2016) ‘Conceptualising (re)worked narratives of the American family: from the American dream to American decay in ‘new’ television’. The Australasian Journal of Popular Culture, 5(1): 33-48.
Dr Genine Hook: Sole parenting among higher education students
- Hook, G., (2016), Sole parent students and Higher Education: Gender, Policy and Widening Participation. Palgrave Macmillan: London. Details here.
Prof. Alan Scott: Recent transformations in organisational and state governance:
- Palumbo, A. and Scott, A. (2018) Remaking Market Society. London: Routledge. Details here.
The UNE Sociology discipline holds regular research seminars open to the public. Presenters include members of our own academic staff as well as guest speakers from other institutions. Abstracts and recordings of past seminars are available.
Expand the tab below for useful Sociology links:
Sociology Useful Links
This page provides you with links to the sites of sociological associations, major publishers, sources of data, on-line sociology journals, and on-line bookstores.
The mention of these sites in no way indicates that they are endorsed by the Discipline of Sociology, the School of Social Science or the University of New England.
- American Sociological Association
- Sociological Association of Aotearoa [New Zealand]
- Asia Pacific Sociological Association
- Australian Sociological Association
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Criminology
- British Sociological Association
- International Sociological Association
- Rural Sociological Association