Linguistics Courses and Units

Linguistics can be studied as a part of a range of degrees at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.

All our study programs are offered at full-time or part-time study load. With the exception of Master of Applied Linguistics, which is a fully online course, all our study programs are available both on-campus and online.

Areas of study in Linguistics include:

  • How and why languages and dialects differ, and what they have in common
  • How language is acquired
  • The indigenous languages of Australia and Asia
  • How bilinguals use languages
  • Methods for describing the sounds, words and grammar of English and other languages
  • How language relates to society and culture
  • How language is used in the legal system
  • Language policy

Below is a list of all our degrees. See relevant submenus for more information on the different options for undergraduate and masters degrees.

Linguistics Courses
Linguistics Undergraduate Degrees

Bachelor of Arts (BA)

The Bachelor of Arts provides students with creative, critical and analytical skills ideal for lifelong learning. This is a flexible degree in which students can incorporate a wide range of subjects. Students have a wider range of subject choices in the BA than in more specialised degrees. This flexibility is advantageous for career options. This degree provides students with the opportunity to major in Linguistics.

To major in Linguistics within the Bachelor of Arts, the following study program outlines the list of units. A full description of Linguistics units is available here.

Bachelor of Social Science (BSOCSC)

The Bachelor of Social Science provides a core background in Psychology, Sociology, and in skills directly related to research and the workplace. This degree allows for further specialisation in a range of social science areas from across the university, such as linguistics. Graduates in this degree acquire skills that make them well placed for careers in a wide range of public and private sector organisations, including roles as policy advisors, planning and research officers for state/federal government, market and social researchers, personnel officers and human resource management.

To major in Linguistics within the Bachelor of Social Sciences, the study program outlines the list of units. A full description of Linguistics units is available here.

 Bachelor of Arts with Honours (BA Hons)

BA with Honours in Linguistics allows qualified students (see Further Information) to take their studies to a higher level in a specific area of linguistics. Students who obtain a good grade in Honours are equipped to continue to a higher research degree in Linguistics.

The honours degree program is comprised of two units:

Coursework unit (401H) 24 credit points

Dissertation unit (402H) 24 credit points

The coursework unit involves four integrated components of course work, which together give an overview of the discipline, and cover theoretical and methodological aspects related to the student's chosen area of specialisation for their dissertation. The area of specialisation is chosen in consultation with the discipline in relation to the expertise of available staff (see Research page).
The dissertation unit provides research training through preparation (under guidance of a supervisor) of a substantial dissertation (15 000 words) on a topic of special interest. The topic of the dissertation is worked out with the supervisor with regard to the expertise of available staff (see Research page).

The Honours program offers a pathway to postgraduate research such as Masters or PhD, and is well respected in the job market.

Linguistics Master Degrees

Master degrees in Applied Linguistics/TESOL

Explore language, language acquisition and intercultural communication at a time and place that suits you. UNE's Master of Applied Linguistics (MAAL) degree is a fully online, professional postgraduate degree. The MAAL was the first online degree of its kind in Australia, and one of the first in the world, and the UNE Linguistics department has close to two decades of experience in offering high-quality interactive postgraduate courses using the latest multimedia technology.

With no Australian residency requirement you will be part of a global classroom, interacting with classmates from all over the world. Online discussion forums are used extensively to foster regular talk between you and your lecturers, and with your fellow students.

The MAAL degree is highly sought-after for professionals in fields as diverse as education, language teaching and planning, TESOL, government, health and the law. With no previous linguistics study required, the MAAL degree can provide a professionally relevant higher qualification, as well as a pathway to a postgraduate career in Applied Linguistics and TESOL. The degree is also relevant to those working with linguistic and cultural minorities.

Students can choose to begin study in Trimester 1, Trimester 2 and Trimester 3 of each year. View MAAL student testimonials.

Master of Applied Linguistics: MAAL

The MAAL is a professional degree of 72, 60 or 48 credit point (cp) (depending on previous linguistics training and relevant work experience) which offers a comprehensive grounding in applied linguistics with core units and a wide range of electives.

Master of Applied Linguistics with TESOL major: MAAL (TESOL)

The MAAL (TESOL) is a badged major within the MAAL and offers two specialist TESOL units. It meets the requirement of "a postgraduate qualification that includes a practicum" which is needed to teach in the adult ESL and EFL sectors in Australia. Students in this degree may be eligible to apply for Student Income Support from the Australian Government.

Frequently Asked Questions About the Master of Applied Linguistics

Choose a category that best fits your question, or browse the categories to get a general overview:

1. About the University of New England

1.1 Where is the University of New England?

The University of New England is located mid-way between Sydney and Brisbane on the New England Highway in New South Wales, Australia. It is about 2 hours drive inland from the coast.

1.2 What is the University of New England?

The University of New England (UNE) was established in Armidale, Australia in 1954, but its history goes back to 1938 when it was founded as a College of the University of Sydney. It is the second oldest university in New South Wales. Its Faculty of Arts and Sciences incorporates the Schools of Science and Technology, Arts, Humanities, BCSS (Behavioural, Cognitive and Social Sciences), and ERS (Environmental and Rural Science). The Faculty of The Professions incorporates the Schools of Health, Rural Medicine, Education, Law, and BEPP (Business, Economics and Public Policy). 

In addition to being the first Australian university established outside a capital city, UNE was also one of the first universities in Australia to focus on distance education. Today, UNE holds a well-earned reputation as one of Australia's great teaching, training, and research universities, with graduates across Australia and around the world.

The University of New England enjoys an excellent reputation, and consistently rates at the top of Australian universities in The Good Universities Guide for staff qualifications and graduate satisfaction.

You can learn more about our university at About UNE.

1.3 Where can I find out more information about the University of New England?

For more information on the University of New England, please visit the UNE homepage.

For information on online programs at UNE and current unit offerings, browse the Course and Unit Catalogue.

1.4 Is UNE recognised around the world?

Australian Universities are all (except for the Australian National University) formed originally through Acts of State Parliament. They are formally self-accrediting institutions, which means they design and 'accredit' or approve their own courses leading to the different types of awards such as a bachelor's degree or a master's degree. They are funded by the Federal Australian Government and are very tightly regulated by them through the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR). UNE meets all the standards and requirements of DEEWR, and it enjoys an excellent reputation in Australia and overseas.

1.5 Unit?, degree?, trimester? Is there a glossary of terms that your university uses?

Confusing, isn't it! A UNE glossary is available for students but here are some of the main terms you will need to know:

unit: At UNE a unit is worth 6 credit points and is considered to be 150 hrs work. A full time load would be 4 units in each trimester, or 8 units in a whole year. Each unit has a code and a name (eg. LING550 The Design of Language). A UNE unit corresponds to what is often called a 'course' in Northern America.

degree: At UNE a degree is an entire program that you will complete and graduate from, such as a Bachelors degree, or a Masters degree, or a PhD degree. For example, the Master of Applied Linguistics is a degree worth 48 credit points, so you must complete 8 units to fulfill the requirements of the degree. We use 'degree', but the terms 'course' and 'award' amount to the same thing.

major: A 'major' (or badged major) is a specified combination of units within a discipline or area of study. The name of the major appears on your testamur. TESOL is a major within the MAAL degree and MAAL (Hons) degree.

trimester: At UNE the year is divided into three teaching periods (February–June, June–October, October-February). These are known as '1st trimester', '2nd trimester' and '3rd trimester' respectively.

subject: At UNE a subject refers to a general area of study, such as Linguistics or Philosophy.

school: Academic staff teaching particular subjects are grouped into Schools. For example, Linguistics belongs to the School of Behavioural, Cognitive and Social Sciences.

faculty: Schools are grouped into Faculties. For example, the School of Behavioural, Cognitive and Social Sciences belongs in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. There are two Faculties at UNE. The term 'faculty' refers to teaching staff in some parts of the world – but in Australia we don't use the term this way, referring instead to 'academic staff', 'academics' or 'lecturers'.

2. About the Master of Applied Linguistics and Master of Applied Linguistics (TESOL) degrees

2.1 What does the MAAL prepare students for?

The Master of Applied Linguistics is a popular degree at many universities in Australia and other countries for professionals in fields such as education, language education and planning, government, and the health and legal professions. The MAAL will appeal both to those who do not have a background in Linguistics, but who wish to obtain a professionally relevant higher qualification, as well as to those considering post-graduate careers in the growing fields of Applied Linguistics and TESOL. This degree may also be of interest to those working with linguistic or cultural minorities.

The Master of Applied Linguistics (TESOL) provides a major within the degree which is of relevance to those who are teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language to adults, either in Australia or overseas, or to those who wish to enter the TESOL profession. Please note that the MAAL (TESOL) does not in itself qualify students to teach in schools in Australia. If you wish to teach ESL in Australian schools we recommend you visit the UNE School of Education website.

2.2 What do the MAAL and MAAL (TESOL) involve?

The MAAL and (the major) MAAL (TESOL) both consist of 72, 60 and 48 credit points of 400 and 500-level coursework, drawn from core, prescribed and elective units. For a complete list of available core, prescribed and elective units, see Courses and Units Catalogue. All units are 6 credit points.

2.3 What are the requirements for entrance?

The basic requirement for entrance is an undergraduate degree, such as a Bachelors degree, from a university recognised by UNE. International students will also need evidence of language proficiency (please see FAQ 2.5 below).

2.4 Do I need a linguistics background?

No, you do not necessarily need a linguistics background. The structure of introductory units, followed by advanced units, assumes no real background in the discipline area. There are four different admission rules that take into account background in relevant and non-relevant disciplinary areas.

2.5 I am not a native speaker of English. Can I apply?

Yes, you can. However you have to show evidence of English proficiency and must meet the University's English Language requirements. Information on current requirements is available here.

2.6 Do I have to be Australian?

No, we welcome applicants from all around the world. However please note that international students do pay different fees. For more information on fees, see Student Fees.

2.7 Can I exit the MAAL mid-way and still obtain a qualification?

Yes. Subject to meeting Advanced Standing rules, candidates may be eligible to exit with the Graduate Certificate in Applied Linguistics on completion of 24 credit points or the Graduate Diploma in Applied Linguistics on completion of 48 credit points the Schedule of Core and Listed units at 400/500-level. Candidates who apply to discontinue their studies must apply for readmission and will be subject to the current course requirements of the Master of Applied Linguistics. This may mean that they will not receive full recognition for their previous studies should the course structure have changed in response to University requirements.

3. Applying, Enrolling and Transferring

Applying to the University is your first step towards admission to a degree. You need to apply to do the MAAL or MAAL (TESOL) major at this point. It is important to realise that these are two separate degrees (or courses). Once you have been accepted and offered admission, you will be sent an official letter of offer with information to assist you in your second step, which is enrolling in the units you are interested in studying. A special course code for the MAAL (TESOL) Major: MAALTL, has been created for students who think they might qualify for Youth Allowance or Austudy. Students should select this code if they are thinking of applying for Student Income Support.)

3.1 How do I apply?

You need to complete the online application form.

See information on the Admissions process and the relevant documentation required at the time of application for International Students and Domestic Students.

If you have any further questions please refer to AskUNE.

3.2 The registration form refers to an "exam centre code" – what's that?

There are no formal exams in our Master of Applied Linguistics. This code is irrelevant to us, so just leave this blank or write n/a.

3.3 When is the deadline for applications?

Applications can be submitted at any time. However in order to have completed the registration and enrolment process in time for a particular trimester, deadlines apply please see Admissions Dates.

The UNE Student Centre will still try and process late applications – so it might be worth trying if you've just missed out, but we can make no promises.

3.4 How do I enrol in MAAL units?

A useful resource when planning your degree is our Course and Unit Catalogue which includes comprehensive information about our courses. You will find information about compulsory and elective units and suggested course plans. You will also find this catalogue helpful if you are unsure whether you have enrolled in the correct units for your course.

Note that this page has two tabs: Course Information and Course Rules and Plans. (To view the Course Rules and Plans relevant to you, select the year you started your course from the top right hand corner.)

Also here you will find a Program of Study that outlines which units you can study as part of your degree under the respective admission rules. It contains a list of both core units (units you must complete as part of your degree) and elective units (which you complete to fulfil a certain credit point value).

View the Program of Study for the MAAL and MAAL (TESOL).

3.5 What's the difference between changing courses and transferring to new course rules?

Changing courses is when you want to change from one degree to another. To do this you need to apply for entry into the new course and apply for advanced standing for the units you have already completed in the old course. You would have to do this if you wanted to change from the MAAL degree to the MAAL (TESOL) degree (and vice versa) for example.

In order to transfer to another UNE course you must apply for admission to the new course, and then if/when you have been admitted, you should delete any enrolled units from your old course and enrol in units in your new course. You also need to apply for advanced standing for units completed in the old course.

Transferring to new course rules: In most cases you will be able to complete your course under the rules you commenced in, subject to completing your course within the permitted time frame. However, as we have introduced the new TESOL major and changed the course name for 2011 from the Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics to the Master of Applied Linguistics for both the MAAL and the MAAL (TESOL), you may wish to transfer to the new course rules.

  • If you wish to change from your current course rules to the latest course rules, you will need to complete and submit a Move to Latest Course Rules form found at AskUNE to facilitate this change. Once you have submitted this form you can complete your online enrolment. Please be sure to monitor your UNE e-mail account in case the University needs to contact you regarding your choice. Note that if you are a Domestic Full Fee paying student, transferring to the new rules may also mean a transfer to a higher fee structure.
  • To transfer course rules to do the MAAL (TESOL) Major, you will have to transfer to the latest course rules for the MAAL and nominate the major. You will need to complete EDLI502 and EDLI504 along with your core units and elective units. If you think you might qualify for Youth Allowance or Austudy you must specify that you want to transfer to the MAAL (TESOL) course code as well.
4. The Structure of the MAAL and MAAL (TESOL) Degrees

4.1 Unit?, degree?, trimester? Is there a glossary of terms that your university uses?

Yes; view UNE's glossary of terms.

4.2 How many credit points and units do I need to complete?

The MAAL and the MAAL (TESOL) major both require completion of 72, 60 or 48 credit points to satisfy the requirement of the degree.

4.3 What units are available?

There are core units for the MAAL and MAAL (TESOL). Each unit is worth 6 credit points except for LING599, which is worth 24 credit points. For further information on each unit and when they are on offer see Units in Linguistics.

4.4 Which MAAL units are compulsory, and which elective?

Please see the Courses and Units catalogue: Study Program

Ideally, you would complete the core units before you enrol in the elective units. This is possible if you are studying part-time, but not if you are studying full time. For this reason we have made most core units as co-requisites to the elective units – so you can take them at the same time.

4.5 Is the MAAL best done full-time or part-time?

In Australia normally 4 units (24 credit points) per trimester is a full-time load, and 2 units per trimester (12 credit points) is a half-time load. If you are fitting your Masters studies around work commitments, and want maximum choice of units, then we recommend that you do the MAAL part-time. If you want to take it full-time, that is quite possible, but you'll have less choice available to you. It is not possible to take more than 4 units in any single trimester. Please note that it is only possible to complete the MAAL (TESOL) full-time if you begin study at the beginning of the academic year in February, since you need to take EDLI502 before EDLI504.

4.6 Can I take any units I want?

There are some constraints. Unless you have an exemption, you must complete all core units. For the MAAL (TESOL) you must also take the two prescribed units. For advanced language units, you need the permission of the MAAL Coordinator. Beyond that, you can choose whichever electives from the Listed Units you like.

4.7 What is the grading system?

Final grades for units are as follows:

High Distinction (HD) 85% – 100%
Distinction (D) 75% – 84%
Credit (C) 65% – 74%
Pass (P) 50% – 64%
Fail (F) 49% or less
NI – Fail incomplete (if you do not submit all obligatory assignments)

5. Research in the MAAL Degree

5.1 The MAAL is a coursework Masters degree, but is it possible to do a research project?

The MAAL is a coursework Masters degree with a 6-credit point research unit. However, if you have established an excellent track record in the coursework units and have a well-developed research proposal in mind, then you can apply to the MAAL Coordinator for permission to enrol in LING599 (previously LING600), which is a 24 credit point Dissertation unit in which you plan and carry out a research project under the guidance of a supervisor.

5.2 Is there a required thesis?

Not in the MAAL and MAAL (TESOL) major as it is a coursework degree. You will almost certainly write essays as part of your assessment, but there is no required thesis.

5.3 Which degree will allow me to pursue PhD research?

We have designed the unit LING599 specifically for those students who may want to apply for PhD programs either at UNE or another university. Most PhD programs (including UNE's) require either a BA (Hons) degree OR a Master's degree with a minimum 25% research component. The dissertation is normally approximately 15,000 words. No program will guarantee entry to a PhD, of course, since candidates are assessed on the strength of their research proposal and the availability of suitable supervision as well as on their academic record. Generally the dissertation for LING599 provides an excellent preparation for a PhD application, but if you have a specific university in mind, it is advisable to check what their requirements are for potential PhD candidates.

5.4 How do I enrol in LING599?

If you have plans to do further (higher degree) studies down the track, then you should choose LING599 as one of your elective units.

You need to have a proposed project in mind during the trimester before you plan to enrol in LING599 and you will need to lodge a Thesis Proposal Form with the MAAL Coordinator by April 30 (if commencing LING599 in Trimester 2), September 30 for commencement in Trimester 3 or November 30 (if commencing LING599 in Trimester 1). If your Thesis Proposal is approved you will be able to enrol in LING599.

Ideas for a research project may develop out of one of the units you study during the MAAL, or out of a problem or question that arises in your workplace, in your family or in the society in which you live. It is worth noting that projects that fall within the research interests of one of our staff members may have some advantage in the selection process.

Once you have a carefully thought out an idea, express it in writing as clearly as you can and then either:

  • email the staff member who you think might be the most appropriate to supervise the project, or
  • if you are not sure who to send it to, send it to the MAAL Coordinator who will be able to forward it to the most appropriate staff member.

Looking for a supervisor? Find out about our linguistics staff and their areas of interest

The staff member will be able to advise on whether the project looks feasible, and either give you some guidance on how to develop it into a research proposal, or will suggest a more suitable approach.

All proposals will be considered once the closing date has passed, and you will be advised whether yours has been accepted, based on the strength of the proposal and the availability of staff to supervise.

Once your proposal has been accepted, you will then be able to enrol. Don't attempt to enrol before you've received approval to go ahead. After that you develop the project under the guidance of your allocated supervisor, who will advise you how to apply for clearance from the Human Research Ethics Committee if applicable.

Although it is possible to complete LING599 in a single trimester, in practice research usually involves unforeseen delays, with the Ethics application, the fieldwork or the writing of the dissertation, so we recommend that you aim to take it over two trimesters where possible.

More information about LING599 is available in our Courses and Unit Catalogue.

Please note that prior to 2015 LING599 was coded as LING600.

6. Residency Requirements

6.1 Are there any residential requirements?

No, there are no residential requirements. Currently most of our students are in Australia, China, Japan, Korea, the USA and the Middle East. Over 8 units you will get to know many people surprisingly well, but there is no requirement that you come to UNE.

6.2 Can I do the degree from home?

Yes, since it is wholly online you can study from any place where you can rely on good computer access. Some of our students manage to complete MAAL units whilst moving between short-term teaching contracts in different countries.

6.3 Can I come to Armidale?

Since the degree is wholly online, there is no need to come to UNE in Armidale. However, if you are able to, then we would love to meet you! Overseas students would need to apply for student visas if they wish to enter Australia to study, and all visitors to Australia require travel visas to enter Australia. You should also be aware that there are no face-to-face classes for MAAL units, though we do all teach other units on a face-to-face basis.

7. Costs and Payment of Fees

7.1 How do I pay for the units?

Instructions for payments will be found in your admissions offer letter. The MAAL is payable through HECS (the Higher Education Contribution Scheme) for Australian citizens and permanent residents.

Commencing international (i.e. those who are not Australian Citizens or permanent residents) make payments directly to the UNE International. Contact details:

Continuing international students will receive an invoice which will be downloadable from their myUNE student portal.

7.2 Is it HECS liable?

Yes, you can pay for the MAAL through HECS if you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia.

7.3 If I'm an Australian citizen overseas, do I still qualify for HECS?

Yes, MAAL students qualify for HECS (the Higher Education Contribution Scheme) if they are Australian citizens or permanent residents who happen to be living overseas at the time.

7.4 What are the total fees for the degree?

Please see Student Fees , for the most current fees information.

You can get up-to-date information about exchange rates from Australian dollars into the currency of your choice here.

7.5 Can I pay per unit per trimester?

Yes, in fact, you only need to pay for the units in which you are enrolled in any given trimester.

7.6 Can I get Student Income Support for studying the MAAL?

Yes, you can apply for Student Income Support (such as Youth Allowance or Austudy) if you apply for the MAAL (TESOL) Major. You should be an Australian Citizen and plan to study full time in most instances. (For Youth Allowance/Austudy purposes being enrolled in 6 units per year (but no more than 4 units per trimester) is considered full time. Please check with Centrelink for full details on eligibility).

To qualify for Youth Allowance or Austudy you must choose the MAAL (TESOL) option in your Online Application. A separate Course Code: MAALTL has been created specifically for this purpose. If you are currently enrolled in the MAAL and are considering doing the MAAL (TESOL) Major, and you think you would qualify for Youth Allowance or Austudy, then you will need to transfer to the latest rules of the MAAL Degree and specify that you want to transfer to the MAALTL Course Code. Note that if you are a Domestic Full Fee paying student, transferring to the new rules may also mean a transfer to a higher fee structure. More information on transferring is available in FAQ 15.5.

The 2007-08 Australian government budget extended eligibility for Student Income Support (such as Youth Allowance and Austudy) to students undertaking certain professionally oriented coursework masters degrees. Courses were assessed on the basis that they are required for professional entry, are the only professional-entry courses offered by a university following restructure, or provide the fastest pathway to professional entry. The MAAL (TESOL) has been assessed as meeting these requirements. This means that eligible MAAL (TESOL) students may apply for Youth Allowance or Austudy beyond a Bachelor level degree and across their MAAL (TESOL) degree. (Individual circumstances may affect eligibility). If you think this might benefit you, and you would like more information, please contact Centrelink on 13 2490.

7.7 Are there scholarships available?

There are scholarships and other financial aid options offered at UNE, but there are no scholarships targeted at MAAL students in particular. You can find more information on existing scholarship schemes at Scholarships.

8. Graduation and Transcripts

8.1 Can I participate in graduation ceremonies?

Yes, you can. UNE holds graduation ceremonies each April and October. They are held outdoors (weather permitting) in the grounds of Booloominbah (a stately old homestead at the heart of the university) and are very festive and grand occasions. Once you have completed the degree requirements, you apply to graduate. If you cannot attend in person, you still graduate and receive your testamur through the post. If you can attend, the MAAL staff will be very happy to meet with you, take part in the ceremony, and take photos afterwards.

8.2 Once I've completed, can I get a copy of my transcript straight away?

Yes. You might, for example, complete your degree requirements in July, and have to wait until October for the graduation ceremony. If you require documentation in the meantime, say for a job application, then you can request an academic transcript that states that you have completed the degree requirements.

8.3 Will any reference to the fact this degree is delivered "online" appear on my transcripts or award?

Occasionally we get asked this by students who are concerned that 'online' makes a degree sound less prestigious. We don't share this view, and we don't believe that the quality of our degree is at all lowered by the delivery mode. But no, since online is simply the delivery method for the degree, the word 'online' does not appear on the official transcript.

9. Resources and Technology

9.1 Do I need to purchase textbooks or other materials?

All units require that you access reading materials. Some units have textbooks, others have a selection of journal articles or book chapters. Some have both. For most units you will be required to buy a textbook. In many units you will be able to download additional readings in the form of pdf files from either the unit homepage, or the UNE Library.

9.2 What academic support is provided?

Each unit has an academic staff member as coordinator to provide academic support. The unit homepage has tools which make interaction with your coordinator easy, and you can expect a quick response to any questions that you have. We have course Co-ordinators who field any questions about the degree generally, and troubleshoots any problems you might encounter. We also have a common MAAL Portal to which all students have access.

9.3 What computer/IT support is provided?

There is student help available via the Moodle online learning system, and the IT Service Desk provides computer support to all enrolled UNE students: Email:; Tel: +61 (2) 6773 5000 or toll-free 1800 763 040.

9.4 How do I access online resources?

Once you are enrolled, you'll get a UNE student username and password and be able to access your units via MyUNE. From the MyUnits page within MyUNE, you can visit the UNE Library homepage. There you will find directions for searching numerous online databases, and be able to access readings specifically listed for your units.

9.5 Can I access the library?

Yes, visit the UNE Library homepage – select "External Student" or "e-resources" or "e-skills" and follow the directions. Alternatively, you can access the UNE Library from within MyUNE.

9.6 Do I need a printer?

Not officially. However most students find access to a printer to be very useful. Many readings are available online as pdf files. In our experience most people prefer to read from paper than a computer screen, so you will find it useful to have the ability to print course notes and readings.

10. Credit for Previous Study/Experience

10.1 Can I get advanced standing/exemptions?

Advanced standing refers to credit granted for work already completed. Candidates may be granted advanced standing to a maximum of 24 credit points on the basis of units passed either at UNE or elsewhere provided that: a) those units have reasonable correspondence to MAAL units; and b) those units have not been counted towards the same degree which qualifies you for MAAL admission.

Exemptions refer to units which you may not take because you have already done similar coursework elsewhere. If you receive exemptions, you will still have to complete 48 credit points worth of work to complete the Master of Applied Linguistics.

For the Master of Applied Linguistics with Honours candidates who have completed the Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics or the Master of Applied Linguistics from the University of New England or equivalent qualification from a recognised university shall be awarded advanced standing for a maximum of 48 credit points.

There is no advanced standing available for LING599 (previously LING600).

If you feel you are eligible for either advanced standing or an exemption, you will be asked to provide (1) evidence of having completed the relevant material (e.g. an academic transcript), and (2) unit outlines explaining what was covered in the units that you did. Normally such requests should be made when applying to enrol in the program.

10.2 Can I get credit within the MAAL for any units from other Schools or institutions?

Yes, it is possible to study up to 12 credit points worth of units with other Schools or institutions. However, you would need to get permission from both the Head of the School of Behavioural, Cognitive and Social Sciences and the relevant permission from the other institution or School.

10.3 I have completed a Grad Diploma, am I eligible for advanced standing?

It depends. Many Graduate Diplomas are called 'postgraduate degrees' but actually have you do undergraduate units. You might be able to get advanced standing for units taken as part of a Grad Dip, if you can prove that those units are genuinely postgraduate level units. For further information please see Advance Standing.

10.4. What constitutes relevant work experience and what kind of evidence is acceptable?

Relevant work experience can be counted towards Block Advanced Standing when being admitted into the MAAL degree. Examples of relevant work experience include, but are not limited to the following: teaching in international English language school, teaching languages at primary, high school and tertiary levels, translation and interpretation work, working as a researcher/research assistant, service provider or case officer in an area related to language, linguistics and cross-cultural communication. Evidence of relevant work experience can be in form of information that you provide in your CV and also what you include in the 500-word statement that you will be required to provide with your application for admission. Your case will be made stronger if you can provide official certification of your work experience such as a letter from your employer or an organisation at which you did relevant voluntary work.

11. Study Load, Trimesters and Scheduling

11.1 How long does it take to finish?

The MAAL (or the MAAL (TESOL) major) may be completed in as little as 2 trimesters (1 year: 4 units in two trimesters), and a maximum of 8 trimesters (4 years: 1 unit in a trimester), depending on the rules under which you are admitted.

11.2 Is the MAAL best done full-time or part-time?

The MAAL is structured so that ideally you do the core units first, then the elective units. But this is only possible if you study part-time. If you are fitting your Masters studies around work commitments, and want maximum choice of units, then we recommend that you do the MAAL part-time. If you want to take it full time, we've made that possible by making the core units co-requisite (rather than pre-requisite) to the elective units – so it is possible to do them in the same trimester. The only real disadvantage of doing the MAAL full time (other than the heavy workload!) is that you'll have less choice of units available to you. It is not possible to take more than 4 units in any single trimester.

11.3 Can I switch from part-time to full-time or vice versa?

Yes, it is fine to switch, but you would have to contact the UNE Student Centre for details.

11.4 Can the program be stopped and started?

Yes it can. People's lives get complicated, and sometimes life events make it necessary to suspend your candidature. This can be arranged through the UNE Student Centre.

11.5 Are start dates flexible?

No they aren't. All MAAL units follow the UNE trimester system. You might be able to get advanced information about the textbook and readings – so you can get started early. Generally however you need to be able to commit to being available online for the trimester. For details on trimester start and finish dates, go to the UNE Principal Dates Calendar.

11.6 Are all units offered every trimester?

No. Unit availability varies by trimester. Core units and the two specialist TESOL units are offered each year, but most of the elective units are offered only every second year. Please check the Courses and Units Catalogue to see which units are offered in a given year.

11.7 What do I need to know about the new specialist TESOL units EDLI502 and EDLI504?

The two units EDLI502 and EDLI504 are being offered jointly by Linguistics and Education hence the EDLI label. The units will be on offer in Trimester 1 (EDLI502) and Trimester 2 (EDLI504) each year. They can be done in different years if you want to, with the proviso that EDLI502 must be completed before EDLI504, i.e. EDLI502 is a pre-requisite for EDLI504.

EDLI502 involves coursework which focuses on TESOL methodology and covers roughly two thirds of the textbook. EDLI504 involves half coursework further exploring TESOL methodology and covering the final third of the textbook. The other half of this unit is comprised of a 60-hour supervised practicum placement. For information on Teaching accreditation see FAQ 13.3.

11.8 Are there classes at scheduled times or do I study at my own rate?

There are no specific 'classes', i.e. there are no times when all students get online for some kind of live interaction. All communication is 'asynchronous' – each student accesses the unit, and reads or posts messages, at a time that suits them. Start and end dates are fixed, and there are strict deadlines for the submission of assessment tasks. However beyond these specifics, you have quite a lot of flexibility with regard to your personal study schedule.

11.9 Are the trimesters at UNE the same as where I am?

That depends on where you are. In Australia the seasons are the reverse of the northern hemisphere. That means that Christmas and New Year coincide with summer vacation, and July is in the middle of winter.

UNE has three trimesters: First Trimester (February-June), Second Trimester (June-October) and Third Trimester (October-February). For details on trimester start and finish dates, go to the UNE Principal Dates Calendar.

11.10 What if I can't finish the degree because of unforeseen circumstances?

If you complete 24 credit points you have the option of taking out a Graduate Certificate in Arts.

12. The Student Experience

12.1 What is the 'class' experience like?

In the first week you'll log on to a unit and you'll find yourself in a group of (maybe 50??) students. People post greetings and the class quickly settles into a routine. In each unit there are Information pages that explain what you need to do. You'll find explicit instructions about the topic structure, what you need to read for each topic, when each task is due, etc.

You'll find a Discussions board where you can ask questions, and read other people's questions and responses to them. You'll find that over the course of a trimester you'll get to know the different personalities in your class – it is amazing how much each person's personality comes through in their writing. There may be set postings that you are required to make. However you can generally choose your level of involvement – some people are highly verbose and love to post, and others choose a lower level of involvement – that's fine! You will develop skills in knowing what is worth reading and what can be skipped.

12.2 What can I expect from the Unit Coordinator?

The Unit Coordinator will have a serious level of engagement with the unit. Instructors normally respond within 48 hours on working days, often within 24 hours. In most units you'll find that there is a Graduate Tutor as well as the Unit Coordinator. Graduate Tutor are postgraduate students completing research degrees with us, who help in the units. This is good experience for them, and we think it's nice that you have input from more than one person.

12.3 What kind of assignments can I expect?

Assignments vary by unit. Some kinds of assignments include essays, linguistic problem sets, article reviews, web searches, online discussions, online quizzes, small research projects, etc. For each unit you can expect clear information about each assessment task and when it is due.

12.4 How many hours per week?

Each unit is meant to constitute 150 hours work over the entire trimester (including reading time, undertaking research, doing assessment tasks, contributing to discussions). Obviously some times in the trimester are busier than others, but as a rule of thumb, we'd recommend that each unit should take approximately 10 hours of your time per week. You will find you need to spend more time than this in the weeks in which you are preparing assignments.

12.5 Can I read a testimonial by a MAAL student?

Yes, we've pasted below an unsolicited email we received from a MAAL student who completed his degree in November 2005 (used with permission). There are some further short testimonials from former students which can be accessed from the MAAL homepage.

"Dear Nick and Liz, This is my final term in the MAAL so I thought now would be a good time to let you know what I thought. Every staff member has done a notable amount of work in creating the program, so I thought it was fair to tell you how it appears to a student. I'm sending this to both of you since you both seem to be monitoring the program. The program has been phenomenal in many ways. I started last June/July and was quite apprehensive – the usual questions burned: Is this going to be worth the money? Will there be personal contact with the instructors? Can you really do a Masters completely online? Is it credible? etc. My biggest concern was: will I be able to speak with others, both students and coordinators, and get answers to problems quickly? The program quickly proved itself, as I was openly welcomed and helped by students and coordinators in the first few weeks when the workload was quickly picking up – yet, it was still very flexible so satisfied one of the biggest bonuses of external studying – flexibility. I was enrolled in 451 and 453 (FYI Nick: great course, even if my grammar is still not perfect!...sorry about that :) An external degree, especially a Masters, is a bit daunting the first week or so, but you quickly become confident with the layout of UNE's online learning platform, and the course requirements – again, very important to people who are/were as nervous as myself.

On a more specific level and the main reason for writing this email, I would just like to mention that I was especially impressed with the internal consistency and support throughout the degree. I mean this in two ways:

  1. All of my general queries were handled quickly and professionally, making the actual learning part of the degree less stressful.
  2. As far as the actual courses went, I recently wrote an email to a staff member commenting on the consistency of my marks, which was superb. My marks were, quite surprisingly, all within 6 or 7 percent of my average – not that this is a necessity or something that makes a good program, but it does suggest to me that the level of difficulty and overall marking are quite consistent in the Linguistics department. I asked if this was something that the UNE staff strives for, since it is quite remarkable compared with my previous University coursework. As a result of the similar feedback throughout the program and overall consistency in course structure, I believe I was able to really see where my strengths and weaknesses are, and have gained the confidence to pursue further grad work. This is all more than I had expected, as I didn't really know what to expect when I began.

So, in short, it's been a really first-rate experience and I hope to meet the staff at some point. I'm in the middle of a contract right now so unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it to grad – I was really hoping to. Liz, I'm sorry that I never had the opportunity to take your classes, I've heard great things from the students I've talked to. Regards, Mark"

13. The MAAL Qualification

13.1 Is this a Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) degree?

The Master of Applied Linguistics or MAAL (which we have offered successfully for many years) is not a TESOL degree, although many TESOL teachers have taken it and found it enormously useful in their work.

However the major we offer, the MAAL (TESOL), as its name suggests, is a specialised degree for those wanting TESOL qualifications. It includes two TESOL units, EDLI502 and EDLI504. These units are taught in conjunction with our colleagues in the School of Education. These two units, plus the 4 units which are core to the MAAL, plus 2 electives (for example LING562, Second Language Acquisition or LING563 Bilingualism, Education and Society) add up to a comprehensive TESOL preparation.

We do emphasise, however, that the MAAL (TESOL) is aimed at people intending to teach at adult level. For example, in Australia you would be able to apply to teach in the Adult Migrant English Program, or in ELICOS (language centres which cater to international students learning English). In Australia you need an education degree to teach TESOL in the school system. However, this varies from country to country so you need to check the requirements of the country and the sector where you wish to work before enrolling.

13.2 Will this degree make me more employable?

It certainly should. A Master of Applied Linguistics may be helpful in finding employment in a number of areas including language centre management, materials writing, language planning, etc. It depends on your interests and the specific institutions. Many of our MAAL graduates are actively involved in ESL teaching, and many have found this degree directly beneficial to them in that job market

The Master of Applied Linguistics (TESOL) is a specialised TESOL major which will meet the requirements of educational authorities in many countries. However we suggest you enquire directly with organisations in the country where you wish to work, as we are not able to advise on the specific requirements of every country.

The MAAL (TESOL) provides a practicum in EDLI504 which is generally required by employers of ESL and EFL teachers in Australia.

13.3 Does it provide teaching accreditation?

The MAAL does not provide teaching accreditation in most countries. However, it may be accepted in many ESL or EFL situations as a qualification. Please check with your institution or accrediting agency.

The MAAL (TESOL) will usually be accepted by employers in Australia as a 'specialist qualification in TESOL which includes a practicum' for teaching ESL or EFL to adults or adolescents. For more information on teaching in Australia, please see the website of the National ELT Accreditation Scheme (NEAS)

Please note that the MAAL (TESOL) does not qualify you to teach ESL in primary or secondary schools in Australia. For that you normally need a 4-year teaching degree. Please enquire at UNE's School of Education for more information.

The MAAL (TESOL) will meet the requirements of many employers in countries outside Australia, but, again, you are advised to check carefully the requirements of employers in the country where you wish to work.

13.4 Is there a practical component to the degree?

In the MAAL there is no practicum. This degree does not focus on pedagogy, and there is no in-class placement program

The MAAL(TESOL) however does include a practicum, which is in the unit EDLI504. This provides supervised teaching practice, often in the student's own workplace.

13.5 Will the Master of Applied Linguistics allow me to pursue PhD research?

See FAQ Section 5.3.

14. MAAL Degree Language Units

14.1 Is it possible to study a language as part of the MAAL?

With the permission of the MAAL Coordinator, it is possible to include advanced language units in Chinese, French, German, Indonesian, Italian and Japanese. A maximum of 12 credit points of language units can be counted towards the MAAL. Note that it is not possible to take undergraduate level language units as part of this Masters degree. Please note also that it is not possible to take language units as part of the MAAL (TESOL).

14.2 Which advanced language units are available?

You can find a full listing of the available advanced level language units from the School of Arts.

14.3 Are language units offered online?

All the LING units (offered by Linguistics) within the MAAL are fully online. However, some language units may be offered by traditional modes of distance education only (paper, not online). Application for language units must be done through the specific language discipline. You need to satisfy their pre-requisites and get their permission, as well as the permission of the MAAL Coordinator. For more information about our award-winning language disciplines in Asian and European languages, please visit the School of Arts.

15. The Badged TESOL Major

15.1. Do I have to do the badged Major?

You can do the MAAL Degree without doing the badged Major. For the MAAL Degree, on your Academic record (transcript), you receive a "Master of Applied Linguistics".

15.2. What is a badged Major?

A badged Major is a term broadly used to describe how your degree is specialised in its title or in your academic record (transcript). For example, if you do the TESOL Major in the MAAL Degree you will receive a "Master of Applied Linguistics (TESOL)".

To receive the badged major you are required to undertake set units to meet the requirements for the specialisation.

The new MAAL (TESOL) Major has also been approved for Student Income Support as a professionally  oriented coursework Masters Degree by the Australian Government. This means that students who are Australian Citizens, and who are enrolled full time in the MAAL (TESOL), may be eligible to apply for Youth Allowance or Austudy. (For Youth Allowance/Austudy purposes being enrolled in 6 units per year is considered full time.)

15.3. How do I enrol in the badged major? Can I do the major without it appearing on my Testamur?

Students can nominate a major via the online enrolment process. Once they have nominated the major (and meet the requirements of the major) then it automatically appears on their testamur. If they choose not to nominate the major then it won't appear on the testamur even if they have met the requirements.

15.4. What will the MAAL (TESOL) Major prepare me for?

The Master of Applied Linguistics (TESOL) provides a major within the degree which is of relevance to those who are teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language to adults, either in Australia or overseas, or to those who wish to enter the TESOL profession.

We do emphasise, however, that the MAAL (TESOL) is aimed at people intending to teach at adult level. For example, in Australia you would be able to apply to teach in the Adult Migrant English Program, or in ELICOS (language centres which cater to international students learning English). In Australia you need an education degree to teach TESOL in the school system. However, this varies from country to country so you need to check the requirements of the country and the sector where you wish to work before enrolling.

If you wish to teach ESL in Australian schools we recommend you visit the UNE School of Education website.

15.5. If I enrolled before 2011 can I graduate with the badged Major?

Yes, but you will have to transfer to the 2011 Course Rules for the MAAL and nominate the major. You will need to complete EDLI502 and EDLI504 along with the core units and elective units. If you think you might qualify for Youth Allowance or Austudy you must specify that you want to transfer to the MAALTL Course Code as well.

If you wish to change from your current Course Rules to the 2011 Course Rules, you will need to complete and submit a Move to Latest Course Rules form found at Forms and Procedures to facilitate this change. Once you have submitted this form you can complete your online enrolment. Please be sure to monitor your UNE e-mail account in case the University needs to contact you regarding your choice. Note that if you are a Domestic Full Fee paying student, transferring to the new rules may also mean a transfer to a higher fee structure.

15.6. Can I do more than the required number of units in my MAAL degree so that I can include the TESOL Major?

No, students who have completed course requirements must graduate and are not permitted to defer graduation, therefore you must exit with the MAAL degree.

15.7. Can I substitute EDLI502 or EDLI504 for one of the core units in my MAAL degree so that I can graduate with the TESOL Major?

No, students must complete the core units to qualify for the MAAL degree.

15.8. Is there any way to add the TESOL qualification if I have completed or nearly completed my MAAL degree?

You may not be able to add the TESOL Major to your MAAL degree but the School of Education offers a Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies (TESOL) where the aim of the course is to provide a specialist professional qualification in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). You may be eligible to apply for Advanced Standing for units already completed in your MAAL degree and only need to complete EDLI502 and EDLI504 to complete the Graduate Certificate. The School of Education would determine eligibility for entry into this program and any applications for Advanced Standing.

15.9 Can I do EDLI502 and EDLI504 in the regular MAAL? Are they offered every year and can I do EDLI504 before EDLI502? Can I take EDLI502 on its own as an elective in my MAAL degree?

EDLI502 and EDLI504 are offered every year and can be done as electives within your regular MAAL degree. You must do EDLI502 before you do EDLI504. Yes, you can do EDLI502 on its own as an elective.

16. The Practicum – EDLI504

16.1 Practicum – Professional Experience – what do these mean?

The official name of EDLI504 is TESOL II, but it contains a 'Professional Experience' component which involves you teaching within a TESOL centre. That Professional Experience is managed and approved via UNE's Professional Experience Office, and there are very detailed guidelines on how it works in the Professional Experience Booklet which you will receive when you enrol in EDLI504. The word 'practicum' is simply a general term for this kind of Professional Experience, and may be used to refer to the whole unit, EDLI504, or just to the teaching placement.

16.2 Will EDLI 504 provide me with accreditation for the EFL/ESL centre I work in?

Since requirements vary widely between countries and between educational contexts (e.g. schools, universities, private providers), it is not possible for UNE to guarantee this. However we have structured the TESOL stream (EDLI502 and EDLI504) in such a way that graduates should meet the practicum requirements of Australia's accrediting body NEAS (National ELT Accreditation Scheme). NEAS accredits TESOL centres in Australia in both ELICOS (overseas student) and AMEP (migrant) teaching centres: it does not accredit individual teachers. However, because NEAS stipulates what qualifications teachers should have, any NEAS-accredited centre in which you apply to work will expect you to meet these conditions, as outlined on the following website:

As you'll see, the requirements for the ELICOS sector stipulate a practicum of 6 hours supervised and assessed teaching in TESOL, and those for the adult migrant sector stipulate 60 hours. Hence EDLI504 provides for both of these. However the onus is always on students to check that their existing and planned qualifications meet requirements in the sector where they wish to seek work.

16.3 What's involved in the practicum and how long does it take?

The whole unit, EDLI504, takes one trimester. The Professional Experience (practicum) component requires that you complete a 60 hour placement in a TESOL centre approved by UNE. This must be completed by 31st October. In most cases the placement will occur as a single block of 10 days, but this depends on the teaching schedule of the particular centre, and other arrangements can be negotiated with the lecturer. The practicum will involve your observing the class teacher, preparing and teaching some classes yourself, keeping a variety of records of both, and possibly undertaking other teaching-related tasks as well. There are very detailed guidelines for how to go about this in EDLI504's Professional Experience Booklet, along with the necessary forms you need to fill out.

16.4 Can I do the practicum where I live?

Many MAAL students live and work overseas, and some in Australia. The requirement for placement is that the centre and the supervisor are both approved by UNE. In many cases, a centre in a city or town where you live, or one nearby, will meet UNE's requirements. It is the task of the Professional Experience Office to make the decision as to whether a centre is approved for you to undertake your practicum. If there is no suitable centre where you live, then you will have to consider either travelling to another town where there is a suitable centre (in which case you need to factor in travel and accommodation costs), or, if feasible, applying to do your practicum at UNE's English Language Centre (ELC) in Armidale NSW. (NB such application must be done through the Professional Experience Office: on no account should you approach the ELC directly).

16.5 I think I know where I can do my practicum: how do I get it approved?

Once you are enrolled in EDLI504, your first task is to fill in Form 1: Information Sheet and submit it to the Professional Experience Office by 1st August. The Office will then contact your proposed centre and supervisor on your behalf.

16.6 I have no idea where I could do my practicum: can I still apply?

If you are in Australia, the Professional Experience Office will endeavour to find you a suitable placement. Indicate on Form 1 that you do not know of one yourself.

If you are not in Australia, you will need to locate a suitable centre yourself, or consider coming to UNE's English Language Centre (see 16.4).

16.7 Do supervisors have to sign an agreement with UNE?

Yes, once a centre and supervisor is approved by the Professional Experience Office, we send the supervisor an agreement to sign, full details of the requirements and the necessary forms for supervising the practicum.

16.8 Are there extra fees involved for the practicum?

No. EDLI504 attracts the usual HECS payment (Australian citizens) or full fee charge (international students) as does any MAAL unit.

There is a very small honorarium paid to supervisors in recognition of the valuable service they provide. The Professional Experience Office pays this.

However, you may have to consider whether you will incur travel and/or accommodation costs if you have to undertake the practicum away from your usual place of residence. Any such costs have to be met by the student.

16.9 Can I pick specific points of teaching to be the focus of my practicum supervision?

The content of your practicum teaching will always be a negotiation between you and your supervisor, based on the needs of the students you will be teaching, the nature of the curriculum and what your supervisor feels you need for your professional development.

16.10 Can I get Advanced Standing for a TESOL practicum done elsewhere?

The usual Advanced Standing rules apply to EDLI504. In other words, if you can show that you have completed a similar accredited university unit elsewhere, and we deem that it is comparable to EDLI504, you may be granted Advanced Standing.

PhD in Linguistics

The PhD program at UNE offers students a unique opportunity to join our vibrant team of linguists. Browse the linguistics research page and the individual staff pages to discover our supervision areas.

The degree typically lasts 3 years dedicated exclusively to research (no coursework requirements), at the end of which a thesis must be submitted for examination by experts in the chosen area.

The following link shows what students thought - PhD Testimonials

The Department

The Linguistics department at UNE is a cohesive group of academics that are passionate about their research and teaching fields.

The atmosphere in this small department is relaxed and friendly, which means you will have plenty of opportunity to communicate with your supervisors. In fact, running an idea by your supervisor is usually just a matter of walking down the hall and knocking on their door. For more informal exchanges, the academics, postgrads and administrative staff have a regularly scheduled LCT (Linguistics Coffee Time) to catch up with each other. For postgraduate students, this is a good opportunity to chat with fellow researchers and to share your experiences during what can often be a challenging time.

The Perks

Our PhD students who choose to complete their candidature on campus are provided with an office and computer. Externally enrolled PhD students visiting campus will be provided with an office and computer access for the duration of their stay.

There are frequent opportunities for our students to gain valuable teaching and academic work experience, which make them competitive candidates in the job market.

With regular seminars from various departments including our own Linguistics Seminar Series, our PHD students have the opportunity to present their research to a cross-disciplinary audience.

Students have the opportunity to apply for a conference travel grant during their candidature.

Funding opportunities

Many of our PhD students apply for a scholarship to fund their period of candidature. Domestic students can apply for an Australian Postgraduate Award (APA), and international students can apply for an International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS).

During candidature, students can apply for the Keith and Dorothy Mackay Travelling Scholarship to fund overseas travel.

Research Services Scholarships provides a complete list of scholarships available to UNE students.

How to Apply

If you are interested in completing your PhD with the UNE linguistics team, email our Postgraduate Coordinator to first establish supervision availability. Please include the following:
- project proposal (outline of the project, research questions, and details of the methods; about 4-5 pages)
- academic transcript
- CV
- information about research background (MA or other research conducted by you)
- IELTS score or equivalent (if non-native English speaker)

Once availability of appropriate supervision has been confirmed, to formally apply for a PhD in Linguistics, follow the links for Domestic HDR Candidature application form or International HDR Candidature application form.

Linguistics Units
Unit ID Unit Title Teaching Period Mode Res School Exam
LING101 Introduction to Linguistics TRI-1 OF, ON None Yes
LING102 Foundations of Linguistics TRI-2 OF, ON None Yes

Communicating in culturally diverse contexts

TRI-2 OF, ON None Yes
LING244 Language and the Law TRI-1, TRI-3 OF, ON None Yes
LING350 (formerly LING250) Communicating in Culturally Diverse Contexts TRI-2 OF, ON None Yes
LING305 Meaning in Language Not currently offered   None Yes
LING353 The English Language TRI-1 or TRI-2  None No
LING362 Second Language Acquisition TRI-2 even years OF,
None No
LING363 Bilingualism TRI-1 odd years ON,OL None No
LING364 First Language and Literacy Acquisition Odd years ON,ON None No
LING365 Phonetics and Phonology TRI-2 even years  None Yes
LING366 Australia's Indigenous Languages TRI-1 even years  None No
LING369 Morphology and Syntax TRI-2 odd years OF,ON None Yes
LING371 Sociolinguistics and Language Ecology TRI-2 odd years OF,ON None Yes
LING380 The Languages of Asia Not currently offered   None NO
LING401H Linguistics Hons Coursework YR-LONG-1, YR-LONG-2 OF, ON None No
LING402H Linguistics Hons Dissertation YR-LONG-1, YR-LONG-2 OF, ON None No
LING505 Meaning in Language Not currently offered   None No
LING450 (formerly LING550) The Design of Language TRI-1 OL None No
LING451 (formerly LING551) Issues in Applied Linguistics TRI-2 OL None No
LING552 Intercultural Communication TRI-2 OL None No
LING553 The English Language TRI-1 or TRI-2 OL None No
LING561 Research Methods in Second Language Acquisition TRI-1 OL None No
LING562 Second Language Acquisition TRI-2 even years OL None No
LING563 Bilingualism TRI-1 odd years OL None No
LING564 First Language and Literacy Acquisition TRI-1 odd years OL None No
LING565 Phonetics and Phonology TRI-2 even years  None No
LING566 Australia's Indigenous Languages TRI-1 even years   None No
LING569 Morphology and Syntax TRI-2 odd years OL None No
LING571 Sociolinguistics and Language Ecology TRI-2 odd years OL None No
LING572 Multilingual Approaches to TESOL Not currently offered OL None No
LING580 The Languages of Asia Offered   None No
LING599 (formerly LING600) Dissertation in Linguistics or Applied Linguistics TRI-1, TRI-2, TRI-3,YR-LONG-H1, YR-LONG-H2, YR-LONG-H3 OL None No
EDLI502 TESOL 1 TRI-1 OF, OL, ON Non-mandatory No
EDLI504 TESOL 2 TRI-2 OF, OL, ON None No
EDLA523 Second Language Aquisition: Applications TRI-2 OF None No

This information reflects planning for the next 2 years. However, be aware that the unit offerings can change due to unforeseen circumstances. Please, check the Course and Unit Catalogue for complete and up-to-date information on units.